Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Question for the IE zealots

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

How do I get this to work?

#panel {
        position: absolute;
        top: 168px;
        left: 60px;

width: 16em;
        height: 9em;

filter: progid: DXImageTransform. Microsoft. AlphaImageLoader( src='whitetrans.png', sizingMethod='crop');
    }

(Spaces added to DXImageTransform string to preserve formatting)

Where "whitetrans.png" is a 1000x1000px PNG image with alpha transparency.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Nevermind.

When I try something similar it stops the form controls from being selectable.

When will we get PNG fixed in IE? Its getting really frustrating now.

• User profile image
    John LeBlanc

What about it is not working?

John

• User profile image
    W3bbo

John LeBlanc wrote:
    What about it is not working?

John

For some reason, it doesn't work when placed in a CSS file, but works (almost) fine when placed inside the HTML document itself.

Anyway, when its used, it gets placed on top of my <input /> elements rendering them unusable.

• User profile image
    John LeBlanc

Hmmm, that's odd. I just created a quick .HTM page, .CSS file using that style and I didn't have a problem getting the .PNG to show. (I'm using IE 6.0 BTW.)

As for the input control being blocked, I put the .PNG image inside a DIV, set position:absolute, and put the input tag outside the div. Even setting the input's style to position: absolute, I could lay the input over the image without a problem.

I'm just guessing here, but I'll bet the rendering engine applies the filter, lays the controls, and then rewrites the image before spitting out the stream. If the control is inside the image's container (the div in my case) the input gets written over in the z-order.

John

• User profile image
    jetsetwilly

Perhaps the image specified by the style is not being displayed when the style is moved into a CSS file is because of a relative-path difference (i.e. if the stylesheet is in a different folder to the page)?

• User profile image
    bsilby

W3bbo wrote:
    Nevermind.

When I try something similar it stops the form controls from being selectable.

When will we get PNG fixed in IE? Its getting really frustrating now.

Your not using IE on an Apple, are you? Tee hee Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

jetsetwilly wrote:
    Perhaps the image specified by the style is not being displayed when the style is moved into a CSS file is because of a relative-path difference (i.e. if the stylesheet is in a different folder to the page)?

Nope

I changed the paths accordingly. So that wasn't the problem.

No big deal... I decided just to use one big honkin' JPEG... so much simpler that way (even if it increases the total page size by about 10KB)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.