Coffeehouse Thread

38 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How big is/are your Hard Drive/Drives?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Angus

I am just interested to find out who has the biggest hard drive on C9.
    I will not win because mine is a meager 200Gb.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I got three, 1x120GB and 2x80GB. I've got a feeling I'm not gonna win either. Smiley

• User profile image
    PeterH

Mine is 80GB, now that is small!

It is plenty for me though, I sacrificed space for speed and reliability when I was building my PC. And I have to say, it really paid off. I've had it for 6 months and not once has it crashed, frozen or failed me in anyway. I have no regrets with the parts I chose.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Trust me: when you've got a 100mbps Internet connection, hard drives fill up fast. Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I go for 80GB maximum too....and that's with cooling too. IMO, buying anything larger than 120GB without some kind of cooling is suicide

Hmm, I need to set up some kind of RAID or backup on my workgroup server though, I'm always dreading the day my Exchange backup fails.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

2x120G in a raid0 configuration (mirroring, not speed) = 120 gig

1x120G external firewire drive for backup

Obviously, I'm very, very paranoid about data loss...

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo wrote:
    I go for 80GB maximum too....and that's with cooling too. IMO, buying anything larger than 120GB without some kind of cooling is suicide

What does size have to do with cooling? RPM I can understand, but size?

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Sven Groot wrote:
    W3bbo wrote: I go for 80GB maximum too....and that's with cooling too. IMO, buying anything larger than 120GB without some kind of cooling is suicide

Or to paraphrase:  It's not the size of the boat, but the motion in the ocean.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Lets see,

80Gb on laptop 1
    20Gb on wife's laptop
    20Gb on web server
    40Gb on SQL server
    60Gb on mail server
    60Gb on backup disk 1
    220Gb on backup disk 2

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

In my work desktop

1 x 160Gb System disc
    1 x 160Gb for development work.
    2 x 300GB In RAID-0 (i.e. stripe set) for VmWare images.

My Laptop has a 60Gb 7200rpm drive.

My home machine has a couple of 120's and 160 in it.

Stephen.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sven Groot wrote:

Okay, I'll admit its all based on second-hand information, but I've heard that larger hard-drives are more prone to data damage than smaller capacity drives. Although its probably to do with RPM. But hey... keeping a HDD cool isn't doing any harm, is it?

• User profile image
    daSmirnov

The server:

2x 250GB
    2x 80GB

Main machine:

2x 80GB
    1x 40GB

Tablet PC:

1x 60GB

Other machine:

2x 40GB
    1x 20GB

Laptop:

1x 30GB

Total 1050GB.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo wrote:
    Sven Groot wrote: What does size have to do with cooling? RPM I can understand, but size?

Okay, I'll admit its all based on second-hand information, but I've heard that larger hard-drives are more prone to data damage than smaller capacity drives. Although its probably to do with RPM. But hey... keeping a HDD cool isn't doing any harm, is it?

The fact that the ambient temperature in my room is over 40 degrees at the moment isn't helping anything, that's for sure.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Sven Groot wrote:
    The fact that the ambient temperature in my room is over 40 degrees at the moment isn't helping anything, that's for sure.

For those in the US: 40 degrees Celsius = 96 degrees Fahrenheit

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

1 x 80Gb
    1 x 40Gb.

I'm also on the lower end here. Smiley

Prices being what they are, I should really go out and get myself a 200Gb drive and copy everything over. My primary drive has been feeling sluggish lately, and I fear for my MP3s - currently taking up half of those 80Gb, and not backed up in any way.
    I have most of them on their original CDs, though.

• User profile image
    rhm

I did have:

1 x 40Gb system drive
    2 x 200Gb as a RAID mirror for working data
    1 x 160Gb to give online access to stuff that would otherwise be archived.

And an external 300Gb USB drive as a backup device.

But, one by one the drives failed. The system drive's failure got me to swap to XP (was running Win2k up to that point). Then the 160Gb drive failed (it was a warranty replacement that lasted almost exactly 1 year before dying itself). The RAID set was broken up to provide storage for the stuff I saved from the 160Gb drive. Then one of the 200Gb drives failed - the one with all the working data on it. That's the only drive failure that actually lost me data. Unfortunately it lost rather a lot of it hence my post about backup software last week.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

I've got a 73gb 10k RPM drive.  Sure, size is good, but faster is better!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.