Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Media Centre for regular OEM's

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

when will we see this?
    apart from laptops - id NEVER buy from a "computer company" and you cant get it without going to a dell or hp etc

* sorry for all the new threads tonight

ps - i got a new dell laptop and it came with "dell media centre" which looks like a direct rip off of media centre xp

why are you holding it back / charging a premium for it?

• User profile image
    eagle

I sent an email to the OEM Channel VP last year about Media Center and he replied within two hours “that’s a good question”. He said he would “escalate” it, but I never heard back from anyone. I’m a System Builder, my machines are far superior to anything Dell, HP or Gateway can mass-produce yet only they can market WindowsXP Media Center.  
               I went to the Intel ICC week before last and they had a set-up a Media Center PC using WindowsXP and third party apps for movies, music and video. It was a nice PC, looking like a stereo amp with a silent fan and a remote control,  guess that's the way we will have to go. 

• User profile image
    Jaz

could XP Embedded not do the same sorta thing?

• User profile image
    miamijjs

With the amount of BS Microsoft takes for holes in the os code I have heard they don't just want to sell the MCE in a retail box due to the odds people would not be able to get it to work on homebrewed media centers. Microsoft didn't want the bad press.

I know many of the "smart" people here could get it to work great I believe they were worried about the more basic users.

I just bought a Dell 4600 for the software and tweeked out the tower from thst point.

The brown Dell MCE 2004 disc will do a clean boot on any Dell computer including laptops.

If you really wanted to try for free dell will take back any purchase before 60 days, you could "test" the MCE disc to see if it works for you (on the Dell computer you just bought).

Personally I would just go out and buy one to support the fine folks at Microsoft (and Dell).

Its well worth the price.

• User profile image
    eagle

WindowsXP Media Center is available with a MSDN subscription, I'm running it on my home box. 

• User profile image
    miamijjs

Whats the going rate for msdn....  like $2000+

(If all you want is MCE) Unless MSDN is under $800 your better off buying the a Dell 4600 MCE.

• User profile image
    themaffeo

miamijjs wrote:
    Unless MSDN is under $800 your better off buying the a Dell 4600 MCE.

$825:

http://www.gradware.com/ProductDetailT.asp?ProductID=5017

Add to that the cost of a community college course...so its like 950.

• User profile image
    eagle

Dell, go to Hell. Third class motherboards and third rate memmory. Support your local System Builder, or contact me and I will build you an incredible machine !

• User profile image
    jamie

well Eagle i should have called you first Wink

Anyway - why cant MS Hardware just make its own Windows TV Convertor for 19.99 to sell to OEMs - and let media centre loose

• User profile image
    eagle

eVGA Personal Cinema 5700 Available Now
    See what Personal Cinema can do for you

MSI's TVanywhere and ATI's ALL-IN-Wonder

Microsoft makes software.

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 Demos.

• User profile image
    eagle

Tomorrow Microsoft will anounce that System Builders will soon be able to offer WindowsXP Media Center.

Just after I learned the news I saw Bob, (the guy I emailed last year) and I told him I just got the answer to the question I asked him over a year ago...we had a good laugh over it!

• User profile image
    lars

eagle wrote:

This card is cheap and good. I've used one for about six months and the quality rocks!

• User profile image
    eagle

Yea, TVanywhere is a great card, everybody should start using there computers for TV and DVD's.

Now if I could only get a 50" LCD screan for $100!

I've been in Toronto for three days but there is no sign of jamie anywhere! I keep asking people "hey, where's jamie"...

• User profile image
    Jaz

goto harrods on sale day.

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

I don't know if it's worth anything, but I saw an advertisement in the Sunday paper for HP laptops / computers and they said "it recommended Windows Media Center Edition"... I thought that was interesting.

So, if this is true, looks like a regular OEM does have access to it.

• User profile image
    eagle

HP, Dell and Gateway have been selling Windows Media Center for the past year and a half. Now System Builders will be able to offer it as well, we build much better machines then the mass marketers.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.