Coffeehouse Thread

66 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What should Microsoft do with podcasting/wikis/blogs/videoblogs?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    cyclingroo

I'll accpet the promotion to CIO.  It is utterly deserved. Wink  In the meantime, I can't wait to see the "flatter world" that you have alluded to in subsequent posts.  New (good) code always tends to do that.  But I was wondering if organizational flattening was true for Microsoft as well.  Do new bits actually make the Microsoft world "flatter."   We can see some of the effect on the outside.  And we hear your perspective.  But I wonder what the "old-timers" in Redmond think?  Would someone from the pre-Win95 days say that the company's ethic has substantively changed?  Hmm.  Just thinking/musing out loud.

=====

And now for something completely different... Be glad your son only ran across Dawn & Drew in his podcasting meanderings.  He might have landed on SoccerGirl (or somehting else).  But your concerns for him bring us to something very interesting.  Apple extended the RSS spec to accomodate things like content control (e.g., explicit advisory, etc) and annotation.  And that is laudible.  But I saw no such "announcement" of these extensions before the code rolled.  Did anyone here see any discussions on RSS spec extension before iTunes "hit the street"?

• User profile image
    phaselden

Have been thinking lately about writing a Windows Mobile podcasting app. (I was considering entering it into that competition for a trip to the PDC Smiley.

Anyway, I have started a blog (http://phaselden.blogspot.com/) to table some of my ideas. The first post is about developing an extension to RSS 2.0 to do chapters, which could be used for synchronized show notes.

Obviously, a lone developer such as myself would find it difficult getting something like this widely supported, so I am hoping that this gets picked up by the 'community' and developed into something that we call all use.

I have many more ideas about things like this and designs for a podcasting application. Depending on what sort of feeback I get I could be convinced to blog them rather than actually implementing the application.

Phil

• User profile image
    eagle

NetRyder wrote:

No, ATOM 1.0 will be the answer.

Standards are agreed upon by a world wide community.

• User profile image
    lmrobins

IMO, the problem with ATOM is that it came too late to the party, and it didn't ask everyone (i.e., Dave) to play.

Now, RSS is widely deployed and ATOM is jumping up and down saying "Hey, I'm over here and I'm a standard".  Well, so is RSS.  What is your definition of "agreed upon by a world wide community"?  IETF?  Or deployment all over the world?  Massive deployment seems like a pretty good statement of agreement to me.

As far as what Microsoft should do - someone (sorry, I forgot the name) a few posts back said it right:  Don't mimic whats already been done, and don't try to lock-in customers (both of which Apple  has done).  Innovate.  Think fresh.  Reach out to people with fringe ideas not even related to podcasting and see if they mesh when you bring them together.  For example, how can the "secret new technology" that Robert is using for blogging be used in Podcasting?

Lance
    http://lance.geekswithblogs.net/

• User profile image
    mikewoodhou​se

"What should Microsoft do...?"

Tricky question. Too tricky for me, so I'll recast it into something I can babble about.

We have a new way of doing something. Or a new something. What should Microsoft do to gain mindshare (and presumably revenue at some point) within this new, modified or enlarged space?

The easy thing to do is to ask customers what they want. But what they say they want (or what they think they want) can be misleading - and expensive, when you develop it and it turns out they don't actually want it at all.

Finding out what they need, making it (and making it in such a way that the customers want it) can be better. But you can't ask the customer directly because too many of them confuse "need" with "want" - inadvertently or otherwise. My kids do that, but they're young enough that it's OK.

Harder yet is getting the customer to tell you what problem they have, so that you can devise a solution. Of course, the cure has to be better than the disease.

And hardest of all, but most likely where you'll find the money, is devising a solution to a problem that the customer didn't know they had. Or to put it in a more positive light, offering the customer an opportunity to do something they didn't know they wanted to do. The problem is, the customer may turn out not to want it at all. That's no problem for startups: they just go bust and disappear. For larger companies it's trickier - they have to explain to shareholders why they "wasted" so much money...

• User profile image
    billh

Manip wrote:
    Check this out IMlogging - I have crossed using an IM client and blogging, so instead of you talking to someone you are actually blogging to them! This is an exciting new advance in technology! I want to know when Microsoft is going to advanced and add IMLogging to MSN Msg? All you have to do is add a button that says 'Send IMLogging Post' that works exactly like the standard chat button.

Or even better what about PicLogging, you use an RSS feed to transfer all the pictures to the consumer!

Or better clocklogging; instead of getting the clock time each hour though a TCP or UDP packet it gets added onto the RSS feed and your client downloads it and updates your clock! Genius!

<-- Look! I'm a Evangelist too, I created a brand new blogging term! Where is my MVP?

I wholeheartedly agree.  The possibilities are truly endless as Manip has pointed out. 

Think: BeerLogging...when the supply of beer in your smart fridge gets low enough, it could trigger some type of RSS feed "grocery list" that reminds you to pick up another case.

btw, has is there a possibility that an RSS feed could be used as a new attack vector?  I mean, what if some script kiddie figures out a buffer overflow in the XML parser?!?!? I know, I know "just unsubscribe!"

• User profile image
    eagle

The blog, audio and video file party is just begining, ATOM 1.0  will be arriving just in time!

• User profile image
    billh

eagle wrote:
    The blog, audio and video file party is just begining, ATOM 1.0  will be arriving just in time!

Yeah, but is any of it 64-bit?

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    eagle

Video editing is done on 64bit machines.

• User profile image
    billh

eagle wrote:

Video editing is done on 64bit machines.

