Coffeehouse Thread

38 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows across multiple hard drives

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    NeoTOM

Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Do you mean installing Windows on a striped RAID?

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

I mean using Windows with multiple non-RAIDed drives.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I do that right now. Except they're different volumes seen in My Computer.

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

W3bbo wrote:
    I do that right now. Except they're different volumes seen in My Computer.

? What's with the "except"?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I think he wants to spread the actual Windows installation folder over multiple volumes. I don't think that can be done, though.

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

Sven Groot wrote:
    I think he wants to spread the actual Windows installation folder over multiple volumes. I don't think that can be done, though.

No, I just mean using it.

• User profile image
    Maurits

You can do software RAID with multiple drives to treat them as a single volume.  But if they're different sizes, some of the bigger drive goes to waste.

Not sure how to set that up for a boot device though.

EDIT: Sven beat me to it again... I'm tempted to put in a feature request for "Two other posts have been made to this thread since you started composing this post (here they are) [Post anyway] [Edit post] [Cancel post]"

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

Shmuelpro wrote:
    why in the world would you want to do that?

Running out of space on an 80-gig hard drive?

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Can't the system boot off a spanned volume set?

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

What I do is I have two HDs.  One for games, etc, one for windows and other apps.  I put my swap file on the non-windows drive.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Tom Servo wrote:
    Can't the system boot off a spanned volume set?

Good question.  How do you load software raid before the OS?  I could see how it would be possible with mirrored drives, but not with RAID 0... or RAID 5 with more than two drives...

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

NeoTOM wrote:
    Sven Groot wrote: I think he wants to spread the actual Windows installation folder over multiple volumes. I don't think that can be done, though.

Okay, you've lost me. You're asking if you can use multiple hard drives with Windows? Of course you can. Heck I've got three hard drives myself, one 120GB SATA and two 80GB IDE drives.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Volume spans aren't RAID0, they're just disks/partitions chained up sequentially.

• User profile image
    Maurits

But boot.ini refers to hardware chaining to specify the boot device.  I don't think the boot loader can handle either volume spanning or software RAID (of any number.)

But I'm not sure.

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

Sven Groot wrote:
    NeoTOM wrote:
    Sven Groot wrote: I think he wants to spread the actual Windows installation folder over multiple volumes. I don't think that can be done, though.

Okay, you've lost me. You're asking if you can use multiple hard drives with Windows? Of course you can. Heck I've got three hard drives myself, one 120GB SATA and two 80GB IDE drives.

I know you can. I'm asking for tips on it, as Windows isn't very keen on it from previous experience.

• User profile image
    AndyC

NeoTOM wrote:

I know you can. I'm asking for tips on it, as Windows isn't very keen on it from previous experience.

???

Aside from the bad old 9x days, when adding a drive might upset drive letterings, I've never known a single issue arise from adding drives.

Care to elaborate?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.