Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How do you screenshot Windows Security screens?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

'lo

Since the Windows Security screens are run under the LOCAL SERVICE user's desktop and session, which has a different clipboard, how are you supposed to screenshot the Windows Security screens?

Cheers

• User profile image
    Manip

Virtual Machine or some application designed to take screenshots.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

start -> run "pbrush"
    draw it yourself darn it!

• User profile image
    Maurits

VNC, personally
    There are applications out there that will do timed screen grabs (like setting a timer on a camera so you can get in the picture yourself) - I don't know if these would work, though.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Beer28 wrote:
    One thing I didn't like about windows was not being able to do screenshots of directshow stuff. You'd play a video file to a client rect with directshow, and do a screenshot, and it would be all black.

On linux I can do screenshots of rectangles on the screen with video. I like that feature, because if you're making an application that has video in it like my PVR, and you need to show that to people, it becomes very bothersome to have windows black out the rect.

Then you have to take a still of the video and paste it back in, in photoshop or whatever, and it's just fake that way. Windows forces you to make fake screenshots of directshow applications.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with that anymore.

That's nothing to do with Windows whatsoever. Thats to do with your videocard's method of handling video overlay. It doesn't just apply to DirectShow, but to any form of hardware-accelerated video.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Beer28 wrote:
    One thing I didn't like about windows was not being able to do screenshots of directshow stuff. You'd play a video file to a client rect with directshow, and do a screenshot, and it would be all black.

Welcome to the world of video overlays. If you want to take screenshots on DShow applications, try to find the VMR option, if it is exposed by the application. The video mixing renderer will bring video to screen using Direct3D, allowing you to screenshot things.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

The video is software rendered, at least it isn't hardware rendered in the sense that DVDs are hardware rendered (where the MPEG2 decoding also happens in hardware).

They're just written directly to video memory, bypassing GDI.

EDIT: And at least in WMP I can select not to use overlays, and when doing that you can take screenshots.

• User profile image
    bwill

a camera.

• User profile image
    basictheory

bwill wrote:
    a camera.

ha, that made me laugh.
    I did that yesterday when my laptop had an issue with a device driver and crashed.

• User profile image
    blowdart

W3bbo wrote:
    'lo

Since the Windows Security screens are run under the LOCAL SERVICE user's desktop and session, which has a different clipboard, how are you supposed to screenshot the Windows Security screens?

Cheers

I'd vote for virtual PC and SnagIt. Snagit is good Smiley

If you need shots, drop me an email and let me know.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.