Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

First Solar Sail

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Tensor

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4110912.stm         

Not only are they launching a solar sail, just to make it even cooler, they are launching it from a submarine. I mean, how cool is that!

Either that or this is a sneaky way to launch a pre-emptive nuclear strike with no-one suspecting until its too late.

• User profile image
    billh

What if there is an eclipse?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

billh wrote:
    What if there is an eclipse?

A solar eclipse would only affect the sail if it were still orbiting earth. In which case... just make sure you're not standing underneath it.

• User profile image
    billh

W3bbo wrote:
    billh wrote: What if there is an eclipse?

A solar eclipse would only affect the sail if it were still orbiting earth. In which case... just make sure you're not standing underneath it.

I think that was the plan...to have it orbit Earth.  But, as of this morning, they really don't know where the sail is at...according to this article.

The article wrote:
    Scientists who believe they may have detected signals from the world's first solar sail spacecraft say it could be hours or days before they figure out exactly where the $4 million Cosmos 1 is traveling.

The signals were picked up shortly before 10 p.m. PDT Tuesday, hours after the spacecraft stopped communicating with mission controllers. Those communications had ceased soon after its launch from a Russian submarine under the Barrents Sea.

• User profile image
    billh

Today's forecast for Pyongyang:

Sunny and 2000 degrees.

• User profile image
    Tensor

Elaborate made up conspiracy theory time!

Really, this was a plot to Nuke North Korea. Anyone heard anything from North Korea since this happened? No, didnt think so. So the plot was to pretend they were launching a satalite from a sub. All very feasible - no one pay any attention, this isnt a nuclear warhead its satalite. But really, it WAS a missile and now the north koreans glow!

Hey, whats that black van doing in the car park?

• User profile image
    Angus

Sadly the Solar Sail failed. Credit to W3bbo for telling me.

Angus Higgins

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/06/22/1518204&tid=160&tid=14

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Not necessarily.

Reuters wrote:
    "We have no evidence that anything is wrong with the spacecraft at all," said Bruce Betts, the Planetary Society's director of projects, late on Tuesday.

But there were conflicting reports. Russia's Itar-Tass and Interfax news agencies quoted an unnamed Russian space agency source as saying that the craft had crashed near a remote island in the Barents Sea close to where it had been launched.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050622/sc_nm/space_cosmos_dc_15

• User profile image
    geekling

Ironically, if you jump around the links in this thread, you'll notice that the failure is always the Russian piece of equipment, be it the launch platform or the booster mechanism. Kind of funny!

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Hmmmm, I wonder who makes the OS that runs the flight mechanics?  Is it analog or software?

• User profile image
    iStation

Ain't that a shame.
    I could spend cooler summer in the shade.
    Wink

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.