Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Cure to CTP Madness now available on C9!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Charles
  • User profile image
    rhm

Looks cool. I tend to stay away from CTPs for exactly the reasons stated but I'll give that page a look the next time I'm tempted.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Charles wrote:

Haha, cool c9 feature.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

That's a great feature Charles but can you list those products alphabetically in that listbox?

• User profile image
    Charles

ZippyV wrote:
    That's a great feature Charles but can you list those products alphabetically in that listbox?

Sure. Probably tomorrow...

C

• User profile image
    staceyw

Thanks C.  That will help going forward.  Cheers.

WJS

• User profile image
    Charles

BTW, besides the CTP Madness cure, Brad and Jason have some other great ideas around CTP installations going forward. Stay tuned.

C

• User profile image
    Charles

staceyw wrote:
    Thanks C.  That will help going forward.  Cheers.

WJS

Note that they are ordered by release date. I'm assuming you're aking for alphabetical ordering...

C

• User profile image
    AnnieW

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble uninstalling Avalon.
    Here are two possible workarounds you can try:
    1. manually clean up Avalon install using msizap.exe
    Here are the steps:

1. Download msizap.zip from www.huydao.net/setup/msizap.zip and unzip to get msizap.exe
    2. From the command line window, run msiexec.exe /x {397F147C-882E-4E9D-92D2-FE1D61E2729A}
    3. Then run msizap.zip {397F147C-882E-4E9D-92D2-FE1D61E2729A}

2. Uninstall FX Beta 2, rEinstall .NET FX Beta 1 and uninstall Avalon Nov. release. Then reinstall FX Beta 2 and the latest Avalon

Let me know how it goes. Good luck!

Annie.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    figuerres

Charles wrote:

thanks!

I know I have "been there"  and it can be a scarey place.... Smiley

I think part of learning to be a good dev is like the anti-drug thing...

"Just say no" to some of the early builds unless you are ready to spend time in a "operating system rehab clinic" for a week.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Installations should NOT be dependent on the .net framework.

• User profile image
    CRPietschma​nn

Programous wrote:
    AnnieW wrote:

Here are the steps:

1. Download msizap.zip from www.huydao.net/setup/msizap.zip and unzip to get msizap.exe
    2. From the command line window, run msiexec.exe /x {397F147C-882E-4E9D-92D2-FE1D61E2729A}

2. Uninstall FX Beta 2, rEinstall .NET FX Beta 1 and uninstall Avalon Nov. release. Then reinstall FX Beta 2 and the latest Avalon
    >

Annie.>

Thanks for the suggestion, but when I run “msiexec.exe /x {397F147C-882E-4E9D-92D2-FE1D61E2729A}” I get the error “You must install v2.0.40607 of the Common Language Runtime before installing Microsoft Avalon CTP” Which, of course, is installed. But v2.0.50215 is also installed. Is there any command line switch to override that error?

Whoa, be carefull man. Before uninstalling any beta version of .NET 2.0 you must first uninstall all dependant component/products first. Then uninstall .NET 2.0 Beta.
    Look here for more info: http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/get/vsbeta2installissues/default.aspx

Before you go and try to install Avalon Nov. CTP, just be aware that it requires .NET 2.0 Beta 1. If you have .NET 2.0 Beta 2 installed and still want to play around with Avalon, then you will have to install Avalon Beta 1 RC. The same goes for Indigo.

• User profile image
    CRPietschma​nn

ZippyV wrote:
    Installations should NOT be dependent on the .net framework.

If the product you are installing is dependant on the .NET Framework then Yes it should. Or, at least when installing it should install the framework if you don't have it.

• User profile image
    CRPietschma​nn

figuerres wrote:

I know I have "been there"  and it can be a scarey place.... Smiley

I think part of learning to be a good dev is like the anti-drug thing...

"Just say no" to some of the early builds unless you are ready to spend time in a "operating system rehab clinic" for a week.

Yes, that can be true, but you don't need to worry about any of that if you use VirtualPC to run a seperate install over your main OS.

• User profile image
    AnnieW

Programous wrote:
    AnnieW wrote:

Here are the steps:

>

Annie.>

Thanks for the suggestion, but when I run “msiexec.exe /x {397F147C-882E-4E9D-92D2-FE1D61E2729A}” I get the error “You must install v2.0.40607 of the Common Language Runtime before installing Microsoft Avalon CTP” Which, of course, is installed. But v2.0.50215 is also installed. Is there any command line switch to override that error?

[AW] msiexec.exe /x basically means uninstall the product specified. In this case, I suggest you go ahead with step #3 to user msizap.exe to remove the Avalon manually. Let's see how it goes. Good luck!

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.