Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

London is the venue for the 2012 Olympics Games

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sabot

    I'm more than just a little happy about this!

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/4655555.stm

    Commiserations to New York, Madrid & Moscow.

    ... as for the French? Just think of all that food thats going to get eaten at the 2012 Olympics and knowing London it's going to have come from all over the world!

  • User profile image
    footballism

    Congrats, Brits:p

  • User profile image
    borosen

    Sabot wrote:
    ... as for the French? Just think of all that food thats going to get eaten at the 2012 Olympics and knowing London it's going to have come from all over the world!
    Well, now the French can blame the food if they don't do so well..

  • User profile image
    Manip

    AS the only people in England that care are the middle and upper classes that attend public and or private schools I fail to see why public money should be wasted on this junk? Why doesn't the government increase taxes on those groups so they can watch this junk?

    I for one never saw any Olympic style events or equipment in government funded schools which begs the question where are the UK athletes drawn from?
     
    Perhaps private and or public schools again? What a shacker... I wonder when the black minority in London will get a shot at joining in as part of the UK Olympic team? Maybe when they get a track to train on?

    At least in American schools everyone is enouraged to take part in all sorts of sports, here they give you one ball and that is to last you the year...

  • User profile image
    Tensor

    Manip wrote:
    AS the only people in England that care are the middle and upper classes that attend public and or private schools I fail to see why public money should be wasted on this junk? Why doesn't the government increase taxes on those groups so they can watch this junk?

    I for one never saw any Olympic style events or equipment in government funded schools which begs the question where are the UK athletes drawn from?
     
    Perhaps private and or public schools again? What a shacker... I wonder when the black minority in London will get a shot at joining in as part of the UK Olympic team? Maybe when they get a track to train on?

    At least in American schools everyone is enouraged to take part in all sorts of sports, here they give you one ball and that is to last you the year...


    Frankly Manip, thats the biggest load of garbage I've seen you post. The era of public school boy gentleman sports is long long gone. Who are our greatest Olympians of recent years? Steve Redgrave - who famously broke in to the "public school" sport of rowing from a "normal" school background. Kelly Holmes - who you may have noticed, is Black. Linford Christie? Amir Khan? Do I have to go on or was this just a troll?

    Part of the whole purpose of the London olympic bid is that it was to be built in the deprived areas of East London. The presentation to the IOC played heavily on the fact that this was an area not only of deprivation but of dazzling diversity.



    Please at least botehr to think or check before posting.

  • User profile image
    kbee
  • User profile image
    blowdart

    kbee wrote:


    Chriac is always talking crepe.

    Thank you. I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress.

  • User profile image
    Tensor

    blowdart wrote:
    kbee wrote: http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/07/04/france.britain.reut/index.html


    Chriac is always talking crepe.

    Thank you. I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress.


    Ooooooooooooo... Hagis he had that coming.

    Try saying that slowly.

    I'll get my coat.

  • User profile image
    fdezjose

    Congrats to London! I wish Madrid would had won. Maybe next time!

  • User profile image
    Arran

    I have no doubt it will bring more money to the UK economy than it will cost to host.

    The money spent to get the infrastructure right will give money to UK industry, this then means they buy more from their suppliers.  Everyone in the chain hires people.  Those people then spend more money in retail.

    Also all the improvements to the city dont then just disappear after the Olympics.

    All the money spent has a massive multiplier effect.

    On top of that there is the obvious tourism.

    Manip: "AS the only people in England that care are the middle and upper classes that attend public and or private schools"

    Manip don’t speak for a large number of people when you don’t know what your talking about.


  • User profile image
    Tensor

    Actually it ended up costing Greek economy $10-12 billion. I'm hoping its about the same here and they have to scrap ID cards because of it.

    Anyway - anyone up for a bid to write the ticketing systems? Wink

  • User profile image
    eagle

    They’ll make it all back in Olympic umbrella sales.

  • User profile image
    harumscarum

    I have a question for anyone here who has lived in a city where the Olympics have been held. What has happened to all the stadiums/buildings that were built? Just curious if they are still in use or just collecting dust.

    Congrats to London.

  • User profile image
    Arran

    [quote user="Tensor"]Actually it ended up costing Greek economy $10-12 billion. I'm hoping its about the same here and they have to scrap ID cards because of it.
    [quote]

    Depends how you measure it.  Its very difficult to measure the benefits even though its quite easy to measure the cost.

    But yeah it does not really matter now...its going to happen! Smiley

  • User profile image
    footballism

    eagle wrote:

    They'll make it all back in Olympic umbrella sales.


    Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    Sabot

    harumscarum wrote:
    I have a question for anyone here who has lived in a city where the Olympics have been held. What has happened to all the stadiums/buildings that were built? Just curious if they are still in use or just collecting dust.


    I was in Sydney a year ago and the question really was ... when wasn't the facilities they used for the Olympics NOT being used! I went to the stadium for a Rugby game and the place was packed-out ... apparently it always is every Friday night.

    Manip ... cheer up mate. Having the Olympics is a good thing.

  • User profile image
    GeoffC

    "Having the Olympics is a good thing".

    Hmm, I think for the residents of the London Boroughs they will find that they have just won the Golden Albatross. The costs of recent Games have spiralled out of control, with the benefits not keeping pace. That's clearly been the case for Athens, and even for Sydney, the facts make for uncomfortable reading: http://www.liebreich.com/LDC/HTML/Olympics/London/Sydney.html

    And if you think that the budget for London isn't going to be overrun horrendously, then I've this bridge that you might like to buy.

    Be careful what you wish for.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Lets place bets on how gimmicky the opening parade will be!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.