Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Open Source "Values" PDF (C9/scoble mentioned)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

Scoble posted this on his blog today - which i found cool to read.  yes it's about marketing and OSS - but its pretty short and describes ( for me ) why i like OSS - even though i like windows etc

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

jamie wrote:
    Scoble posted this on his blog today - which i found cool to read.  yes it's about marketing and OSS - but its pretty short and describes ( for me ) why i like OSS - even though i like windows etc

Not surprisingly, I have a somewhat different take on this.

I don't see it as open source at all.  But I do see it as directly interacting with customers without a marketing company acting as a message filter.

But it's very exciting.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Arghhhh... I'll never get that time back again:

"5) Get Real
        Authenticity is one of the most valuable currencies in the transparent marketplace..."

Wasn't there an episode of South Park where stan kept asking his dog to "not be gay"?  This is equivalent to asking someone in marketing to "Be Authentic".

The saddest part is that this whole "Manifesto" as it calls itself is written to convince marketing people to change by marketing to them!!!!

Ugh...I need a shower.

• User profile image
    Maurits

ScanIAm wrote:
    Wasn't there an episode of South Park where stan kept asking his dog to "not be gay"?

Stan: Don't be gay, Spike!
    Spike (voiced by George Clooney:) (whimpers)

George Clooney's best role ever.

• User profile image
    jamie

haha - to be sure i didnt agree with the tactics in the second half - just the "threats posed" in the first part

...now if youll excuse me i have to go dress up like a stegasarus to hawk Office Wink

• User profile image
    Minh

ScanIAm wrote:

The saddest part is that this whole "Manifesto" as it calls itself is written to convince marketing people to change by marketing to them!!!!
    C'mon. "Marketing" isn't a dirty word. At least marketing a good product isn't. Think of it as bringing together a good product & someone who needs a good product.

• User profile image
    jamie

in a perfect scenario it does - but as the pdf states - people are using technology to shield themselves from ads/marketing

this is why the only logical - corporately sustainable outcome will be content infiltration of the media itself.

just like in the early days of adverting
    "This show brought to you by.." with logos right on set - and the star doing the pitch

product and marketing placement ( perhaps lines the charaters non-chalontly say) will be where it all slithers off to next Wink

• User profile image
    jamie

Beer28 wrote:

*if the get the facts marketing was open source, I would have debugged and rereleased it for sure.

lol

• User profile image
    jamie

but it does use OSS as a catalist/metaphor? for consumer angst regarding corp control and thier diminishing identity

* on another note...  did the pdf automatically open full screen for everyone? it did here - and when i got to last page their was NO exit.  i had to control alt del

i hate when that happens - good thing for sp2 haha
    ( i ALWAYS made the exit CLEAR!)

• User profile image
    jamie

so beer - you would say there can be no such thing as OSV (open source values)

i dont use linux - but i love the idea behind it

i like how consumers are banding together to get the truth out - where it is absent ( 5 media news corps)

doesnt open source seem to be the front of that ship?
    (not disputing your definition of open source)

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

jamie wrote:
    * on another note...  did the pdf automatically open full screen for everyone? it did here - and when i got to last page their was NO exit.  i had to control alt del

It opened full screen, but you really don't need to CTRL-ALT-DEL to get rid of it. I could get out of the full screen using ESC, and even if that hadn't worked, you'd still be able to close it with ALT-F4.

• User profile image
    jamie

i just thought it funny - YES - full screen is bad when used like that (although it looked great)

always have an EXIT or huge X somewhere

( i know alt f4 but was trying to keep it open and get out to copy the link url)

• User profile image
    jamie

well what about Jobs:

"We love open source. We think it's great"

and they use some - as ms does but the majority of osx is closed

so is this semantics on the percent of how open?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

jamie wrote:
    ( i know alt f4 but was trying to keep it open and get out to copy the link url)

ESC would've quit full screen and kept it open. And you could've alt-tabbed to other windows. Or used the Windown-key to open the start menu. Don't be so quick to reach for the three finger salute. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    jamie

Beer28 wrote:
    I'm just a cheap SOB that believes in individual freedom, and hackerism. If there were open source values, I doubt I would have them. I don't really honestly give 2 cents about deep founded principles.

..but youve posted stallman manifestos on c9

youre saying he isnt political?

trechorous computing .. your avatar

thats not all about technology - but society and how consumer will get thier media etc?

my point was - i dont use linux or oss ( although it would be fun to when the UIs get up to par with apple and win) but i respect the principles they fight for

surely you must agree - you respect those princiles as well - as you quote / post them ?

• User profile image
    jamie

Sven Groot wrote:
    jamie wrote: ( i know alt f4 but was trying to keep it open and get out to copy the link url)

ESC would've quit full screen and kept it open. And you could've alt-tabbed to other windows. Or used the Windown-key to open the start menu. Don't be so quick to reach for the three finger salute.

i forgot esc
    like Doom
    haha

• User profile image
    jamie

i wrote:

in a perfect scenario it does - but as the pdf states - people are using technology to shield themselves from ads/marketing

this is why the only logical - corporately sustainable outcome will be content infiltration of the media itself.

just like in the early days of adverting
    "This show brought to you by.." with logos right on set - and the star doing the pitch

product and marketing placement ( perhaps lines the charaters non-chalontly say) will be where it all slithers off to next

so this would lead to end result of - sooner or later - commercials on tv worth less and less - and direct funding of MORE projects - although with embedded advertising more previlant

so is that good? better? or worse?

does this mean distributed / intertwined corporations into our lives?

..so the future is same ol' same ol'  cant wait

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Minh wrote:
    C'mon. "Marketing" isn't a dirty word. At least marketing a good product isn't. Think of it as bringing together a good product & someone who needs a good product.

Marketing isn't bringing a good product together with someone who needs it, IMO.

Marketing is bugging the crap out of millions of people in the hopes that maybe 20 of them might not have heard about it. 

Mr. Scoble will say: "No, Scan, You are wrong, what you describe is sales", but I will disagree with him, too.

Sales occurs when someone actually decides that they need a product like yours.  Your job is to get them to pick your version of it.

Marketing is a shotgun.  Sales is a railgun.

Spam is marketing for jerks.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.