Coffeehouse Thread

70 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How to enter the Code'n my way to PDC Contest

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    kcchesnut

could you make sure the test machine has the August 05 release of (Managed) DirectX installed?

and if you happen to have a web cam around ... not necessary ... but it'll make it sexy Smiley

• User profile image
    dahat

*grumble grumble* Jeff! With 3 extra days available I’ve got a chance to polish off a couple of things I didn’t have time for and fix a couple of bugs that I accidentally let slip into my final rev.

I’m always happy to have the chance to improve my code, but why oh why are you forcing all of this extra time on me?

• User profile image
    GaryShort

LOL, I know what you mean. If I'd not already put my entry in I could wire up a few more web/blog search engines, but at the end of the day it would have been the same entry, just with more searches, I think you get the idea with the 5 I included Smiley

• User profile image
    dahat

After waking up after about 4 hours after submitting my entry I found an unfortunate bug in mine that causes the error reporting form to be displayed anytime a message is bubbled up from the bowels of my program, rather than just when an unknown/unhandled error occurs.

Add to that a couple of friends pointing out a few typos in the manual, tutorial and EULA and I figured I would take this extension as a blessing (ability to improve), rather than the curse it is too (having to wait that much longer for the final results).

I could be wrong Gary, but I do not recall anywhere in the rules that says anything to the effect of “once you’ve submitted your entry, you cannot modify or replace it, even if such a change occurs prior to the submission end”, I say go for it.

• User profile image
    Robowho?

Good thing I looked at this thread just before submitting myself. Maybe I can solve that SSK timing bug that bites me on one of the machines in the meantime.

• User profile image
    GaryShort

dahat wrote:

I could be wrong Gary, but I do not recall anywhere in the rules that says anything to the effect of “once you’ve submitted your entry, you cannot modify or replace it, even if such a change occurs prior to the submission end”, I say go for it.

Hmmmm, I don't know, the rules clearly say one entry per email address, and there doesn't seem to be a mechanism for replacing your entry. I wouldn't want to get disqualified at this stage in the game Smiley

• User profile image
    dahat

Thursday morning when I was working to submit my entry I kept being unsatisfied with much of what I was saying or the look of it... so, I’d preview, edit, preview, edit, etc.

Midway through I noticed something, every time I would go back to reedit a previewed post, my uploaded image and zip would be lost. Finally at the end in fact, I accidentally made my post without having my zip or image added, so I went back and quickly made the change.

While I haven’t done so yet (other than after my initial post when I discovered that the files were not attached), you can edit a post, in so doing removing the attached files and be able to add new ones. I also noticed this when I was tweaking my post originally before submitting it, each time you would go back from a preview, I would lose the already uploaded files.

You do raise a good point though... and there is one sure way to find out.

Say Ultra, as the latest ‘Softie to post here and one who seems to have some knowledge with regards to the rules and what not... what would be your ruling on this (or you are not the person to ask, who would be)? Are entrants able to edit their entries after they have already been submitted, just so long as all editing occurs prior to the close of the contest entry time?

• User profile image
    Michael Lehman

dahat wrote:

Say Ultra, as the latest ‘Softie to post here and one who seems to have some knowledge with regards to the rules and what not... what would be your ruling on this (or you are not the person to ask, who would be)? Are entrants able to edit their entries after they have already been submitted, just so long as all editing occurs prior to the close of the contest entry time?

As the "contestmaster", I am happy to assist if you have trouble "replacing" your entry.  If you need to have a previous entry deleted, just let me know.  The purpose of the "rule" is, of course, to prevent someone from entering multiple times.

Regards,

Michael Lehman (aka UltraGuy)

• User profile image
    dahat

Excellent, thanks for the info Michael (now that I know your name).

To add to that, if between now and Monday at 23:59:59 PDT; should I have a new version of my entry... would I need to have you nuke my entire original entry thread, or can I simply edit my original post and while there upload the new version?

• User profile image
    Wesner Moise

Hi, Michael does the contest deadline extension also apply to the Blog contest?

• User profile image
    Michael Lehman

dahat wrote:

Excellent, thanks for the info Michael (now that I know your name).

To add to that, if between now and Monday at 23:59:59 PDT; should I have a new version of my entry... would I need to have you nuke my entire original entry thread, or can I simply edit my original post and while there upload the new version?

I believe you can just edit your post but if you have trouble just upload a second entry and let me know and I'll delete the first one.

• User profile image
    Michael Lehman

Wesner Moise wrote:
    Hi, Michael does the contest deadline extension also apply to the Blog contest?

Yes, I just updated the top post for that contest as well.  They share the same set of rules.

• User profile image
    GaryShort

Thanks for the info re the coding competition Michael, now, where's my keyboard? Smiley

• User profile image
    dahat

So winners were announced, I never bothered to look at the actual thread, just kept waiting for an official (new) posting here or somewhere else.

Congrats to kcchesnut and PJausovec!

• User profile image
    briant

This may be late for you guys, but the free hosted service for the Shareware Starter Kit is now up at sharewarestarterkit.com.  Once you create an account a developer token is created.  The site also gives you tools to view the submissions.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

briant wrote:

This may be late for you guys, but the free hosted service for the Shareware Starter Kit is now up at sharewarestarterkit.com.  Once you create an account a developer token is created.  The site also gives you tools to view the submissions.

Dragging up every old thread that mentions the shareware dev kit isn't really going to help you get more customers for your site, you know. Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.