Coffeehouse Thread

51 posts

who is doing the innovative stuff over the last few years?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    leighsword

IBM, of course.
    the data proved it.

IBM did make 500 patents available!!!
    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-sutorinterview.html?ca=dnt-613

who invent the Relation Database? IBM did.

IBM also owns many of the patents on the IPN, since the corporation has been the leading creator of U.S. patents for the past 11 years. Since 1993, IBM has received 25,772 U.S. patents, with 3,415 obtained in 2003 alone. IBM has a portfolio of about 23,000 active patents in the U.S. and more than 40,000 patents worldwide. The company has an active program of licensing selected technologies to third parties.

• User profile image
    PeterH

No-one can deny it Tongue Out

What have we got:

Google Maps
    Google Earth
    Gmail
    Picasa
    Blogger
    Google Ride Finder
    Google Video

Although many of thoughs are still in Beta I think they all deserve to be mentioned...

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Question: How do you define "innovative"? Is it the first to come up with the idea ever? The first to implement it? Or the first to bring it to mass market?

There are multiple simultaneous definitions....

• User profile image
    leighsword

Michael Griffiths wrote:
    Question: How do you define "innovative"? Is it the first to come up with the idea ever? The first to implement it? Or the first to bring it to mass market?

innovative , 创新, it means that Create New [stuff] based on the older.
    well, it's my mistakes, the quesation should be 'who is doing the invent stuff over the last few years?
    answer: IBM did.

• User profile image
    PeterH

Michael Griffiths wrote:

I'd say neither of these. Coming up with the first idea, or implimenting it or bringing it to the market all allow for any new idea, so this could be any crazy product which may never meet the customer.

I belive that innovation is one of those *thinking outside of the box* ideas. Coming up with something that makes people think "Why didn't I think of that". Implementing it has nothing to do with it. In my opinion.

• User profile image
    borosen

PeterH wrote:

I belive that innovation is one of those *thinking outside of the box* ideas. Coming up with something that makes people think "Why didn't I think of that". Implementing it has nothing to do with it. In my opinion.

I do agree that an innovation should be made of *thinking outside of the box* ideas. But I also think that the implementation is a critical part of the innovation, otherwise it is still just an idea.

The implementation is the ultimate proof of the soundness of the idea.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

"Most patents registered" is not the same as "most innovative."  All it means is that they have an efficient legal office that keeps themselves very busy by patenting anything remotely resembling a new idea.

I checked out the 500 software patents IBM is "giving to OSS."  All were either esoteric or incredibly vague.  Those 500 are probably a decent sampling of just how "innovative" their patented ideas were though.

• User profile image
    BruceLee

PeterH wrote:

No-one can deny it

What have we got:

Google Maps
    Google Earth
    Gmail
    Picasa
    Blogger
    Google Ride Finder
    Google Video

Although many of thoughs are still in Beta I think they all deserve to be mentioned...

IBM may have huge numbers of patents, but Google is best at creating so many cool services/products from cool ideas.

• User profile image
    jamie

Microsoft is.

- if you view it from 30 thousand feet

google is if your looking in front of you

edit - even i admit that sounds too pro ms - but i think its true

• User profile image
    blowdart

PeterH wrote:

No-one can deny it

What have we got:

Google Maps
    Google Earth
    Gmail
    Picasa
    Blogger
    Google Ride Finder
    Google Video

google maps? There have been on-line maps before, it's just the use of ajax for scrolling was "nifty"
    google earth? purchased and again, there have been other people doing it, Nasa for one.
    gmail? Yet another web mail
    picasa? purchased
    blogger? purchased
    ride finder? Can't comment, no idea what it is
    video? Hosting is innovative?

No, google are not innovative, they take what someone has already done, add a couple of twiddly bits and release it. The /. crowd then happily call it new and say how cool google are, all the time forgetting about that nasty cookie and all the tracking information they're gathering.

I'd say that adsense was probably the only innovative thing they have come up with

• User profile image
    scobleizer

I think you missed Ballmer's definition of innovative. I'm reading between the lines here, but looking at what got his respect, I think he'd define innovation as:

Something cool and new that makes a ton of money.

If you put that filter on it then his remarks make total sense.

• User profile image
    blowdart

scobleizer wrote:
    I think you missed Ballmer's definition of innovative. I'm reading between the lines here, but looking at what got his respect, I think he'd define innovation as:

Oh, the marketing dictionary

• User profile image
    borosen

blowdart wrote:
    scobleizer wrote:I think you missed Ballmer's definition of innovative. I'm reading between the lines here, but looking at what got his respect, I think he'd define innovation as:

Oh, the marketing dictionary

Interesting...

In school we are taught that the english language it one of the top languages in regards of number of words. Not enuogh it seems...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

borosen wrote:
    We are taught that the english language it one of the top languages in regards of number of words.

I beg to differ, that probably comes from all the technical and chemical words that are derived from english. But the East-Asian languages probably have waay more words than English, Kanji has a few thousand characters anyway.

• User profile image
    rv

W3bbo wrote:
    borosen wrote:We are taught that the english language it one of the top languages in regards of number of words.

I beg to differ, that probably comes from all the technical and chemical words that are derived from english. But the East-Asian languages probably have waay more words than English, Kanji has a few thousand characters anyway.

It's my understanding that the large number of words in the English language originates from the multiple source languages from which it derives.

There is no meaningful relation between the number of characters in an alphabet and the number of words in a language unless you take into account average word length.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo wrote:
    borosen wrote: We are taught that the english language it one of the top languages in regards of number of words.

Number of characters in a language has nothing to do with number of words. Japanese has only 1945 officially sanctioned characters, and about 5000 unofficial ones, but surely you don't believe they have only 7000 words?

English has according to linguists some 900,000 words, which makes it the biggest vocabulary in the world. Of course, nobody knows all of them, and even the most comprehensive dictionary only has about 200,000 of them.

• User profile image
    Manip

Some innovative things I have seen that immediately come to mind are

Google Suggest (Real time Auto-Complete Search)

3D Object Scanning (Guess!)

<- End

I can't seem to think of any original and innovative ideas of the past year, most just seem like a re-hash of things someone else has made. Google maps for example wasn't the first to do exactly that, they just got a large market share because of the Google name.

• User profile image
    footballism

scobleizer wrote:

If you put that filter on it then his remarks make total sense.

Innovation means making a lot of money? that's a Micro$oft unique definition:p
    I think innovations should mean originality, something which can make human beings progress further, but it doesn't necessarily mean making a lot of money, uh?
    Looking back at the hybrid rice wich is invented by academician Nongping Yuan who makes little money out of his innovation, we can better understand what innovation and being innovative really means.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.