Coffeehouse Thread

40 posts

Is VS.NET too expensive? I don't think so

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    footballism

tons of guys said that vs.net is just the way expensive,in fact,I don't think so,at leat in my country,vs.net just worth 0.5 us dollars, can ya believe that?

• User profile image
    henningms

Have you checked amazon.com ? It's abit for VS.NET.

• User profile image
    footballism

well,if you check all those thing in amazon.com,you cannot get the actual results.I have seen many ppls downloading VS.NET 2003 even Whidbey edtion from some secret ftp sites.and ya know we can get a lot of illegal copies of softwares with very low prices.because we just use those softwares for personal learning purpose,so I don't think I am againt the anti-privacy low if I use those private softwares,not to mention vs.net

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

I'm pretty sure you aren't going to find a sympathetic ear here. Many people here are developers who's job it is to develop software that you are stealing. Many of these developers already given you deep discounts if you're a student, and many schools allow for the purchase of software and hardware through your student loan.

I'd be very, very surprised if you found a sympathetic ear here.

• User profile image
    lars

My first impulse when I saw the post was to crack a joke about if it gets delivered on noname or brand CD-Rs. I thought you had found a misplaced decimal point on a website.

Dude, listen to Jeremy. You've made some seriously wrong turn somewhere.

/Lars.

• User profile image
    darklotus

Microsoft spent alot of time and money to create an application like this. The least anyone can do is spend some money, buy the application. Especially if people plan to make money off the software they sell that they made with VS.NET.

Microsoft even gave away the compiler for free (.NET Framework), if you want to use notepad, thats great, i use it all the time. VS.NET makes things 1000 times easier, its worth every penny.

Personally, i wish they would stop creating new versions every year. I hate dropping the dime for the newest version. But its an addiction.

-dL

• User profile image
    sbc

I suppose people can always use SharpDevelop - it is Open Source and does WinForms in C# or VB.NET (but unfortunately not very good at ASP.NET). As this gets better, it may help reduce the price of Visual Studio. Unless Microsoft sees it as a threat and gets the project shut down (through litigation or claims of patent infringement) - which would be a shame as I am sure they have many users that only use it because Visual Studio is expensive to them (I am talking about non-profits and government agencies not those that make a lot of money on development).

• User profile image
    Manip

In my opinion if you are using this software for personal education and you can not afford it then do it. Seriously, how many network admins buy a copy of Windows Advanced Server to learn on? In the computer industry if you want to make it sometimes you have to do some stuff..

Here are SOME areas where software piracy is often required (To learn):

Network Administration (Server, MS SQL, Exchange)
    3D Graphics / Advanced 2D animation
    Programming

In the UK VS6 student licence cost(ed) £87.. by the time I could afford to buy that my computing course would have been almost over and I would have been at a distinct disadvantage. I ended up using a evaluation copy and then moved onto a copy from a business (semi-legal.. legal CD but I don't think the licence is transferable).

Frankly I think to some extent Microsoft understands this practice.. that is why they don't go after individuals but more the pirates who sell this stuff. If for instance nobody could try some of the more expensive server tools or development packages then it would be incredibly expensive to learn. I would even go as fare as to say that almost everyone one of Microsoft's network guys has used a bogus copy of Windows server, before they started working.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Well, many many network admins get copies of these free as part of Action Packs, subscriptions to MSDN / TechNet / etc, or they grab 120 day demos.

3D graphics it isn't required, again, because of demos, promotions, discounts for students, etc.

Programming... Again.

Both graphic design and programming give you cheaper, or free, alternatives which are more than enough to learn on.

Personally? I wish more companies had "student packs" of all major software, for like 100$, so that students could do some serious learning. Lock it down so it's per-seat only licensing, and only give out 2 seats.

In some ways it's unrealistic, but agreed: the students of today are the CIO's of tomorrow. Treat them well now and they won't become open source guys Wink

• User profile image
    jonathanh

More companies?  You mean more colleges!  Microsoft has always negotiated with universities to get students access to cheap software. Somewhere I still have a Win95-era triple CDROM containing Office, the OS, and the dev tools of that era, for <$100 from my old grad school. These days I hear they're selling XP Pro to undergrads for $10!

So if your college isn't one of them, it's time to start asking why - find your student rep, make stuff happen, and get cheap (and legal) software for your education.

• User profile image
    Jaz

Office isn't in the MSDNAA, why not?

• User profile image
    Manip

I wonder how many non-US colleges do this? Very few I would assume..

• User profile image
    footballism

Jeremy W. wrote:
    I'd be very, very surprised if you found a sympathetic ear here.

it's not a matter of being sympathetic to all of you -devs.ya know,when ya can get those softwares at very low prices,why must I find my way to buy them at pretty high prices.it's not the fault of ppls who use illegal copied softwares,it's just the folks to be blamed,who make great fortune in illegally distrubiting softwares.

and you are talking about being sympathetic,why don't software vendors show any mercy to those guys who cannot afford to buy their softwares?

anyway that's the way I see it.

• User profile image
    darklotus

Can you be 100% sure that the illegal copy of software you download or purchase is 100% free of viruses and spyware? Can you be sure that everything is included and working 100%?

I am sure that no one will change how they obtain software by ready these posts. But there are plenty of legal ways of obtaining legal software at fair price. There are even 120 day demo's of most software. Thats how i learned SQL.

To each their own i guess...

-dL

• User profile image
    lars

Let me see. You steal the software. Then you brag about it. Then you ask for HELP? Interesting approach.

/Lars.

• User profile image
    footballism

lars wrote:

Let me see. You steal the software. Then you brag about it. Then you ask for HELP? Interesting approach.

/Lars.

well, I'm not bragging about what i had,ya know about everything which installed in my pc is illegally distributed softwares.that's pretty much common here.the real reason why I post this thread here is to show ya what I thought about pirate softwares.and I hope those guys in MS can make a real difference in the way they distribute their softwares.definitely you can get educational edition of MS softwares with fair price in US,then how about those places outside US?what we non-US ppls want is just a pretty fair play,no more ,no less.
    and I think everybody has his own freedom to ask for help here,I believe most of ppls here will give me some useful helps.

• User profile image
    AT

IMHO, Microsoft will change it's pricing policy for non-US countries and will charge based on per-capita income.
    I do not remember there I've read this (and even if it was published anywhere or simply imagination of my  brain) but this will happened in 2-3 years time-frame.

• User profile image
    warren

Manip wrote:
    I wonder how many non-US colleges do this? Very few I would assume..

My (small) college in Canada had this program.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.