Coffeehouse Thread

124 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Is Linux For Losers?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    BenZila
  • User profile image
    NeoTOM

Yes.

• User profile image
    sbc

'Good' code is often a matter of opinion. If code is a mess, with no consistency or real thought put into it (naming conventions, efficient use of memory) but works is it bad code? 'Good' code that does the same thing may take much longer to write, and for many companies that is unnacceptable. They would rather have software with a few minor bugs written in a few months, than near-perfect software that has taken years.

As for corporate support, you need it if you want to get wide adaptation. It is not much use if it won't run on your hardware, or there is noone to support you if something goes wrong. If you choose hardware that has been tried and tested thoroughly on BSD, then BSD may be the best choice. If you want a wider choice of hardware and software you choose Linux (or Windows if you want even more choice).

Saying something is terrible is just a poor reaction. If something was poor, no one would use it. Linux and Windows may not be as secure or efficient as BSD but they get the job done and are 'good enough' for what people want.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

sbc wrote:
    'Good' code is often a matter of opinion. If code is a mess, with no consistency or real thought put into it (naming conventions, efficient use of memory) but works is it bad code? 'Good' code that does the same thing may take much longer to write, and for many companies that is unnacceptable.
    If however the product needs to be maintained, the initial shorter delivery for 'bad' code will come back and bite them in the (I need to watch my language) later. A little extra work up front can save you months of development time a few years down the line.

• User profile image
    Shaded

It takes a bigger loser than me to understand it, thats for sure.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Sven Groot wrote:
    sbc wrote: 'Good' code is often a matter of opinion. If code is a mess, with no consistency or real thought put into it (naming conventions, efficient use of memory) but works is it bad code? 'Good' code that does the same thing may take much longer to write, and for many companies that is unnacceptable.
    If however the product needs to be maintained, the initial shorter delivery for 'bad' code will come back and bite them in the (I need to watch my language) later. A little extra work up front can save you months of development time a few years down the line.

Right on!
    The lesson kids, is that you should:
    Wash behind your ears,
    Comment your code,
    Stay in drugs,
    Don't do school,
    Use extensible, reusable, maintainable, and flexible designs and architectures (DESIGN PATTERNS!)

• User profile image
    Charles

"Is Linux for Losers?"

I'm not sure I understand the question as it relates to the points made in the article you link to, which I assume led you to construct the above question.

Clearly, the author has an axe to grind, most likely related to some set of negative experiences with the Linux High Council (Torvalds and friends).

My reaction to the author's proclamations is simple: where's the argument's substantive framework? What happened that made you bitter?

As to the question of "Is Linux for Losers?":

A resounding, no, of course not. What are you really asking?

C

• User profile image
    billh

Controversy + finger-pointing rhetoric = increased awareness of BSD

Unwanted side effect: People look into BSD, arrive at their own conclusions, and circle back to the thought "So, tell me, what differentiates this guy from other OS fanatics?" In the end, if he does not back his rhetoric with careful, well-crafted technical arguments, the lasting impression is negativity.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Charles wrote:
    "Is Linux for Losers?"

I'm not sure I understand the question as it relates to the points made in the article you link to, which I assume led you to construct the above question.

Clearly, the author has an axe to grind, most likely related to some set of negative experiences with the Linux High Council (Torvalds and friends).

My reaction to the author's proclamations is simple: where's the argument's substantive framework? What happened that made you bitter?

As to the question of "Is Linux for Losers?":

A resounding, no, of course not. What are you really asking?

C

How is it open source when the code is tightly controlled by the top level of uber-coders?  It is more like "elitist source" than anything.
    Sure, you can get the source, modify it, and so on... but your contributions mean squat if the overlords have some kind of grudge against you...
    The argument that you can modify the source and so on doesn't work... what do you do when the main source is changed in ways that breaks or conflicts with your mods, especially considering that your modifications might not have been accepted?  All your work goes down the tubes...and you get to do it again.

• User profile image
    Charles

Now we have something substantive to work with. Yes, the notion of overlords overseeing openness is certainly confusing. What would pure openness look like, anyway?

C

• User profile image
    nightski

Uh,
    Beer - while I personally prefer Linux over OpenBSD, I have to mention that OpenBSD does have linux binary compatability that works in most cases.  At least this is what I have been told.  In other words, you shouldn't need to recompile.

Now, there are Ports and Packages in the OpenBSD environment for the purpose of running pure BSD code, but this isn't even truly necessary.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I think you are a little mislead.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Theo's just being Theo. Nothing to see here.

• User profile image
    nightski

Beer,
    Actually you might want to actually look at this first -

http://openbsd.org/faq/faq9.html#Interact

And then check out this -

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=compat_linux&sektion=8

There is even a redhat/base package that can be installed.

Anyways, take care.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Beer28 wrote:

He just sounds like somebody that's extremely bitter that his open system has been totally overshadowed by linux which is more popular, has more software, and that people like better.

Oh well.....

Application software is where it's at. Linux has the lion's share of server and desktop applications and has most of the non-windows device drivers.

Wha, wha, Wha?!?!?!

sounds an awful lot like our (my) responses to your linux FUD.

• User profile image
    manickernel

Hey cool, my boss just handed me a Kyocera EVDO card with account and said to test it out, which around here means I get to keep it:)

• User profile image
    nightski

Beer,
    I can't please you Smiley  The fact is that you can run Linux programs on OpenBSD. Is it a complete Linux replacement that can run everything and be configured with a snap of the fingers?  LOL

But honestly, back to the point, I wasn't trying to argue that you should switch to OpenBSD, or that doing so would be easy.

I was just pointing out that it is possible to run any of the applications you mentioned without a direct recompile.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Charles wrote:
    Now we have something substantive to work with. Yes, the notion of overlords overseeing openness is certainly confusing. What would pure openness look like, anyway?

C

Wikipedia.  Have you looked at it?  Revert wars, very poorly written articles, etc..  It is perhaps one of the best refutations of the "thousands of eyes" arguments.  Just because you have many people working on it, doesn't mean those eyes are anywhere close to being competent.

• User profile image
    Erisan

Because OpenBSD is so much better that Linux, that means Linux will die... Open Source wins always(?)

Windows has very good rivals now.

What do you think? Are you Windows "zealots" ("Windows
    forever") or do you give opportunity to other OS's too?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.