Coffeehouse Thread

70 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How to enter the Code'n my way to PDC Contest

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Michael Lehman

Yes, there will be internet access on the evaluation machine.

• User profile image
    Michael Lehman

Can you provide more information?

Also, the Known Issues doc says:

1. When running the solution within the VS .NET IDE please confirm that the port number assigned to the ASP .NET Development Server matches the settings in the Client project settings designer.  For example, in http://localhost:34052/sharewareservice the port number is 34052.  This URL is visible by clicking on the ASP .NET Development Server tray icon once the Web Project is started.  For the Client web services to contact the server web services, the client must contact the services on the correct port.  You may check the Client port settings by selecting properties for the SskWebService reference and viewing the URL. 

Could that be your problem?  Are you sure you're config which defaults to port 1956 is the same as the actual port the web service is running on?

• User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

Hi,
    Yesterday I wanted to implement the SSK into the app I plan to enter, but couldn't even get the sample to work.

I always receive the following error message:

"An unknown error occurred while contacting the server.There was an error during asynchronous processing. Unique state object is required for multiple asynchronous simultaneous operations to be outstanding."

Any ideas what might be causing this??

• User profile image
    CareBear

Exception using Shareware Starter Kit with Click-Once deployment:

I keep getting this error message the first time my application is ran using Click-Once deployment.

Subsequent launches of the same application does not fail:

System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format. at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal) at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info) at System.Version..ctor(String version) at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.CreateVersion(String name) at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.GetPreviousConfigFileName(Boolean isRoaming) at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.Upgrade(SettingsContext context, SettingsPropertyCollection properties, Boolean isRoaming) at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.Upgrade(SettingsContext context, SettingsPropertyCollection properties) at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.Upgrade() at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.GetPropertyValue(String propertyName) at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName) at Client.Properties.Settings.get_LoggingEnabled() at SSK.SSKClient.UIHelper.Logger.Log(String s) at SSK.SSKClient.ClientStorage.DataStore..ctor(Form form) at MyApp.Program.Main()

Hope I can fix this before the submission deadline or else the application will always fail the first run Sad
  • User profile image
    kcchesnut

just to be clear, when is the actual cutoff date and time (PST) for entries?

• User profile image
    juliangall

Please could someone explain how the ASP .NET development server gets started. I can run the SSK Sample successfully and this starts the ASP .NET Development Server and puts its icon in the tray.

I've integrated the client modules into my own program. However, my program fails if the Development Server icon is not in the tray to start with. How come it starts when the Sample runs but not when my program runs?

Should my program be starting the development server or is this just something the Sample does to make things easy?

Thanks,

Julian

• User profile image
    CareBear

SSK Source Update

Use of deprecated classes in SSK.Server.SendMail class. It's using System.Web.Mail namespace classes for sending e-mail, while .NET Framework 2.0 has a new namespace for sending e-mails, namely System.Net.Mail.

Below is an updated version of the "sendmail.cs" file inside the App_Code folder of the sharewareservice part of SSK.

This update makes it possible to send e-mail from your localhost without IIS SMTP Service installed.

using System;
    using System.Net.Mail;
    using System.Configuration;
    using System.Data.SqlClient;
    using Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data;

namespace SSK.Server
    {
    /// <summary>
    /// Summary description for SendMail.
    /// </summary>
    public class SendMail
    {

private MailMessage _message;

//constructor
    public SendMail() { }

/// <summary>
    /// Send an email to the user with their license information
    /// </summary>
    /// <param name="invoice">The invoice for the transaction</param>
    /// <param name="authLicense">The product key generated by the system.</param>
    public void SendMailApprovedLicense(string invoice, string authLicense)
    {
    SqlDataReader reader = SqlHelper.ExecuteReader(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["SQLConnectionString"], "SendMailApprovedLicense", invoice);

if (reader.HasRows)
    {
    reader.Read();
    string body;
    string to = (string)reader["Email"];
    string subject = "Your product has been activated.";
    body = "<table width=\"500\"><tr><td>";
    body += "Dear " + (string)reader["Firstname"] + ",<br><br><br>";
    body += "Thank you for activating your product. Please make a note of the following information ";
    body += "for future reference:<br><br>";
    body += "</td></tr>";
    body += "<tr><td width=\"500\">";
    body += "Product Key: " + invoice + " ";
    body += "<br><br>";
    body += "</td></tr>";
    body += "<tr><td>";
    body += "Thank you,<Br>";
    body += ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["FromName"] + "<br><br>";
    body += ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["FromEmail"];
    body += "</td></tr>";
    body += "</table>";

try
    {
    Send(subject, body, to);
    }
    catch
    {
    //fail gracefully if the mail doesn't send
    }
    }
    }

public void Send(string subject, string body, string to)
    {
    _message = new MailMessage();
    _message.IsBodyHtml = true;
    _message.From = new MailAddress(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["FromEmail"]);
    _message.Subject = subject;
    _message.Body = body;
    _message.To.Add(to);

SmtpClient smtp = new SmtpClient(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["SMTP"]);
    smtp.Send(_message);
    }
    }
    }

• User profile image
    Michael Lehman

August 12th, 23:59PM Pacific Daylight Time

• User profile image
    PJausovec

Will there be Office 2003 and/or Outlook 2003 installed on evaluation machine?

• User profile image
    joeisadotnet

Hello, my name is Joe and i am 10 years old, why can't i enter. I could make an realy good program and i would love absaloutly love to go to the PDC 05.

• User profile image
    Michael Lehman

PJausovec wrote:
    Will there be Office 2003 and/or Outlook 2003 installed on evaluation machine?

I'm sure we can accomodate that.

• User profile image
    Michael Lehman

joeisadotnet wrote:
    Hello, my name is Joe and i am 10 years old, why can't i enter. I could make an realy good program and i would love absaloutly love to go to the PDC 05.

Joe,  Sorry, there is alcohol served at PDC events and everyone must be at least 21 years old to attend.

• User profile image
    dahat

Before I put the finishing touches on my entry (and a night of testing), I need to confirm a couple of things...

The judges will be running the Shareware Starter Kit service on the local machine, will it be the same service and DB that is available to us all and has been since the start of this contest?

If the above is true, given that it is the same DB, are our apps are to use the same information as the sample client when it comes to those values used to distinguish one app from another in the eyes of the service/DB (ie ProductName, DevID, etc)?

I just want to make sure that I am accounting for any meaningful differences between the machine(s) that my app will be run on compared to those I have already have and continue to test with.

• User profile image
    Michael Lehman

Yes, we will be using a VPC that will be re-initialized to judge each application.  The VPC will have VS2005 B2 and the SSK installed.  This means that it will have the same DB, product name, etc. that you have been testing with.

• User profile image
    joeisadotnet

Can I just watch over the net and get the things their using.

• User profile image
    Michael Lehman

dbates wrote:

Can the application be packaged in a MSI, rather than a collection of binaries and assemblies.

The MSI could be zipped up with a screen shot?

Yes, that is the required packaging.

• User profile image
    Michael Lehman

danv303 wrote:
    How complete are you expecting the entries to be?  I think I can get my project into a polished beta state - mostly usable but some rough edges.  I expect to be starting the beta testing phase when around the due date - would it reflect badly on my submission?

We do expect everything to be "beta" at some level.

Of course, if it crashes all the time, that would not be so good... <smile>

• User profile image
    Michael Lehman

joeisadotnet wrote:
    Can I just watch over the net and get the things their using.

You are certainly welcome to download the tools and submitted applications.  We just can't award you the prize.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.