Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft Avalanche

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Arran
  • User profile image
    sbc

I wonder if it would become widely adopted? Perhaps not, due to those that are anti-Microsoft and the license would probably mean it won't be usable in GPL'd software.

I've had that issue being described - downloaded all but one piece, and that last piece has taken 5 minutes due to the peer uploading at < 500b/s. Even stopping and starting Azureus/Windows did not solve that. If only there was a way to stop downloading that piece, and try to download from another peer.

• User profile image
    Arran

I have had situations where there are no seeds but the sum of the parts only = 99%.  Therefore you cant get that last 1% without someone reseeding the source.

• User profile image
    steph-a

hello wat is the website cas i hav nt got a clue a/s/l? plz email back love steph xxxx

• User profile image
    W3bbo

What is the world coming to?!?!

First Microsoft uses PowerPC in XBox 360
    Then Apple goes with Intel
    And now Microsoft is adopting BitTorrent!?

Wait, this just in! Hell has been frozen over and flying pigs have been sighted over Paris!

• User profile image
    Arran

steph-a wrote:
    hello wat is the website cas i hav nt got a clue a/s/l? plz email back love steph xxxx

Isn't it always good to have your confidence renewed that the internet is still full of freaks?

• User profile image
    Badgerguy

sbc wrote:
    I wonder if it would become widely adopted? Perhaps not, due to those that are anti-Microsoft and the license would probably mean it won't be usable in GPL'd software.

I don't see how it not being 'recyclable' in GPL software is relevant.

What is relevant, is that a large corporation like Microsoft creating P2P technology would be much more open to influence from the recording industry, to build technologies into the system that would make it easy for them to track down those distributing large amounts if illegal files.

Of course, I'm not going to condone illegal downloading on a public forum(!), but these networks send a strong message to big corporations that people don't want to pay artificially high prices.

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

steph-a wrote:

*Has heartattack*

'Nuff said.
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    Arran

Badgerguy wrote:

Of course, I'm not going to condone illegal downloading on a public forum(!), but these networks send a strong message to big corporations that people don't want to pay artificially high prices.

The people have spoken!!  Smiley

But yeah.  Although there is still a large amount of people downloading content from illegal sites i get the feeling that more and more people are turning to services such as itunes.  The prices are a lot lower than the high street and people get higher quality.

The P2P movement in music and film...although illegal has now made a very positive impact for consumers.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Arran wrote:
    The P2P movement in music and film...although illegal has now made a very positive impact for consumers.

Exactly.

Consider the "4-Year effect" (not officially called that, but I forgot what the "real" name it) where script-kiddies warez software in its infancy, see how cool it is, then buy it later on, many of those end up being professional graphic designers who pay for their software. Had they never had the opportunity to use the software in the first place, companies like Adobe would have smaller profits.

After all, they wouldn't buy Photoshop or 3DS in the first place due to its prohibitive price-tag. For instance Photoshop CS2 is now cheaper (£400) than Photoshop 6.0 was (£700), which is probably to cash in on the "rich script-kiddie market". And with a student license it's even cheaper.

Of course, you can't really say the same thing about the movie/TV business, since they're not really tools.

...but I do question the MPAA's stance that downloading ripped already-aired TV shows as being "immoral". I still haven't heard a good explanation. 'till then, since I'm a TV License payer, I feel as though I'm within my rights to download previously-aired in-house BBC TV programs.

...does anyone else (except Stuart, of course Wink ) have a problem with this?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I hope Microsoft will start using this for distributing beta software. Because the File Transfer Manager downloads from betaplace or windowsbeta are so damned slow most of the time!

• User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

oops, didn't know about this thread when posting this..

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

A Microsoft avalanche, you say?

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

steph-a wrote:

I assumed this was some sort of joke about BitTorrenting idiots. Now I'm just confused. And this is what it should have looked like, form previous experience...

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

NeoTOM wrote:
    A Microsoft avalanche, you say?

I see your SkiFree, and raise you a Ski Or Die.

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

Sven Groot wrote:
    NeoTOM wrote: A Microsoft avalanche, you say?

I see your Alabama Flag and raise you a picture of Geordi LaForge.

• User profile image
    pikatung

NeoTOM wrote:
    Sven Groot wrote:
    NeoTOM wrote: A Microsoft avalanche, you say?

I see your Alabama Flag and raise you a picture of Geordi LaForge.

It seems to have hotlink protection.

http://amiga.emucamp.com/skiordie_2.gif

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Best topic ever!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.