Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Follow your heart

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    eagle

“Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary“.

Commencement address at Stanford University by Steve Jobs, on June 12, 2005

Life is for learning, go out and discover something new everyday...

• User profile image
    John Galt

Sounds very very similar to a quote by Ayn Rand:

In the name of the best within you, do not sacrifice this world to those who are its worst... Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle. The world you desired can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible, it's yours."

Both excellent words to live by.  While Steve Jobs makes some seriously weird decisions (I would be in talks with Dell right now if I was him and wanted the best for Apple) he has it together in a lot of other ways. Makes you wonder if he's a student of Rand or not.

• User profile image
    Steve411

Beer28 wrote:
    John Galt wrote:While Steve Jobs makes some seriously weird decisions

I vote him as the person I'd least wanna be trapped in an elevator with.

I vote him as the person I'd most* wanna be trapped in an elevator with. It would probably be better than the elevator music they have haha

• User profile image
    Steve411

Dude, if Steve Jobs started talking about software and computers I'd beat the crap out of him by ripping something out of the freaking elevator. Or, I'd do it by writing out some code on a notebook to see if he could beat that like he claims he can. Smiley
    GROW SOME HAIR.
     - Steve

• User profile image
    Steve411

Beer28 wrote:
    Steve is probably the most pretentious person I've ever read about or seen documentaries about or ever heard about in the computer industry.

He seems to think very highly of himself. Extremely highly. I don't know him personally, but if I were in the position, I would probably chose not to work with/for somebody like that.

Nothing wrong with thinking highly of your self. But if you take it too far you screw your self over.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Steve411 wrote:
    Beer28 wrote: Steve is probably the most pretentious person I've ever read about or seen documentaries about or ever heard about in the computer industry.

He seems to think very highly of himself. Extremely highly. I don't know him personally, but if I were in the position, I would probably chose not to work with/for somebody like that.

Nothing wrong with thinking highly of your self. But if you take it too far you screw your self over.

I heard he kills kittens on a regular basis...

Oh, and he thinks Dave w(h)iner is a god.

• User profile image
    IRenderable

So he actually acts in real life like he does in  "Pirates of Silicon Valley"?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

By just editing the quote a bit:

eagle wrote:
    “Your time is limited,... don't waste it.... Don't be trapped by dogma - ...living with ... other people's thinking. Don't...have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become....“.

...and it now sounds like something from that "Do you know if you're going to heaven?" thread Smiley

• User profile image
    eagle

You are just showing us how the insufferable cannot be inspired.

• User profile image
    figuerres

funny to read some of the comments ....

some of you seem to loath the idea of working with him....

just remember one thing:

would we have ever seen the Apple  and Macintosh if not for exactly his personality?

no he's not perfect, god knows he can get under the skin of folks etc...

but some times you need that kind of person to push you to do things you did not know you could do.

• User profile image
    eagle

I'd rather have Woz then Boz as a friend.

I've never been a Job's fan, but this was a great speech from the heart.

• User profile image
    amotif

Beer28 wrote:

If I was trapped in an elevator with Steve Jobs...

Strange thought of the day... I'd rather be trapped in an elevator with Steve Jobs than with Larry Ellison.

• User profile image
    Tensor

amotif wrote:
    Beer28 wrote:
    If I was trapped in an elevator with Steve Jobs...

Strange thought of the day... I'd rather be trapped in an elevator with Steve Jobs than with Larry Ellison.

I hear you. Its somthing about that beard. It makes me think of that episode of star trek where there was the parallel universe where everyone was evil, and the way you could tell was that they have a beard.

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

John Galt wrote:
    Sounds very very similar to a quote by Ayn Rand:

In the name of the best within you, do not sacrifice this world to those who are its worst... Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle. The world you desired can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible, it's yours."

Both excellent words to live by.  While Steve Jobs makes some seriously weird decisions (I would be in talks with Dell right now if I was him and wanted the best for Apple) he has it together in a lot of other ways. Makes you wonder if he's a student of Rand or not.

Who is John Galt??

(Couldn't resist..)

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

Beer28 wrote:
    IRenderable wrote: So he actually acts in real life like he does in  "Pirates of Silicon Valley"?

Don't go by a dramatization. That's just a fictional movie. Go by his interviews on A&E documentaries, and in triumph of the nerds, and his press interviews, and books. I'm reading iCon right now.

Beer,

You might have already read it, but I'd recommend "Fire In the Valley, Second Edition" as well. (Don't waste your time with the first edition). Nice background for anyone interested in the history of the personal computer *and* the people behind it.

BTW, that movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley" was based on Fire In The Valley. Haven't seen the movie, but the book is good, factual, and has references (much better IMHO than someone talking about themselves in an interview.. *anyone*).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.