Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

MS Research might speed up P2P

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

    http://www.research.microsoft.com/~pablo/papers/nc_contentdist.pdf


    Very interesting concept.....

    Anyone knows, when and if this will be available to the public?

  • User profile image
    Manip

    My guess, never. Microsoft research never have to release an actual product and this kind of stuff is way too controversial. Further more as Microsoft does a back handed handshake with the Movie/Music industries (and forward shake in the case of MSN Music) they are unlikely to support any future technology that could be used to distribute content illegally.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Manip wrote:
    they are unlikely to support any future technology that could be used to distribute content illegally.


    What about MSN Messenger's "file transfer" feature?

    I'm sure everyone here has received copyrighted material by that medium at least once.

  • User profile image
    PeterF

    What about the highly contraversial SMTP technology Wink

  • User profile image
    sbc

    PeterF wrote:
    What about the highly contraversial SMTP technology

    What about TCP/IP? Wink No BitTorrent or binary newsgroups without that, or WWW, Spyware etc. You can thank Tim Berners-Lee for inventing the Internet which is used for giving people a way of communicating internationally.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    sbc wrote:
    What about TCP/IP? No BitTorrent or binary newsgroups without that, or WWW, Spyware etc. You can thank Tim Berners-Lee for inventing the Internet which is used for giving people a way of communicating internationally.


    Tim Lee invented the WWW, HTML, and the first Web Browser. It was the military boffins at APRANET 10 years before who invented the Internet.

    Remember, The Internet != WWW

    ...mofo Wink

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    W3bbo wrote:
    APRANET

    ARPANET

  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

    Sven Groot wrote:
    W3bbo wrote: APRANET

    ARPANET


    IN-TAR-WEB

  • User profile image
    Tom Servo

    SERIOUS BUSINESS!

  • User profile image
    footballism

    W3bbo wrote:


    What about MSN Messenger's "file transfer" feature?

    I'm sure everyone here has received copyrighted material by that medium at least once.

    File transfer in MSN Messenger sucks quite often:)

  • User profile image
    NeoTOM

    W3bbo wrote:
    Manip wrote: they are unlikely to support any future technology that could be used to distribute content illegally.


    What about MSN Messenger's "file transfer" feature?

    I'm sure everyone here has received copyrighted material by that medium at least once.


    I support small-scale piracy. Go for it, it's not hurting anyone with one transfer. It's when you get into the "twenty million" range on Kazaa that I get pissed off. And some people can't tell the difference.

    "Peer-to-peer" is a bit of a misnomer.

  • User profile image
    NeoTOM

    Sven Groot wrote:
    W3bbo wrote: APRANET

    ARPANET


    OPRAHNET

  • User profile image
    kevinsch

    well, to answer the original question... it's still a research project so we can't say for sure if or when it will become part of a product, but we are actively talking with a variety of product groups about possible uses, and there's a fair amount of interest.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.