Coffeehouse Thread

2 posts

Presentation in Vector graphics

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    spiderLab

I've been following the development of Windows especially Avalon and WinFS, and it looks promising.

About Avalon

There is one thing I am wondering of and that is:

Is Microsoft going to compete with Macromedias Flash technology?

eg. the Avalon looks very similar to Flash and XAML looks like Flex

There have been rumors that Microsoft tried to buy Macromedia some years ago (I guess it was right before Longhorn was introduced to the public)

I saw one of the Interviews with Joe Beda
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=948
    "Is Avalon going to take over the web?"

If you can build Avalon applications that easily interact with web servers etc. I guess Macromedia is are frightened that all the web application developers is going to Avalon/XAML (except for Mac users and maybe Linux (by blogs etc. you can smell that Macromedia is playing with the *nix platform in the labs)

I bet MS with all their resources can develop this kind of technology faster and better then anyone and can easily whipe out Flash or any other technology in a second.

What do you think, is the technologies alike or am I wrong?

• User profile image
    Frank Hileman

Well, Avalon will only run on Longhorn machines, so Flash is not threatened by that for many years. There will always be a role for cross-platform graphics, such as SVG, as well.

I think the problem with flash is its focus on activex controls and macromedia-centered development tools. If you want to create animated vector graphics with .NET tools and languages you have to use something like VG.net -- activex controls are on the way out.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.