Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

C9 team...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • W3bbo

I appear to have forgotten my IP address..

Yes, I know it sounds silly, but I rebooted my router without updating my IPUpdate database.

So basically, can you tell me the IP addresses I used to logon to C9 around 8:30 AM GMT?

Cheers

• Loadsgood

W3bbo wrote:
    So basically, can you tell me the IP addresses I used to logon to C9 around 8:30 AM GMT?

Yes and post it on the internet please, thanks Wink Email it to him instead. Or not. He could be trying to social engineer an IP address out of you 9Teamers, don't do it!

Has the trap been set?
    Loadsgood.

• Steve411

yeah, give ME your new IP. Tongue Out

• jmiller76
  • Steve411

jmiller76 wrote:

He wants to know the IP he used previous to restarting the router. This wouldn't do any good. And plus he could do it from the command prompt, as well.
    start > run > cmd

ipconfig /all

• jmiller76

I am asleep this morning,
    I use this when behind a NAT Firewall to get the outside address.

• Sven Groot

Steve411 wrote:
    ipconfig /all

That won't help if you're behind NAT.

• Steve411

Sven Groot wrote:
    Steve411 wrote:ipconfig /all

That won't help if you're behind NAT.

My mistake.

• androidi

Should you have used *nix servers over SSH with the previous ip you could see it by logging in the same one again and it shows the host you previously logged from.

• Shaded

You should be able to find it in the headers of any emails you sent at that time.  Did you send yourself any email those days?

This may sound strange but my email box is like a gigantic notebook to me.  I frequently send messages to myself

...Remember to do this tomorrow for whoever...

Good luck.

• Maurits

It would be nice if IM servers gave you a history of recent logins to your account by IP... would help catch password leaks, for example...

• W3bbo

Well, I'm home now...

note to self: Reboot router BEFORE 4:00am (that's the time my IPUpdate program stores my IP address)

• Minh

Being a mindless cable modem user, where my IP is given to me, I don't know the intracacies of this problem. Why is losing an IP address a problem? And what does it mean to lose an IP address?

• W3bbo

Minh wrote:
    Being a mindless cable modem user, where my IP is given to me, I don't know the intracacies of this problem. Why is losing an IP address a problem? And what does it mean to lose an IP address?

I've got a dynamic IP address that changes every time I reboot my router.

I need my home IP address if I'm to connect to my home Server which hosts OWA and Terminal Services.

In order to keep track of my ever-changing IP address, I wrote a little "mini-app" that sends a HTTP POST to an ASP.NET page on my w3bdevil.com server which stores the "REMOTE_ADDR" HTTP1.1 field in a database which is then recalled on a HTTP GET. Its a simple solution and it works.

I would normally use No-Ip.com, but I don't trust their software.

• Dr. Shim
  • ScanIAm

W3bbo wrote:
    Minh wrote: Being a mindless cable modem user, where my IP is given to me, I don't know the intracacies of this problem. Why is losing an IP address a problem? And what does it mean to lose an IP address?

I've got a dynamic IP address that changes every time I reboot my router.

I need my home IP address if I'm to connect to my home Server which hosts OWA and Terminal Services.

In order to keep track of my ever-changing IP address, I wrote a little "mini-app" that sends a HTTP POST to an ASP.NET page on my w3bdevil.com server which stores the "REMOTE_ADDR" HTTP1.1 field in a database which is then recalled on a HTTP GET. Its a simple solution and it works.

I would normally use No-Ip.com, but I don't trust their software.

Er...unless you spontaneously generate packets out of your butt, don't you have an ISP?  I'd be willing to bet that the money you spend month provides some kind of tech support.

Do you need your current home IP?  This won't help you now, but look up dyndns.org and get a freebie domain name.  They have an app that you run on your home machine that will ping them on a semi-regular basis so that if your IP changes, they can propagate the change through DNS.  This has the side effect of showing your IP address Smiley

• Maurits

W3bbo wrote:

Interesting...
    Technically REMOTE_ADDR is not an HTTP field, it's just reading off the connecting IP from the socket (so HTTP is not involved, just TCP)
    I do something similar to check, not the client, but the server (that it's up, responding, and not giving error messages) and then I email myself the result

• W3bbo

ScanIAm wrote:
    They have an app that you run on your home machine that will ping them on a semi-regular basis so that if your IP changes, they can propagate the change through DNS.  This has the side effect of showing your IP address

That's what my existing software does! Silly Tongue Out

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.