Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Can anyone recommend a network monitor?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Minh

I have a Windows 2000 server and sometimes my network comes to a crawl. I'd like a utility that show network activity so I can rule that out as the cause. Thanks in advance.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Ethereal

...its the answer to almost anything thesedays.

• User profile image
    Cairo
  • User profile image
    manickernel

Windows server has netmon, which works quite well and puts the card in promo mode.

And to get it working on XP.

• Install the Support Tools from the Windows XP CD-ROM (KB Article Q306794)
  • Run NetCap at least one time, so it can install the Listener driver (KB Article Q310875)
  • Copy the NetMon directory from your Win2000 Server: \WinNT\System32\NetMon
  • Put this directory it on your WinXP Pro machine, off your \Windows\System32 directory
  • Copy the NMSUPP.DLL file from your Win2000 Server, found in the System32 directory
  • Put this DLL into the \NetMon directory - it does not have to be in the System32 directory (and it's a good idea to isolate it)
  • Create a shortcut for NetMon.exe and run it - it should work
  • At this point, I removed the Support Tools that I installed in the first step; the NetCap driver sticks around because it's protected

NOTE: The above are just musings and are not meant to encourgae anyone to violate any issue in the XP Eula, either express or implied.

• User profile image
    koorb

I have tried loads and just before I started to make my own I found Netmetre.
    Been using it for years. If you have multiple network cards you can select the one or all you want to monitor and it runs from a taskbar popup, so you can use it for testing.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

I'll give a second thumbs up to ethereal.

Just don't make the mistake of thinking that you can monitor traffic that comes from your machine to your machine.  If it doesn't go out/come in the network card, you aren't going to see it.

• User profile image
    manickernel

Ethereal is good, real men use tcpdump.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Ha!  Real men wrap a solenoid around the ethernet cable and hook it up to a Scope 8)

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ScanIAm wrote:

Ha!  Real men wrap a solenoid around the ethernet cable and hook it up to a Scope 8)

Real men attach each Cat6 cable to each finger on their hands and detect the impulses in their nerves!

• User profile image
    figuerres

W3bbo wrote:
    ScanIAm wrote:

Real men attach each Cat6 cable to each finger on their hands and detect the impulses in their nerves!

Nahhh......

Jack in to the matrix....

Just stay away from the Agents!

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

W3bbo wrote:
    ScanIAm wrote:

Real men get a network card embedded in their neck

• User profile image
    blowdart

W3bbo wrote:
    Ethereal

...its the answer to almost anything thesedays.

I haven't been able to get ethereal sniffing on my wireless NIC for ages. Slight bummer that.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Ethereal (or rather, winpcap) is not tested to work with wlan connections. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on x64 at all.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

I like ethereal for plain capture, but if you have some cash to splash Iris from eeye is very good.

http://www.eeye.com/html/products/iris/index.html

Stephen. 

• Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.