Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

What is Microsoft doing about GMail?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

what if ms were to partner with google..
    (hear me out..)

the answer to this post is: Use/get ALL

@hotmail
    @msn
    @gmail

they tried to buy them ... didnt work out - aol actually owns more i believe.

but instead of DEMOLISHING google - a brand and service it is clear that consumers and even devs like, they supported it - made them the defacto search - capitalised on all that do -good touchy feely google stuff - "do no evil"

you cant buy them - but if you could even INCLUDE them in windows search/mail to run / with you.. - it would do alot in repairing ms CRUSH COMPETITORS notions -

ya- search is hot - but people like google - WAY more than netscape.. Google has spent 5 years being cute and bunnyrabbit simple ( most valuable global brand 2004). Crushing them will be your undoing ( i believe anyway)

"we have only to remove those who oppose us"

not.

ps - ya i know... "Google is pathetic compared to what we want to do"
    Jim Alchin 2004

translation: everyones favourite site is crap to ms - *insulting customers is a no no Wink

PPS - youd have to view them as a "Saturn" within GM but that you didnt own
    *Saturn is notorious for NOT doing anything GM corp wants all brands to do

• User profile image
    sbc

Partnering with Google may be a good idea. They already have the expertise and it will save both time and money. Also, other companies could partner with Google (i.e. RedHat, Novell, IBM) and a cross-browser cross-platform search would be possible - you could do a search on any desktop/device. Also you would reach out to non-Windows users (which probably never use MSN search).

However, it may not be good for competition, but you could always have multiple partners (choice to search with Yahoo, Google or AllTheWeb - or search them all at once and have one big search).

• User profile image
    lars

GMail accounts are going for $60-70 on eBay now. That's just nuts! I'm curious and would like to have a first hand look at it. But seriously, what's wrong with people!

/Lars.

• User profile image
    jamie

Knute - check this out, it should lead the way to getting rid of the things you dont like about gmail:

http://news.com.com/Lawmaker+tones+down+anti-Gmail+bill/2100-1025_3-5220492.html?tag=nefd.top

COURT:

1. - its ok for machines to read stuff + LAW = you cant show employees

2. You HAVE to delete emails if user says so

• User profile image
    peteri

Lars, I have no idea about the ebay market. A friend of mine who is a Tech Journalist has one to give away and everyone he's offered it too has turned it down (I turned it down too).
    It just doesn't give me anything useful, I have my own domain, webmail access to a decently spam filtered email address so what does gmail offer me apart from adverts?

• User profile image
    lars

Send him to me. Smiley

Email is email. It's not that I need another account. I'm just curious by nature.

/Lars.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.