Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why would my Dad want to upgrade to Longhorn?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jkwuc89

I know that the current Longhorn builds are pre-beta and that there is a lot of work left to do.  However, from what I've seen, the basic windowing UI is going to be changing rather significantly.  For someone who uses his computer for the following, what benefit will the new Longhorn windowing UI give him?

* Office to write letters
    * Outlook to send and receive e-mail
    * Web browsing
    * Very basic digital photography

I just don't see how this graphically intensive Avalon system is going to benefit my Dad, especially when I tell him that he'll probably need to buy a new computer to really take advantage of it.

Also, I am concerned that the placement of the window controls (especially on IE) are going to confuse a frustrate users like my Dad who are finally used to and comfortable with how things look and work on Windows XP.

• User profile image
    ghos

I'm surprised my Dad learned how to use a computer, without too much of my help, although there is a lot he doesn't know, he can do the basics.  Yet he uses Win98.  I don't think he'd want to change to longhorn, or even XP.  He is comfortable in his environment.  I'm sure he doesn't want to yet again learn new stuff. 
    Though if he got a new computer with it pre-installed I guess he'd have to learn.  Maybe I'd have to show him the way.
    Overall though if someone just uses the computer for basic tasks, hopefully the learning curve for Longhorn will not be that big for them to overcome.

• User profile image
    Catatonic

Most people I know would never upgrade their operating system. They only get a new one when they buy a new PC.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Keep in mind we haven't even started showing off what Longhorn will mean for regular people.

There are entire groups working on making digital photography dramatically easier and more fun to do.

Next year we'll talk a lot more about your dad.

• User profile image
    Charles

Also, there's the question of what your dad won't have to do when running Longhorn.

There is a ton of work going on in the core of the OS that will make users' lives easier than they are today, not too mention the work that is going on around deep security, reliability and stability.

As for shell types of things, like scobelizer says, stay tuned.

Charles

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Charles wrote:
    Also, there's the question of what your dad won't have to do when running Longhorn.

There is a ton of work going on in the core of the OS that will make users' lives easier than they are today, not too mention the work that is going on around deep security, reliability and stability.

As for shell types of things, like scobelizer says, stay tuned.

Charles

From what I understand, he won't have to reboot after running Windows update.

• User profile image
    eagle

He's going to need Longhorn to run that 50 inch Flat Pannel Screen you're going to buy him for Christmas 2006.

The possibilites of personal computing are endless, your old man might be teaching you a thing or two by 2006!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.