Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Top down or Bottom up?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    manickernel

One of the things I am grateful to C9 for is that it introduced me to the many blogs by individual MS employees. I really did not realize they were around until some of the threads and links in the Wiki took me there. I tend to gravitate towards those with hard information like Ellen Brown's, but once on one you go to others and anyhow... Now today I was following the little spat between FC and Scoble and some of the comments about blogging in general and Microsoft's somewhat unique and open attitude towards it, especially for such a large company. and wondered if it might be changing the management model just a teensy weensy bit.  Though I don't claim to know much about internal management style at MS, I imagine like most large companies it is pretty much top down. Managers only have to answer (despite feel-good initiatives) to their superiors, but maybe the blogs are changing this. Maybe it is becoming more bottom-up. Hmmm.

• User profile image
    jamie

hey
    manic

this
    is
    the
    opposite
    to
    what
    you
    posted

that
    i
    agreed
    fully
    with

its
    called
    ENTER

Wink

Vestibulum porta, purus non fermentum malesuada, risus magna vulputate lectus, quis placerat tortor dolor eu tellus. Donec molestie, felis non venenatis vulputate, metus pede condimentum sem, nec vestibulum massa nunc vitae nibh. Phasellus porttitor justo in nunc. Vivamus ut urna. Cras quam diam, suscipit quis, euismod vitae, commodo malesuada, mauris. Curabitur ac sapien. Nunc eros. Duis accumsan, ligula sit amet mollis sollicitudin, justo odio mollis pede, at molestie urna est non diam. Aliquam vitae ante. Donec et lorem. Donec vulputate placerat nisl. Aenean augue. Cras convallis. Vestibulum fringilla elit at lectus. Nunc ut turpis in urna feugiat lacinia. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos hymenaeos. Morbi in lorem non est cursus porttitor. Vestibulum porta, purus non fermentum malesuada, risus magna vulputate lectus, quis placerat tortor dolor eu tellus. Donec molestie, felis non venenatis vulputate, metus pede condimentum sem, nec vestibulum massa nunc vitae nibh. Phasellus porttitor justo in nunc. Vivamus ut urna. Cras quam diam, suscipit quis, euismod vitae, commodo malesuada, mauris. Curabitur ac sapien. Nunc eros. Duis accumsan, ligula sit amet mollis sollicitudin, justo odio mollis pede, at molestie urna est non diam. Aliquam vitae ante. Donec et lorem. Donec vulputate placerat nisl. Aenean augue. Cras convallis. Vestibulum fringilla elit at lectus. Nunc ut turpis in urna feugiat lacinia. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos hymenaeos. Morbi in lorem non est cursus porttitor. Vestibulum porta, purus non fermentum malesuada, risus magna vulputate lectus, quis placerat tortor dolor eu tellus. Donec molestie, felis non venenatis vulputate, metus pede condimentum sem, nec vestibulum massa nunc vitae nibh. Phasellus porttitor justo in nunc. Vivamus ut urna. Cras quam diam, suscipit quis, euismod vitae, commodo malesuada, mauris. Curabitur ac sapien. Nunc eros. Duis accumsan, ligula sit amet mollis sollicitudin, justo odio mollis pede, at molestie urna est non diam. Aliquam vitae ante. Donec et lorem. Donec vulputate placerat nisl. Aenean augue. Cras convallis. Vestibulum fringilla elit at lectus. Nunc ut turpis in urna feugiat lacinia. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos hymenaeos. Morbi in lorem non est cursus porttitor.

• User profile image
    jamie

beer - how much would they have to pay you?

seriously

to say anything they want - you get whatever

?

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

I guess I missed the time period when Joel was important.  Now, all I see is some ex-Microsoftie taking potshots at his old company.  In all reality, it may just be a good way for both FC and MSFT to drum up business...controversy breeds interest, ya know.

Either way, Joel has always come off like a digerati primadonna and he's yet to convince me that he has anything useful to offer.  He's just playing the "make a lot of noise so I can stay in the spotlight for my whole 15 minutes" game.

