Coffeehouse Thread

93 posts

We want Longhorn Beta Invites!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

My apologies to those sickened by the "seconded...ninered" cliche doing the rounds on the originating thread. But add yourself to this thread if you want to be on the LH Beta.

So far I've got the following:

ZippyV
    W3bbo
    Manip
    Programous
    HellSnoopy
    Sven Groot
    ShmuelPro
    MVPStar
    AndyC

Add yourself!

• User profile image
    gizmo_

I would like to be invited, but I doubt i fall into the criteria Sad

• User profile image
    BenZila

<------

• User profile image
    MasterPi

W3bbo wrote:
    My apologies to those sickened by the "seconded...ninered" cliche doing the rounds on the originating thread.

Or this WIKI. Smiley

mVPstar

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Place your name here on the Channel 9 Longhorn beta request list.
    -> Add yourself to the list now!

Requirements: +6 months membership and +50 postcount

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Guys, I hate to burst your bubble, but I doubt the Longhorn team are Angel short on beta-testers, or (b) want to use "post a lot on Channel 9" as their test criteria. No point wasting your energy on this until/unless you get one of the Longhorn team to say "sure, that sounds like a good idea!"

• User profile image
    Andre Da Costa

I add my name to list of persons who would like to be Longhorn Beta tester.

My reasons are not just be part of the inner circle, but to a part of an event that will change our computing live in the next year and a half.

I want to help Windows Longhorn Team create an excellent release of Windows. I offer as much feedback as possible. To put it simple, I really, really want to test Longhorn.

Thank you Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Willy Duitt wrote:
    I don't know how many posts I have

According to your profile page, you've only had 1 thread and 11 replies, amounting to 12 posts. You've got 38 to go.

Although you have been here since October 2004, some 9 months.

• User profile image
    blowdart

jonathanh wrote:
    Guys, I hate to burst your bubble, but I doubt the Longhorn team are Angel short on beta-testers, or (b) want to use "post a lot on Channel 9" as their test criteria. No point wasting your energy on this until/unless you get one of the Longhorn team to say "sure, that sounds like a good idea!"

Hey Jonathan,

Who should I prod if beta.microsoft.com never never processes any signups I enter?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Andre Da Costa wrote:
    I add my name to list of persons who would like to be Longhorn Beta tester.

You've been here long enough (April 2004) but your postcount is 3 short, currently at 45 replies and 2 threads.

• User profile image
    Andre Da Costa

W3bbo wrote:
    Andre Da Costa wrote: I add my name to list of persons who would like to be Longhorn Beta tester.

You've been here long enough (April 2004) but your postcount is 3 short, currently at 45 replies and 2 threads.

Well after what Johnathan said I don't think it will make any major difference now. The Longhorn Team has probably decided who they want to test Windows Longhorn since last year. Beta 2 is probably my only hope now.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

blowdart wrote:
    Hey Jonathan,

Who should I prod if beta.microsoft.com never never processes any signups I enter?
    It's probably the individual teams processing your requests who are to blame, rather than beta.microsoft.com itself. The infrastructure behind the site is rather... arcane... (prehistoric, even?) and it's definitely not a fun experience running a beta program with it. The end result is that teams try to spend as little time as possible interacting with it.

So if you've entered incomplete information, or you have duplicate entries, or you just happen to submit on a bad day when a beta program gets a surge of new applications (e.g. slashdot story...), there's a pretty good chance that whoever is processing the submissions will just drop yours on the floor, rather than taking the extra (painful) steps to bounce it back to you for further information.

Anyway, they've finally decided to throw it away and start over (yay!), which is why you'll see all the beta programs moving over to connect.microsoft.com over the next six months or so.

• User profile image
    PeterH

I don't think I meet the criteria, however I would love the experience, so I'm at least going to make a request:

Me please.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

jonathanh wrote:

Can't blame us for trying. Why don't you send the Windows team a mail about Channel 9, it's members and a link to our Wiki? If they have any questions about C9 let Charles or Scoble answer them.
    Except for the request list we also have other Longhorn stuff on the wiki that someone from the Windows team should certainly read!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Willy Duitt wrote:
    Shut up stupid... At best, as Jonathan pointed out, this is not sanctioned by the Longhorn Team...

Besides, I've been here longer than you and quite frankly you're one of the reasons I do not often post here...

You pompous spelling (I need to watch my language)...

Secondly, if you bother to read and follow my thread (several actually) on developement help for the MSNTV2, you will see my question was never answered and Charles indicated that he would get back to me personally...
    Which he never did...And lastly, who the hell do you think you are that you can decide what other channel Nine members can or can not do...Step off punk!!.....Willy

Hey... easy tiger. If you want to flame me, do it via PM.

• User profile image
    blowdart

jonathanh wrote:

It's probably the individual teams processing your requests who are to blame, rather than beta.microsoft.com itself. The infrastructure behind the site is rather... arcane... (prehistoric, even?) and it's definitely not a fun experience running a beta program with it. The end result is that teams try to spend as little time as possible interacting with it.

Somewhat embarassing when I post questions in the SQL beta newsgroups and they say "Have you logged the bug through beta place"? Errr no, I can't.

Heh.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

ZippyV wrote:
    Can't blame us for trying. Why don't you send the Windows team a mail about Channel 9, it's members and a link to our Wiki? If they have any questions about C9 let Charles or Scoble answer them.
    Except for the request list we also have other Longhorn stuff on the wiki that someone from the Windows team should certainly read!
    Nope, I don't blame you for trying Smiley As I mentioned on the other thread, Scoble is probably the only one here with enough "pull" to make this happen. 

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

jonathanh wrote:
    Guys, I hate to burst your bubble, but I doubt the Longhorn team are Angel short on beta-testers, or (b) want to use "post a lot on Channel 9" as their test criteria.

It's never going to "just happen".

Frankly, just giving invites out to people on Channel9 is (1) pointless and (2) a pain in the (I need to watch my language) for the Longhorn Team.

However, as I explained over here, Microsoft could use Channel9 as part of a larger strategy; the same one that prompted Team99.

Channel9 has a pre-existing infrastructure, and is closely integrated with what Scoble is doing. Doubtless, when debates arise about Longhorn, Scoble will direct people to Channel9 for a "disucssion"-mode conversation.

Yes, it will take someone with influence to approve the idea - who came up with/approved the idea of Team99? They might like the idea - but if so, there are some interesting applications for it.

Channel9 is about transparency within Microsoft. Upcoming products and programs need transparency as PR... raise awareness and excitement. I see Channel9 as the "transparent" arm of MSDN. It makes a certain degree of sense to make Channel9 the "developers community for Longhorn".

I've always thought that Team99 was only one part of the "transparent publicity" strategy; really need a discussion forum and a wiki to leverage full returns on the communtiy. The only reason to use Channel9 is because it has (1) a reputation, (2) pre-existing infrastructure, and (3) connected with Scoble (connect more with Team99 and gain free PR).

Creating another discussion forum and attached wiki would be almost as good - and something I hope the Longhorn does if it doesn't use Channel9 - but lacks the community and infrastructure advantages.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.