Coffeehouse Thread

89 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

WMP10 Advertising

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

'lo

Is there any way to remove the advertising from WMP10? I don't like having the "MSN Music UK" button and logo shoved in my face when I run the program.

I can't find any GP Settings for it either... surely there must be a way to disable it (lest the "corporate"/"big biz" market not be happy with the product)

• User profile image
    Tensor

Yeah its called Winamp.

• User profile image
    Shaded

W3bbo wrote:
    'lo

Is there any way to remove the advertising from WMP10? I don't like having the "MSN Music UK" button and logo shoved in my face when I run the program.

I can't find any GP Settings for it either... surely there must be a way to disable it (lest the "corporate"/"big biz" market not be happy with the product)

In 8 there is an option under player to "Start player in media guide" It looks like they eliminated it in 10.  I'm betting the reg key is still backwards compatible or the newer version does not start there by default.  I hate that thing with a passion and killed it long ago.  I'm running 10 and never see it.

Here are some techies talking about 10 does not start that way at all but 8 allows you to turn it off?  *shrug*  YMMV

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

If you don't want stores, then just go back to WMP9. That's all that's added in 10 and that's all it was made for.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

NeoTOM wrote:
    If you don't want stores, then just go back to WMP9. That's all that's added in 10 and that's all it was made for.

That's not true. There's auto playlists, portable device synchronisation, and more.

• User profile image
    Shaded

NeoTOM wrote:

I have 10 and I don't get the store ever.

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

Shaded wrote:
    NeoTOM wrote: If you don't want stores, then just go back to WMP9. That's all that's added in 10 and that's all it was made for.

You mean there's no butterfly in the corner? No napster fella or FYE isocles-trianglish-thing?

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

Sven Groot wrote:
    NeoTOM wrote: If you don't want stores, then just go back to WMP9. That's all that's added in 10 and that's all it was made for.

That's not true. There's auto playlists, portable device synchronisation, and more.

Added in WMP9, sync's been around since... 7, I believe. Next please!

• User profile image
    MasterPi

The MSN butterfly in the right hand corner doesn't really annoy me as it's just a logo.  For me to actually be slightly irritated about the concept of online stores in WMP10, I'd have to actually click the music tab.

Other than that, WMP10 is fine.

mVPstar

• User profile image
    Shaded

NeoTOM wrote:
    Shaded wrote:

You mean there's no butterfly in the corner? No napster fella or FYE isocles-trianglish-thing?

Sure I have a butterfly (why do I feel slightly uncomfortable saying that?), and the other options, but WMP 10 for me always starts in the library.

I believe the original question was how to avoid it whenever it starts up.

W3 if you close it while in library mode, and it does not open back up in library mode but redirects to the media guide, let me know.  I'll windiff some registry settings and find out precisely what key you need to add to avoid that guide on startup.

I'm assuming its a key because Microsoft loves that registry.

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

mVPstar wrote:
    The MSN butterfly in the right hand corner doesn't really annoy me as it's just a logo.  For me to actually be slightly irritated about the concept of online stores in WMP10, I'd have to actually click the music tab.

Other than that, WMP10 is fine.

mVPstar

But imagine if you're W3bbo, the guy who'd be annoyed if you capitalized letters in your HTML tags.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Tensor wrote:

Yeah its called Winamp.

Winamp sucks, and sucks bad.  Stop living in the 90s.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

DoomBringer wrote:
    Tensor wrote:

Yeah its called Winamp.

Winamp sucks, and sucks bad.  Stop living in the 90s.

Winamp:

• Uses 11MB RAM
    • The equalizer uses less CPU cycles and sounds better
    • Uses less CPU cycles all-around
    • Works great with my multimedia keyboard and lets me reprogram my keys
    • Doesn't have built-in advertising
    • Lets you remove stuff you don't want (like "modern skins" and visualisations) for a smaller memory footprint
    • Is easily skinnable
    • Has an open plugin API
    Why should I use WMP (or iTunes) as my main player then?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Last time I checked (which was a while ago, admittedly), WinAmp 5 didn't work in a limited user account at all.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

W3bbo wrote:
    'lo

Choose a different online store.

It's not, strictly speaking, advertising.

It's a feature. And, if you use the feature, quite a useful one. Sign up to Napster and use the Napster online store. The three buttons change to Napster services, the logo changes to Napster as well.

The purpose of the logo is to tell you which online store you are hooked into. WMP10 support, out of the box, 16 stores.  One of which is MSN Music - which is also the default.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Michael Griffiths wrote:
    The purpose of the logo is to tell you which online store you are hooked into. WMP10 support, out of the box, 16 stores.  One of which is MSN Music - which is also the default.

Yes, but I don't want /any/ stores, so why isn't there an option to turn off the whole "Supplier pane" ?

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

W3bbo wrote:

Yes, but I don't want /any/ stores, so why isn't there an option to turn off the whole "Supplier pane" ?

No.

Use a skin.

There's a WinAMP-WMP skin converter on Micosoft's site somewhere. I'm sure you can find one you like.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Michael Griffiths wrote:
    No.
    There's a WinAMP-WMP skin converter on Micosoft's site somewhere. I'm sure you can find one you like.

That's not really answering my question.

Although, could I create my own "store" and give it a blank image as the logo?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.