I don't give a rip about video editing.  I'm not George Lucas.  Yet.  What about blogging?  Can I do that in 64-bit?  How about 16-bit?  Is it backwards compatible with 8-bit?

Good grief, man, think about the issues!

• User profile image
    TDavid

billh wrote:

I don't give a rip about video editing.  I'm not George Lucas.  Yet.  What about blogging?  Can I do that in 64-bit?  How about 16-bit?  Is it backwards compatible with 8-bit?

Good grief, man, think about the issues!

64-bit blogging LOL Heck, blogging could be done on a Vic 20. Technology has gone far beyond the real world requirements for word processing. Word is one of the most bloated wordprocessors on the planet. If a word processor doesn't load instantaneously these days there is a real problem with the product.

Hint to Microsoft: just because the space is there doesn't mean it has to be used!

And this thinking should be applied to Windows Media Player 11. Smaller, faster, more efficient, better.

• User profile image
    JDanielSmith

I posted some thoughts on this a while ago in the context of MSN Spaces; see
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/jdanielsmith/Blog/cns!1pRjebUoVh0bNLSJvrecmAEg!174.entry

• releasing MSN spaces w/o even a Beta vesion of an API is unconscionable when there are already so many Blog APIs available.
  • sure MOOL looks cool, but $45+/year seems a little pricy.  And I'm not really sure if I need it; you need to come up with a way to get people "hooked" on it like WebDAV access.
  • MSN should be the best ASP.NET hosting site in the world!  For around $20/month I'd get to host my domain name, Hotmail/MOOL (or IMAP), blogging, plus all of the other stuff you current get for $9.95/mo.  Be sure to become a registrar too so that there is "one stop shopping".
  • Become a showcase for all the cool new Microsoft technology and "best practices".  For example, there's no spell-checker as I'm typing this in...put some of the MSDN articles into production.
  • Why isn't MSN built on WSS/Sharepoint?
  • Between WSS/Sharepoint, Outlook/MOOL, Desktop Search, Office, and MSN Messenger, you should really be able to show the world all the advantages of "smart clients" (XP SP2 & .NET).  Instead, it seems that MSN mostly plays catch-up with things done elsewhere.  As just one example, integrate MSN Spaces with Outlook & Word -- do something with the LAME "Outlook Today" page.
  • User profile image
    Maurits

billh wrote:
    Yes.  Whatever happened to making cool things fit into a few K of memory?  It is a truly lost art.

It's coming back with portable devices, though.

• User profile image
    waltal

Robert, this particular mode of conversation was a great idea.  I can have your blog up on my left monitor while typing a reply into Channel 9 on my right monitor.  A technically crappy hack clears away some friction in the process.

Aha! Such a direct Segway, it's almost a Zinger! Wink

What should Microsoft do?

Clear away the friction and confusion!  You said it already, but I think your reference to Microsoft Office is the crux of the matter.  15 million people are using Spaces because it is easy (OK, it's free too, but so is the competition).

But clearly we are in the midst of another Internet revolution.  New things are appearing at a rapid rate.  Internet forums (like this one) are old, email is practically obsolete, IM is getting a massive overhaul, and so on.  Aggregated and digested content is king.

So to be relevant, or even to lead, Microsoft needs to make it easier to produce content for the new modes, needs to make it easier to aggregate and digest information and publish it out in these new ways.  Groove is neat, but that ain't it.  Neither is Sharepoint.

I hope Microsoft is agile enough to deliver something on that need.  Can the Word, Outlook, FrontPage, InfoPath, PowerPoint, Publisher, Excel, Access, SQL Server, OneNote and other teams get on board in a coordinated fashion?  Can they produce something neat and useful and forward-looking?  It sounds like the Manhattan Project of the New Web to me.

Good luck!

• User profile image
    jcwelch

How about MS just DOING something?

Better yet, do it in a way that doesn't force you to use Windows. Just do it right, and let the customers have it on whatever platform they want. There's nothing about *casting or blogging that should require windows.

but of course, Ballmer will never allow it.

First...fire ballmer and anyone else who's been there since Albequerque. It's pretty obvious they're incapable of dealing with the computing world as it is today.

Until you do that, it's going to be the same old stuff from MS for another decade, and they'll still punish you every chance they get for not using windows. 

• User profile image
    j0217995

PederVM wrote:

I could use that too.

The Technet guys probably could use a clone of Scoble. Perhaps a future version of Virtual Server and Virtual Server Migration Toolkit could help them run and admin him (but there are all sort of implementation issues with the human version 1.0 platform).

j0217995 wrote: I like the products I guess I don't find them sexy.

Just to bump this idea again, Scoble can you get something like channel9 for us admins?  Heck I'll do the interviews and videos for you Smiley

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

jcwelch wrote:
    How about MS just DOING something?

Better yet, do it in a way that doesn't force you to use Windows. Just do it right, and let the customers have it on whatever platform they want. There's nothing about *casting or blogging that should require windows.

but of course, Ballmer will never allow it.

First...fire ballmer and anyone else who's been there since Albequerque. It's pretty obvious they're incapable of dealing with the computing world as it is today.

Until you do that, it's going to be the same old stuff from MS for another decade, and they'll still punish you every chance they get for not using windows. 

Look, genius, Ballmer and the rest of the crew running the show at MSFT have done quite a nice job. It's rare that company can afford to simply give back $20Bil to their shareholders, but MSFT was able to do so.  Further, their stock took a beating just like every other tech stock at the beginning of the decade, but currently, it is holding out quite well.  You may not like them, but you're going to have to respect them. 

And, let's be clear here, just what do you know about the computing world of today?  I didn't see you offer up any suggestions, just whining.

• Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.