Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft creating Windows for supercomputers

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

http://neowin.net/comments.php?id=20522&category=main

Keep up the great work guys, I can't wait to see the number (which I expect to be very high) of super computers that are switched to Microsoft's superior products. ^_^

• User profile image
    Manip

This entire project is silly IMO. Problem is Windows has so much higher overhead than Linux and frankly I would lean more towards using MS Dos than using Windows even if that copy had been highly optimized.

I have to agree with what someone said on /. this is just a PR move, I doubt it is even financially justifiable.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Manip wrote:
    This entire project is silly IMO. Problem is Windows has so much higher overhead than Linux and frankly I would lean more towards using MS Dos than using Windows even if that copy had been highly optimized.

I have to agree with what someone said on /. this is just a PR move, I doubt it is even financially justifiable.

With the new modulized Longhorn code and the command-line version of Longhorn that Microsoft is working on, they could probably create a version of Windows that looks just like DOS and Linux when viewing the monitor.

• User profile image
    themaffeo

Why assume that just because a super computer OS is built by msft, it will be a mod of XP or whatever?  Microsoft is fully capeable of creating varied types of operating systems that are not necissarily the same kernal.  If there is one thing MSFT does, it's to try to give the customers what they want (as well as make it easier).  A target market of Supercomputing is catagorically different that the target market of desktop computing - a fact I think we will see reflected in the architecture and design of a supercomputing OS.

My guess would be that a supercomputing os would bear little resembelence (under the hood) to anything you run on your desktop.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

themaffeo wrote:
    Why assume that just because a super computer OS is built by msft, it will be a mod of XP or whatever?  Microsoft is fully capeable of creating varied types of operating systems that are not necissarily the same kernal.  If there is one thing MSFT does, it's to try to give the customers what they want (as well as make it easier).  A target market of Supercomputing is catagorically different that the target market of desktop computing - a fact I think we will see reflected in the architecture and design of a supercomputing OS.

My guess would be that a supercomputing os would bear little resembelence (under the hood) to anything you run on your desktop.

I would think that they would use NT but they don't have to.

• User profile image
    eagle

Grid Computing is being explored at Microsoft Research.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

It's a good move for the segment. While we aren't particularly in the market for HPC-type stuff, it's a very nascent market. One where Linux et al are only really dominating because there aren't any major players.

Some really, really great innovation happening in this space, though, and the competition Microsoft would bring would only be a good thing, primarily because there's really nothing to leverage. HPC is about pure, raw computing power.

Microsoft's really managed to do that well on certain applications (SQL Server, for instance), so I'd hope they can take some lessons learned from those groups and apply them to HPC.

I looked at some of the job openings for the HPC group, some of the guys here actually seem quite suited for them (don't want to name names).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.