Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Hybrid Hard Drives

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Tyler Brown

I just blogged about an article in the latest issue of Maximum PC. It seems that Microsoft and Samsung have just revealed a hybrid hard drive that they've been working on for Longhorn mobile devices. From what I've read, I would definately want one of those in the next tablet or laptop that I buy.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Tyler Brown wrote:
    I just blogged about an article in the latest issue of Maximum PC. It seems that Microsoft and Samsung have just revealed a hybrid hard drive that they've been working on for Longhorn mobile devices. From what I've read, I would definately want one of those in the next tablet or laptop that I buy.

more!  say 4 gigs!

if done in large runs the cost should drop off and a
    4 gig buffer could make boot time way fast...

imagine the windows hibernate file in there + some of the highly needed files....

get that saved state back to main ram super fast and then boot time drops to almost nothing.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Tyler Brown wrote:

It would be far easier instead to have a spanned volume on a load of Flash CF cards.... faster too Smiley

• User profile image
    Shaded

W3bbo wrote:
    Tyler Brown wrote: I just blogged about an article in the latest issue of Maximum PC. It seems that Microsoft and Samsung have just revealed a hybrid hard drive that they've been working on for Longhorn mobile devices. From what I've read, I would definately want one of those in the next tablet or laptop that I buy.

It would be far easier instead to have a spanned volume on a load of Flash CF cards.... faster too

This is old school DASD for mainframes.  Dynamic Allocation Storage Devices... a mixture of ram and hard drives.  Cept they never powered off.

I always liked their three dollar words for everyday stuff.  Like, you don't boot a mainframe... it costs too much, you IPL it.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Shaded wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:
    Tyler Brown wrote: I just blogged about an article in the latest issue of Maximum PC. It seems that Microsoft and Samsung have just revealed a hybrid hard drive that they've been working on for Longhorn mobile devices. From what I've read, I would definately want one of those in the next tablet or laptop that I buy.

It would be far easier instead to have a spanned volume on a load of Flash CF cards.... faster too

This is old school ASD">DASD for mainframes.  Dynamic Allocation Storage Devices... a mixture of ram and hard drives.  Cept they never powered off.

I always liked their three dollar words for everyday stuff.  Like, you don't boot a mainframe... it costs too much, you IPL it.

There is nothing new...

we just keep re-discoving things ...

• User profile image
    Manip

Tyler Brown wrote:

Could someone post the link as I refuse to visit lame link dropper's blogs/sites/files/etc.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

Manip, the story isn't available on the internet as far as I know. Maximum PC releases some content from their magazines when the next issue is released. I simply posted the jist of the story on my blog.

If you don't wish to click the link, here is the section of my blog post that pertains to this subject.

Tyler Brown wrote:
    In the mean time however, here is a little piece of news that I just read in the latest issue of Maximum PC which arrived today. Apparently Samsung and Microsoft have been working on a new type of hard drive for mobile devices. Basically, it’s a standard notebook hard drive with up to 1 Gigabyte of onboard, non-volatile, flash memory. The flash memory will act as a buffer, reducing the total time that the platters are spinning, which will in turn use less battery power and create less heat. Large files for the operating system could be cached in the flash memory, allowing for speedy boot times. The drives will not be released until late 2006 when Longhorn debut’s as the operating system has to be modified slightly in order to make use of the large flash buffer.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

I thought there was some magnetic RAM, MRAM on the way(years back). It would hold everything you need in the RAM, you could turn your computer off, and when you turn it back on, wham, everything is there. Instant boot.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Harlequin wrote:
    I thought there was some magnetic RAM, MRAM on the way(years back). It would hold everything you need in the RAM, you could turn your computer off, and when you turn it back on, wham, everything is there. Instant boot.

It's called NVRAM (Non Volatile RAM) and is already a reality. Just that no OS's yet support it (though a recent interview with a Micrsoft VP noted that Longhorn would).   

• User profile image
    sbc

There were posts at

CNet:
    Samsung Hybrid hard drive works while it sleeps

Engadget:
    Samsung and Microsoft introduce hybrid hard drive (HHD)

There were several other sites reporting on it as well.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

sbc wrote:
    There were posts at

CNet:
    Samsung Hybrid hard drive works while it sleeps

Engadget:
    Samsung and Microsoft introduce hybrid hard drive (HHD)

There were several other sites reporting on it as well.
    I figured there would have been some other sites reporting on this, but I never took the time to search around for them.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.