Joel, if you are reading this, please remember that you don't run MSFT, you run some 3rd rate software company that nobody's heard of save for your rants. 

1998 called and it wants its overblown hype back.

• User profile image
    jamie

ScanIAm wrote:

1998 called and it wants its overblown hype back.

ok im sorry - ive posted a few LOL / haha posts already today

so

hahaha lol

• User profile image
    manickernel

Totally missed the point Beer. The exchange between Scoble and Joel is an illustration of the influence that bloggin is having. Of course, if you just want to jump on the anti-Microsoft bandwagon you could just go to /.  Oh, but then you would just be one little fish among several thousand, here you get to feel important and different.

Smiley

EDIT: Oh, Jamie. When I saw your post I thought I was being hit by the old page spread bug, even though everything looked ok on Fedora editing with FireFox. So I rebooted into XP just to check. Wazzup?

EDIT2: Beer you could have gotten the two post below into one box, but then I guess you like seeing your name a lot.

Edit3: Oh and your claim that MS had to go through multiple choices for a Linux expert is sooooo typical slashdot. Just make wild claims without any idea of the facts to prove your prejudice.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Beer28 wrote:
    I enjoy reading /.

Really? Smiley

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Beer28 wrote:
    jamie wrote: beer - how much would they have to pay you?

It's irrelevant. I bet Robbins was like the 30th linux expert they had to call before somebody actually said yes....

And BTW, I'm not classifying myself as any type of expert, I'm probably just an intermediate level coder. I'm just saying, I bet they had a busy week of pleading with people and voiding checks.

Good question, Jamie. 

Beer, if MSFT offered you $1Mill to come work for them, would you turn them down?

• User profile image
    manickernel

Beer,

Look at the ghost of Christmas Future

(I mean, I feel this guy's pain)

• User profile image
    jamie

oh come on.. a million dollars?

you must want to be here for some reason

youd be saying yes to a million to not "denounce" oss - but to help ms understand it ...say...

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Beer28 wrote:
    ScanIAm wrote:
    Good question, Jamie. 

Beer, if MSFT offered you $1Mill to come work for them, would you turn them down?

I would probably would have to. I'm really not microsoft material, with an exclamation point. I may have wanted to work for a company like MS when they were in those small offices in New Mexico, but not now. Hey fog creek has a pinball machine, I'm going to apply!!! (jk)

http://www.fogcreek.com/About.html

haha,

At any rate, I think my next indy release is going to do a-ok, so I'm not worried about it.

OK, so we now know your integrity can be bought, now we're just negotiating price, right?

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

• User profile image
    manickernel

OK, from the about FC page:

That means management, not coding, is the support function. Management is not here to make decisions, but to get all the furniture out of the way so that software developers can do great stuff.

..and that is what I think blogging is contributing to for Microsoft, although it may only be in bits and pieces.

• User profile image
    jamie

i just dont see any HUMAN turing down a million to do anything

not in a post - or a hypothetical thing

a real brief case - one million - beer come to seattle - or anyone here - me you anyone

you going to say no to a million?

cant grasp that

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Beer28 wrote:
    ScanIAm wrote:
    OK, so we now know your integrity can be bought, now we're just negotiating price, right?

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

How's that? I wrote I wouldn't work there for a million dollars. I wouldn't work there for a billion dollars. I'd rather earn a living doing what I like.

My bad.  I misunderstood your response.  I guess you truly are what you appear to be.  Of course, I'd be willing to bet you'd take the offer. 

Nothing personal, but for 1Mill, I'd buy new friends who didn't think i'd sold out...

For $1Billion, I'd buy their families Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

hey im left wing liberal - but if the right wants to pay me a million haha

ill take it and use it against them Tongue Out

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

For a million, I'd dance on FDR's grave Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

its fun pretending to be a millionaire - oh well back to reality - good to see we all still have our scruples Smiley

• User profile image
    manickernel

Hey guys.... nevermind.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.