Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Guest account, is it worth it?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Loadsgood

I've gone security crazy. I've put a password onto the guest account and activated it. I want to know your opinions could I become really secure and only run the computer under the guest account? (With an admin account on the side too) is the guest account ready for secure usage? I noticed that it won't allow me (while in the guest account) to create an internet connection, although if one was there I might be able to access the internet... Does anyone know of a policy that enables me to allow accounts onto the internet via a certain connection or allow creation of an internet account?

Oh and does anyone know the exact place where I can set users to not be able to access the Task Manager?

Am I full of questions or what?
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Just run as limited user, get a good anti-virus solution, a good firewall solution, a good spyware solution and also make sure you can recognize you're computer is acting strange.  Then, you'll be all set.

Loadsgood is always full of questions. That's why he "Loadsgood."
    mVPstar

• User profile image
    David7738

Loadsgood wrote:
    Oh and does anyone know the exact place where I can set users to not be able to access the Task Manager?

Am I full of questions or what?
    Loadsgood.

Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)
    User Options | Administrative Templates | System | Ctrl-Alt-Del Options | Enable 'Remove Task Manager'

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

mVPstar wrote:
    Just run as limited user, get a good anti-virus solution, a good firewall solution, a good spyware solution and also make sure you can recognize you're computer is acting strange.  Then, you'll be all set.

mVPstar

I do all that, except I'm wondering if going into the guest account is even better protection againest the world... Imagine the power *drools* Wink

mVPstar is always full of... orange star avatars. That's why he's "mVPstar" Wink
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Loadsgood wrote:

I do all that, except I'm wondering if going into the guest account is even better protection againest the world... Imagine the power *drools*

It actually offers less protection than a limited user account, because it's intended to allow anonymous access.

Better to create a Limited User account and then remove any additional rights or privileges you don't want the account to have.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Loadsgood wrote:
    mVPstar wrote: Just run as limited user, get a good anti-virus solution, a good firewall solution, a good spyware solution and also make sure you can recognize you're computer is acting strange.  Then, you'll be all set.

mVPstar

I do all that, except I'm wondering if going into the guest account is even better protection againest the world... Imagine the power *drools*

mVPstar is always full of... orange star avatars. That's why he's "mVPstar"
    Loadsgood.

If you're really paranoid, reach around behind your computer with a pair of scissors, and cut the LAN or modem cable... that ought to fix you up good.
    Nah, get a hardware firewall.  Antivirus and Anti-spyware, keep patches up to date, you'll be good to go.  If anything, run as a normal user.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.