Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

MONAD on schedule

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    gaelhatchue

The article can be found here

• User profile image
    Minh

MONAD will be a very cool glue technology that binds stuff together. But the apps have to be written to expose that object-oriented functionalities. It's not gonna come automatically, right? I wonder how much of the current stuff MONAD can use. Maybe this is what they meant by MONAD taking 3-5 yrs to fully deliver.

• User profile image
    on

microsoft.public.windows.developer.winfx.announcements
    Subject: Re: msh monad   5/25/2005 9:41 AM PST
    By: Brent Rector [MSFT]

Note: My current plan, as SDK tools PM, is that when the WinFX SDK Beta 1
    ships, it will include the Microsoft Command SHell as one of the SDK tools.
    We're all working hard to get it included and, so far, there seem to be no
    holdups. So keep an eye out for it!

Brent

• User profile image
    Cider

Minh wrote:
    MONAD will be a very cool glue technology that binds stuff together. But the apps have to be written to expose that object-oriented functionalities. It's not gonna come automatically, right? I wonder how much of the current stuff MONAD can use. Maybe this is what they meant by MONAD taking 3-5 yrs to fully deliver.

I think that's probably the main issue.

See, the problem with the "Monad misses Longhorn" thread is its a bit of a misnomer.  Its suggesting that Monad wont be ready by the time Longhorn is released, and this is also something which is insinuated by MJF's article.

Monad WILL be used in Exchange 12, which has had a rename to sync with Office and is scheduled for release at the same time as Office 12.  Now, here's the thing:  they are now scheduled for release BEFORE Longhorn.

I'm presuming that if they are talking about Monad being a full replacement for the command line structure across the whole software base, a 3-to-5 year timeline is required.  At least.  Unfortunately, as is the way with systems, no point getting the client done if its incompatible with the server, so I'd imagine the Windows Client functionality of Monad would be one of the last things to be developed.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Any word from Microsoft on this for Channel 9?  Is this true or is it more propaganda.

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

You know what makes me a Sizzler Salad? That Microsoft must have patented WinFS in 1992, and yet Apple's parading Spotlight around town, dressed all coming-on and all.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Beta1 has been released, check BetaPlace if you're in the beta program.

• User profile image
    eddwo

Spotlight isn't really WinFS. It could approach it with the addition of abitrary metadata, standard schemas, and more application level support, at the moment its really not that different from MSN and Google desktop search.
    The WinHEC demonstration of Longhorn showed similar searching, sorting and filtering built right into the shell, all without WinFS.

WinFS provides a framework like Core Data, a standard way of describing, storing and retrieving application data, and supporting synchronisation. But it leaves the data accessible to the shell and other applications to interpret.

Apple seems to roll out an initial version of a product, then successively improve it, Quartz -> Quartz Extreme -> Quartz2D Extreme + Core Image
    Microsoft is attempting to roll out the whole thing in one release cycle. Avalon + DWM + WGF1.0 etc.

• User profile image
    NuTcAsE

Monad Beta 1 has been released. I havn't had the chance to take it on a test run,  will probably do that this weekend. Good news though Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.