P2P and technology lose in our nation’s highest court

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

Programous wrote:
    Today will be remembered as a dark day in technology history as the Supreme Court rules in favor of profiteering gluttons and against technology.

Gag...

Yeah, don't let people try to make money off the music they have rights to.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

This does not just affect P2P, all the apps like AnyDVD, DVDShrink, NeroRecode and the like will be in the firing line as well! 

What about Linux, their reluctance to implement core DRM technologies in the platform clear show its intent is to create a platform to enable rampant piracy Smiley

Stephen.
  • User profile image
    pikatung

Blah, I'm guessing someone didn't read the ruling very carefully. Take careful note of this part

"One who distributes a device with the object of promoting its use to infringe copyright ... is liable for the resulting acts of infringement by third parties using the device, regardless of the device's lawful uses."

It's not the end of P2P. It's not the end of Betamax. More of an addendum to it. Companies aren't responsible for the misuse (in this case, to infringe on copyrights) of their device/software by their customers unless they specifically market it as such.

Now the case is back to the lower courts to determine whether Grokster actively promoted illegal use.

• User profile image
    Jorgie

I have to agree with pikatung....

If you are going to post a link (especially with inflamatory comments) RTFA...

As I remember it, they did a quite a bit of advertising relating to how eays they made the downloading of obviously copyrighted material. They should be slapped.

Jorgie

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    harumscarum

I agree with pikatung as well, but I have run out of tin foil so I have no choice. Smiley

• User profile image
    jcfiala

Programous wrote:

Apparently someone didn’t learn there lesion from the DMCA. The DMCA was designed to stop people from creating copying devices for copy protected content. It has currently been used to sue manufactures of generic ink cartages (thought they lost that case), and by Blizzard to sue BNet. That wording can denote anything when you have an army of lawyers.

I don't think this is a loss for anyone really.  Grokster was apparently openly asking people to use them to steal things - and the Supreme Court acknowledged that.  Something like Bittorrent, which is only intended to help copy large files, is still fine under this ruling.  Really, if the Supreme Court hadn't found for the RIAA/Motion Pictures, then they would have gone off into congress and bought themself a more stringent law.  Instead, the current law just got a little nudge.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.