Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Programming Hazards

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    koorb

For years now (I am 21) I have clicky wrists, stiff fingers (occasionally) and swore tendons(occasionally), has anybodyelse had this?

• User profile image
    Manip

No. But I consume fish oil supplements to keep my joints healthier, use a natural keyboard and have a well set chair.

• User profile image
    iStation

Work smart, get ease!
    Smiley

• User profile image
    rhm

I get most pain from using the mouse.

Spider Solitaire is a far greater threat to my health than programming.

• User profile image
    Steve411

koorb wrote:
    For years now (I am 21) I have clicky wrists, stiff fingers (occasionally) and swore tendons(occasionally), has anybodyelse had this?

I do. Smiley

• User profile image
    iStation

rhm wrote:
    I get most pain from using the mouse.

Spider Solitaire is a far greater threat to my health than programming.

How about this one, if your eyes are ok?

http://www.eyetechds.com/

Smiley

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

koorb wrote:

When was the last time you lifted some weights?  Or took an hour walk.  Or rode a bike through the woods?

People aren't meant to sit in front of a computer for hours on end without some kind of relief.

Plus, mountain bike for an hour and you'll think you got high.

• User profile image
    blowdart

koorb wrote:

21? Baby Smiley I had arthritis in my wrists apparently, however changing the way I type and getting a gel wrist rest solved it all. Lift your wrists up.

My main hazard is chain smoking when users change their darned minds.

• User profile image
    iStation
  • User profile image
    Angus

I am only 14 and starting to get this type of thing. This isn't a good sign, time to buy a better keyboard and mouse I suppose.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    iStation

I wonder whether MS Hardware Labs have some healthy ergonomic input devices such as foot-mouse, foot-keyboard or eye-keyboard?
    Wink

• User profile image
    koorb

Ok I have ordered a splitkeyboard, starting to take codliveroil and I might try a coupple of other thing, will let you guys know how it goes if I see any significant change.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

LIke ScanIAm says, just hit the gym 3-5 times a week, even for an hour. Just sit there and ride the bike even, some places have a TV. I like to go around 9PM, then there is few people there and I can turn the TV to West Wing Smiley

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

One other thing, do you touch type?  I'm probably showing my age, but when I started working with computers, we weren't allowed to touch the keyboard until we'd passed 2 quarters of typing.  I thought it was stupid at first, but it really does pay off.  It isn't so much about the ability to type without looking at the keyboard, it's the hand and finger positioning. 

I just wish I had Mavis Beacon when I was starting Smiley

• User profile image
    Steve411

ScanIAm wrote:
    One other thing, do you touch type?  I'm probably showing my age, but when I started working with computers, we weren't allowed to touch the keyboard until we'd passed 2 quarters of typing.  I thought it was stupid at first, but it really does pay off.  It isn't so much about the ability to type without looking at the keyboard, it's the hand and finger positioning. 

I just wish I had Mavis Beacon when I was starting

I don't touch type, stopped in 6th grade, when I first used a computer! Wink Funny thing, in response to someone elses comment, I go to the gym and must say got some muscle here and it doesn't help. I even have the gel wrist-rest on the mouse pad but it still does not help. It gets a lot worse if i use it, actually. Smiley You get pain on the tip of your fingers ever? Even your fingers in general? I do sometimes. Oh, and manip, fish is good, ain't it? Tongue Out

I'll whoop anyones butt in basketball;
     - Steve

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I can tell from personal experience that Aikido is a good way to loosen the joints and it helps against RSI.

Too bad that doesn't work if you haven't been able to go Aikido because a friggin' tractor ran over your toe 5 months ago. Sad

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.