Coffeehouse Thread

45 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Ask Bill Gates

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

I did have the chance to have a 5 second conversation with Bill Gates at PDC 2003, where he thanked me for coming to the event and was whisked away but I have a question for the forum here.  If you had a chance to ask Bill Gates one question, what would you ask him?

My one question for anyone really , who will be the keynote speakers at PDC 2005?

• User profile image
    Manip

rjdohnert wrote:
    If you had a chance to ask Bill Gates one question, what would you ask him?

I'd ask him: What exactly do you do now at Microsoft, except attend shows and such?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Any one of the following:

a) Do you have any POSIX machines? (At home/work/whatever)
    b) Is it true you're autistic?
    c) What's with your Sears Sweater fetish?
    d) Is it true you're planning to take over the government once you've got enough money to buy them out?
    e) What are your words of wisdom to the hundreds of students who drop out of college and set up their own software companies, only to fail miserably?
    f) Can you lend me a few million? Smiley

• User profile image
    Shaded

rjdohnert wrote:
    If you had a chance to ask Bill Gates one question, what would you ask him?

I'd ask "Hey Bill, how's it goin'?"

I'm sure he's heard the rest already.

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

W3bbo wrote:
    d) Is it true you're planning to take over the government once you've got enough money to buy them out?

"Oh, monopoly's just a game, Senator. I'm trying to take over the f'ing world."

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo wrote:

He can have the Dutch government for all I care. Everything's better than the current lot.

• User profile image
    on

W3bbo wrote:
    f) Can you lend me a few million?

Can you give me a few million? Smiley

• User profile image
    littleguru

My question would be: describe me a typical day in your life.

• User profile image
    Maurits

W3bbo wrote:
    e) What are your words of wisdom to the hundreds of students who drop out of college and set up their own software companies, only to fail miserably?

Wow... interesting question, especially since so many of those companies competed directly with Microsoft.  And especially given Microsoft's current ad campaigns - "we see the potential in you" or some such.  Basically, "you're a genius, don't worry about spending money on good, expensive software"

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Can I have some money? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Will you be my friend? Smiley

EDIT: And can I have some money as well? Big Smile

mVPstar

• User profile image
    Svendawg

Have you seen Elvis and how is he?

• User profile image
    manickernel

How different are your goals today than 20 years ago?
    What purpose drives you the most?

• User profile image
    fdezjose

Can I see your credit card for a second? Can I touch it? RUN!

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Once you crush Steve Jobs and his MacTel, who will be your arch-nemesis?

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Beer28 wrote:
    Dear Bill Gates,

I bought a Dell laptop about 2-3 months ago and they made me get a windows XP home license with the hardware, which I never used.
    I did not boot the system into windows at all and wiped out the hard drive with my fedora core linux installation.

I still have the windows XP disks in the shrink wrapping, unused.

I would like a refund for the windows OEM software that your company's agreement with Dell forced me to buy.

I can mail you the OEM disks and a copy of the receipt for the laptop immediately. Can you please get me a proper address to send it to?

Thanks,
    Beer

Linus Torvalds did it.  Linus is a jerk!

• User profile image
    Shaded

DoomBringer wrote:
    Beer28 wrote: Dear Bill Gates,

I bought a Dell laptop about 2-3 months ago and they made me get a windows XP home license with the hardware, which I never used.
    I did not boot the system into windows at all and wiped out the hard drive with my fedora core linux installation.

I still have the windows XP disks in the shrink wrapping, unused.

I would like a refund for the windows OEM software that your company's agreement with Dell forced me to buy.

I can mail you the OEM disks and a copy of the receipt for the laptop immediately. Can you please get me a proper address to send it to?

Thanks,
    Beer

Linus Torvalds did it.  Linus is a jerk!

Dear Linus Torvalds,

I spent better part of two weekends trying to get red hat to jam with my GeForce2go in something other than 16 colors on my inspiron 9000 (or was it 5000).  I even had the help of some of the most famous Linux people in the world, I'm sure you know on a day to day basis.

I would never consider asking for my two weekends back from you or any Red Hat related software developer, because I value the knowledge I gained in those four days, and my other months I spent swearing at my various Linux boxes.

However would you kindly tell Beer to quit bugging Bill and get over it.

Regards,

Shaded

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.