Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

SSCLI Essentials Book

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    TomasDeml

Hi!

I'm about to buy this book.

I have a question for those who owns it.

I've noticed that the book is quite short (ok, it has 384 pages Smiley) but I'd like to ask if you can recommend it to me and why.

Thanks a lot.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Hi,
        I don't have the book, but I just looked at the amazon reviews.  One reader did not like that it missed out the compiler, but the rest seemed to love it.

Cheers
    Dr Herbie

• User profile image
    TomasDeml

Dr Herbie wrote:
    Hi,
        I don't have the book, but I just looked at the amazon reviews.  One reader did not like that it missed out the compiler, but the rest seemed to love it.

Yeah I've already read these reviews but I'd like to hear some opinions from C9s...Wink

• User profile image
    irascian

I'm embarrassed to say I bought it, but haven't read it yet. Too many higher priorities Sad

It IS slim, and rather pricey, but content looks very detailed and I think if the subject matter is what you're after you haven't got much choice.

Not exactly bedtime reading though and after a long day at the office I'm finding it easier to read a bunch of blogs or sit down with one of Spolsky's books than get started with this. 

• User profile image
    TomasDeml

irascian wrote:
    I'm embarrassed to say I bought it, but haven't read it yet. Too many higher priorities Sad

It IS slim, and rather pricey, but content looks very detailed and I think if the subject matter is what you're after you haven't got much choice.

Not exactly bedtime reading though and after a long day at the office I'm finding it easier to read a bunch of blogs or sit down with one of Spolsky's books than get started with this. 

Thanks for your opinion.

• User profile image
    Jason Haley

I have it and have actually read it from cover to cover.  I would recommend it for anyone who is trying to understand the Rotor code (especially the unmanaged C++ code in Rotor).  It is also a good book for just getting a better understanding of what .Net is under the covers (even though the implementation may differ a little).

In order to get the most out of the book you will want a computer and the rotor source code available while you read the book.

Why are you intersted in the book?  If you are looking for more detail on any of the following and really want to see some implementation code, I would say get it:
    - What makes up a Type
    - Type loading and what happens during JIT compilation
    - What happens when execution goes from managed to unmanaged code and vice versa
    - One implementation of a garbage collector (not the same as the CLR)

If you are not looking for actual implementation code, but just a better understanding of .Net at a real deep level, I would suggest reading Simon Robinsons Apress Book "Expert .Net 1.1 Programming" first (then think about whether you want to look at some source code).

• User profile image
    TomasDeml

Jason Haley wrote:

- What makes up a Type
    - Type loading and what happens during JIT compilation
    - What happens when execution goes from managed to unmanaged code and vice versa
    - One implementation of a garbage collector (not the same as the CLR)

This is exactly what I'm looking for...Smiley

• User profile image
    jcfiala

Dr Herbie wrote:
    Hi,

It seems that on Amazon, no matter how good the book, one person doesn't like it.  It's when two people don't like it that I start looking more carefully.  (I don't actually buy too much from Amazon tech-book-wise, but it's a great way to keep track of books I'm interested in and to check out reviews.)

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.