Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

"I don't trust the way it moves"

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    eddwo

Just watched the first episode of the US version of The Office. They recreated it pretty much exactly, including the infamous Stapler in Jelly incident.

UK

USA

You can watch the original UK version here.
    http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2472195

And someones attempt to recreate it here
    http://homepage.mac.com/elliottday/theoffice/stapler.html

Actually I think the UK version is funnier.

What other office pranks can people relate?

(If its the one about Steve Ballmer and the office full of rubber balls we've heard it before)
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=27781

• User profile image
    Erisan

UK version is the best TV series what I have seen so far. It's just blazing!

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

From what I heard, the US version is an almost 1:1 remake of the UK one. If that's accurate, what's the point of the remake?

• User profile image
    eddwo

I could never understand why Americans talked about eating Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches.
    To me Jelly was something to have as a special treat, at birthday parties and such. The idea that someone would bother to mix it up, spend hours waiting for it to set, and then only use it in a sandwich seemed very strange to me, and a bit of a waste.

It was years before I found out that Jelly => Jello, and Jam => Jelly. 

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Hmmm...OK, to anyone who watched the (UK) TV version of the Office, did you eventually see the Xmas version?

I usually hate shows that wrap stuff up that neatly, but it was done well.

2nd only to Ricky Gervais playing the Guitar in ep3 (or 4 or 2...)

• User profile image
    figuerres

eddwo wrote:
    I could never understand why Americans talked about eating Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches.
    To me Jelly was something to have as a special treat, at birthday parties and such. The idea that someone would bother to mix it up, spend hours waiting for it to set, and then only use it in a sandwich seemed very strange to me, and a bit of a waste.

It was years before I found out that Jelly => Jello, and Jam => Jelly. 

reminds me of when the user "footballsim" was asking us to post with correct language and not slang...

and how some folks say that "English" and "American" are really 2 different languages Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

figuerres wrote:
    and how some folks say that "English" and "American" are really 2 different languages

They're actually different dialects, originally "American" was just English with a few differences in vocabulary and spelling (like "color" - "colour")

...but now we're seeing an "American Grammar", like "whops, my bad" instead of "whops, my mistake" and "write me" rather than "write to me".

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.