Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Backup software

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rhm

I'm wondering what backup software people use at home and work (if any at all).

So far I've just been manually copying important files to an external drive which is a bit casual for my liking. However every time I looked at backup software it would always be really expensive and geared towards server backup to tape which isn't what I want. I want to backup a single machine to either DVD or external drives/network drives.

I think I found the product I'm after in Symantec LiveState Recovery Desktop. It backs up to various media as well as having a ton of other neat features. It's also quite inexpensive (insight are selling it for £47 in the UK). So I went to their website to find out more and on the Trial page they state "IMPORTANT: Please note, this is an Enterprise product. This product is not intended for home computing."
    What's up with that? I guess they just don't want to support a bunch of clueless home users at that price, but is there any reason why I couldn't use it at home? Has anyone here got experience of this product?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

They're probably making a reference to PHBs using the product.

Perhaps the £47 license is for a single machine (but not servers) in the enterprise/bigbiz arena.

But I use NTBackup (comes with Windows) and I'm content with it.

Although I'd be even happier if it integrated with SQL Server like it does with Exchange.

...and I'm dreading the day my HDD goes "clink!"

• User profile image
    blowdart

Expensive isn't the word.

I use Acronis TrueImage, 2 licenses for notebooks, 3 server licenses. Horrible cost. 3 servers backup to an external drive attached to one of them, full image taken nightly and rotated so I can go back 7 days.

Laptops get imaged to another external drive, because backing them up over wireless takes 6 hours on my G laptop and rather a lot longer on the B laptop.

However it works perfectly. When one laptop died I ordered a new drive, it arrived the next day, booted off the recovery CD which boots into Linux (*snicker*) saw the external drive and restored a full image. Downtime was roughly 14 hours.

(I didn't use ghost as it never, ever, saw the external drive on the laptop when in recovery mode. That was a waste of money)

• User profile image
    Cairo

NetBackup.

• User profile image
    TadejK

I use my own software.. a backup utility (written in .NET 2.0), which goes through every file and folder on my list, and if a file or folder has changed, it uploades the file(s) to a web server via a web service (yes, I know web services weren't ment for file transfers:)).
    It does so every night - on my computer and also on the server (the server data backs up to yet another server via the same process).
    I know there are better programs for doing this out there, but hey, I like to program Smiley

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

I'm working on a network version of backup, but I currently use

SynchronizeIt! to back up to a second hard drive.

• User profile image
    sbc

xcopy *.* "e:\backup\" /s /m

• User profile image
    Cairo

sbc wrote:
    xcopy *.* "e:\backup\" /s /m

If you're using xcopy, consider robocopy instead. It does a better job.

robocopy /Z /E /B /SEC /COPYALL /R:1 /W:5 (src) (dest)

• User profile image
    Shaded

W3bbo wrote:
    They're probably making a reference to PHBs using the product.

Perhaps the £47 license is for a single machine (but not servers) in the enterprise/bigbiz arena.

But I use NTBackup (comes with Windows) and I'm content with it.

Although I'd be even happier if it integrated with SQL Server like it does with Exchange.

...and I'm dreading the day my HDD goes "clink!"

Just schedule some file backups in the maintenance of SQL server and put those files on the tape.  Works like a charm.

W3bbo knows what he's talkin' 'bout.  There is beauty in simplicity and windows backup does not suffer from featureitis like most commercial backup software out there.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Shaded wrote:

Just schedule some file backups in the maintenance of SQL server and put those files on the tape.  Works like a charm.

W3bbo knows what he's talkin' 'bout.  There is beauty in simplicity and windows backup does not suffer from featureitis like most commercial backup software out there.

The problem with Windows Backup, or xcopy is that you can't restore unless you have an OS on the machine you want to restore from. With imaging backups it's slam a new hard drive in, answer a couple of dialogs and wait until you can reboot and it's done.

• User profile image
    sbc

Cairo wrote:
    sbc wrote:xcopy *.* "e:\backup\" /s /m

If you're using xcopy, consider robocopy instead. It does a better job.

robocopy /Z /E /B /SEC /COPYALL /R:1 /W:5 (src) (dest)

Can you download it seperately from the resource kit? Any other xcopy alternatives (free, OSS)?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.