Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Wins?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    leighsword

For which Platforms do you develop?

Option Votes %  
    Windows 889 77.24 889 votes, 77.24%
    .NET 690 59.95 690 votes, 59.95%
    Linux 178 15.46 178 votes, 15.46%
    Java 164 14.25 164 votes, 14.25%
    Mac OSX 34 2.95 34 votes, 2.95%
    Unix (any flavour) 83 7.21 83 votes, 7.21%
    .NET Compact Framework 167 14.51 167 votes, 14.51%
    Any other PDA or Smart Device Framework 76 6.6 76 votes, 6.6%
    Responses 1151   
    data quote from http://www.codeproject.com/script/survey/detail.asp?survey=471

i guess 90% programmers from 690 votes is an ASP.NET programmer.

my question is which application do you focus on if you are a .net programmer?WinForm or WebForm?

• User profile image
    Tensor

Smart Client Tongue Out

• User profile image
    figuerres

I focus on what the client needs....

that determines what tech I use.

generaly a .Net smart client using win forms for desktop stuff and when the tasks need a more complex set of operations.

web for web sites and other web apps when needed.

but also classic windows stuff as the client needs it.

Excel,Word, MS Access, SQL Server and what ever else they need help with.

• User profile image
    Stebet

What i find amazing, even though the CodeProject population is largely Windows oriented, is the fact that .NET Compact Framework development exceeds Java :O

As a matter fact, i can't name ONE person that i know personally that develops Java applications. I know a bunch of .NET programmers and C++ coders however.

Do you guys think Java will last much longer as an enterprise platform?

• User profile image
    BigDataDev

>> Do you guys think Java will last
    >> much longer as an enterprise platform?

The Java Enterprise Platform is thriving.
    There is much excitement about the new EJB 3.0 spec.

IMO, it is much better than Microsoft's data-centric ADO.Net.

BTW, Microsoft's C-Omega effort is a good response to EJB 3.0's OR Mapping and XML-Object binding solution.
    http://www.research.microsoft.com/Comega/

• User profile image
    amotif

Stebet wrote:
    What i find amazing, even though the CodeProject population is largely Windows oriented, is the fact that .NET Compact Framework development exceeds Java

I don't think it would be amazing at all to find that respondents to a survey on a Windows-oriented site tend to be Windows or .NET programmers.

Stebet wrote:

As a matter fact, i can't name ONE person that i know personally that develops Java applications. I know a bunch of .NET programmers and C++ coders however.

I've been programming for Windows since '91 and most of the developers I know currently work in Java. I happen to be coding Java right now. Personally, I prefer developing for Windows. None of this means anything.

Stebet wrote:

Yes. I think there's a lot of momentum (and corporate will) behind J2EE and other Java technologies.

• User profile image
    BigDataDev

BTW, there are many more Java Developer job opportunities than Microsoft .Net.

Results form Dice.com:
     Java Developer - 4,492 job postings
     .Net Developer -   921 job postings

• User profile image
    Maurits

Beer28 wrote:
    and btw, the guys at code project can't do math. if you add all those results up it comes up to close to 200%

pffftttt.....

It said "platforms" - presumably you could check more than one box.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Beer28 wrote:
    and btw, the guys at code project can't do math. if you add all those results

That is normal in a poll where you can check more than one answer.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Beer28 wrote:

Why not conduct the same poll on slashdot and see what happens there.

Yes, and that will definitely be less biased. Smiley

mVPstar

• User profile image
    W3bbo

mVPstar wrote:
    Beer28 wrote:
    Why not conduct the same poll on slashdot and see what happens there.

Yes, and that will definitely be less biased.

In all honesty, not any more than the CodeProject one.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

I think in reality, Windows would still come out on top.  Though, .NET would not be so high.

OSX looks fine where it is Smiley

mVPstar

• User profile image
    wkempf

PocketXP wrote:
    >> Do you guys think Java will last
    >> much longer as an enterprise platform?

The Java Enterprise Platform is thriving.
    There is much excitement about the new EJB 3.0 spec.

IMO, it is much better than Microsoft's data-centric ADO.Net.

BTW, Microsoft's C-Omega effort is a good response to EJB 3.0's OR Mapping and XML-Object binding solution.
    http://www.research.microsoft.com/Comega/

I'll agree that Java is thriving, but I'm not sure why you're comparing EJB to ADO.Net.  Not related tech in any way.

• User profile image
    AndyC

W3bbo wrote:

In all honesty, not any more than the CodeProject one.

Well, not really. The CodeProject one makes no claims about being representative of anything but CodeProject visitors.

If you take any survey out of context and try to parade it as presenting something it wasn't intended to then it will likely look biased.

• User profile image
    leighsword

Tensor wrote:

Smart Client

smart client(=auto-update) is not a .net feature only, firefox is a Smart Client too.

• User profile image
    Tensor

leighsword wrote:
    Tensor wrote:

Smart Client

smart client(=auto-update) is not a .net feature only, firefox is a Smart Client too.

I didnt claim it was - I was answering your question.
    Auto update is not the only feature of a smartclient.

• User profile image
    iStation

leighsword wrote:
    ...my question is which application do you focus on if you are a .net programmer?WinForm or WebForm?

Console Application!
    Sad)

• User profile image
    irascian

Stebet wrote:

It is very firmly entranched as an enterprise platform and I believe will continue to do so for some time to come.

One example I know of from personal experience is the Ford Motor Company (it always makes me chuckle when The .Net Show make a gratuitous reference to "the Ford Motor Company" as if they were a key strategic Microsoft customer when the decision was made two years ago to move to J2EE for everything). Until that time Ford had been very much a "two-technology" shop with some apps being developed in J2EE and others using Microsoft technologies (primarily COM but .Net had started to gain a foothold in parts of the company).

Then two years ago the two new men at the top of IT(Ford USA) decided architecture, SOA and J2EE were the future and that no new projects could use Microsoft technologies - it was J2EE all the way. The reasons behind that decision had nothing whatsoever to do with the relative benefits of either technology in my opinion and that of most of the people I worked with (and rarely do in my experience) - let's just say the man at the top making the decision had worked for IBM sales and leave it at that!

I think there are many other companies in the same boat. Most common-sense shops don't like being reliant on one supplier and all of the enterprise companies I've worked at contracting have involved use of .Net and J2EE rather than exclusively one or the other.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.