Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

what's the roadmap to MS technology,something beyond Longhorn?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    footballism

well,everyone has seen the benefits of .net framework,managed code,longhorn's avalon,indigo, winfs etc.but what ms plans to do after releasing longhorn in 2006,will they still stick to the windows platform or even something  more exciting,such as seamless computing as bill gates has talked about some months ago,ya know,something brings the windows,linux,and macintosh all together,makes the interoperability between different platform much easy,that'll be pretty much exciting really.
       so what's your predictions on MS technology,and what actually ms plans to do to make our programming experience much easier?
       hopefully every guy here enjoys this topic...

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Generally speaking, roadmaps are on a per-platform basis. I have no idea how difficult it would be to try and roadmap every technology across every group...

There is a server roadmap, and a client roadmap, out into 2010. I'm fairly sure I've seen roadmaps for every major product group out until that point.

The problem is that, by and large, many of the post-Longhorn projects are too far away to get into any major regarding features. I'm sure the people on the nextgen teams have ideas but, generally, that's likely all they are to be.

The MS development process is fairly iterative, with a lot of emphasis for creativity and innovation being placed on the beginning of the development phase, and not so much on the pre-development phase (where business objectives are drawn out).

Some of the C9 guys can probably give some input here, as there seems to be a bit of a lack of PM's here at Channel 9 (though I know of at least 3).

• User profile image
    bitmask

Voice command debugging in a virtual reality environment. That's what I can't wait for.

• User profile image
    eagle

Common Engineering Roadmap

"Microsoft has the best software engineering teams in the world; so, we believe we can build the best-engineered software products in the world. Well-engineered products consistently meet customer requirements, and our customers are demanding a consistently high level of reliability, security, lower total cost of ownership, and predictability from our products. The only way to make this happen is to have a specific set of criteria that each product must meet. Meeting this set of customer requirements is the core objective of Windows Server System."

Paul Flessner, senior vice president for Windows Server System, states the obvious. A goal all of us dream of, Systems that run in Harmony. We're not there yet, but with a goal in mind and a roadmap of how we are getting there, we're on our way!          

Download Roadmap.doc

• User profile image
    lenn

Bottom line ... it is really hard to say.  There will be future releases of Windows beyond Longhorn, the next release is slated to be code named "Blackcomb" but as far as what it will contain and what it will do ... your guess is as good as mine, although I doubt that you will see virtual reality and speech command interfaces as the norm per your request.

There are lots of ideas on the table but it is too early to put them out there right now.  We have our hands full with Longhorn, Whidbey, Yukon, Orcas right now and that will keep us working for a while.  Our product roadmaps tend to be evolutionary and build on the strategy that we have stated.  Managed Code, Web Services, etc are where we are placing our bets.  You can only dream where that will lead us all.  The world will look substantially different when we get Longhorn out the door, so it is hard to nail everything down this early.

• User profile image
    Jaz

what really intrests me is how the products do evolve.  i mean, why can't longhorn be like blckcomb, why couldn't win 3.1 be like win95. why can't office 97 be like 2003.

ok i can come up witha  1001 reasons, so i guess it's a rhetorical question, but still it does intrigue me even if the answers are obvious.  Someone has to know what i mean.

• User profile image
    eagle

The Blackcomb team has been working for over two years, is there any "talk" about what they have accomplished?

• User profile image
    bitmask

Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows has an interview with Bob Muglia on the Windows Server Roadmap.

• User profile image
    footballism

It seems that less ppl has the interest in this topic,but what my initiative to this topic is that i wanna know how people really think what MS 'SHOuld' do to make a really difference to their daily life,just as something like voice debugging,really cool feature which some ppls wanna get from ms products.
    so ya can put any imaginations and predictions here,even something which ain't still exist.
    I do hope more and more C9 guys can put their thoughts here.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.