Coffeehouse Thread

104 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Beer28: Don't leave

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Charles

    Come on, Beer. You know you're welcome here. Don't leave. As we all need to remind ourselves from time to time (including yours truly): just be respectful and all will work out.

    Keep on posting,

    C

  • User profile image
    Manip

    Charles wrote:
    Come on, Beer. You know you're welcome here.


    Speak for yourself. Or as the C9 team if you want but not for everyone.

  • User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

    I would prefer for Beer28 to quietely disappear, personally.

  • User profile image
    geekling

    Hi, Charles!

    What'chu lovin' about Beer28?


  • User profile image
    manickernel

    Somehow I ran across this essay on zealots, and find it interesting to reflect on my own stance.

    While there I read a number of the other essays and find this author really worth the read. Especially her his musings on "double standards" and the need for men to "desire to be conquered".

    Smiley


  • User profile image
    DoomBringer

    Meh.  Why all the drama?  If Beer wants to leave, its his right.  If he doesn't then he has to accept that people are going to respond.  The 'net is a pretty rough and tumble place.  If your feelings are easily bruised, you'd better avoid going to discussion places.  Especially when your opinions are so off the wall.
    I'm ok with him staying.  But I'm not going to go begging him, that is silly.
    Can we end the drama queen antics?

  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

    He made his own decision to leave.  No one forced him to.  I like beer, somedays. Otherdays he gets annpying, I know everyone does.   If I dont like a headline that Beer has posted  I tend to ignore him.  If he chooses to come back it will be life as usual with good ole Beer doing his Linux thing, if he doesnt, good luck to him.  Do I want him to come back?  If he is willing to drop the "Linux is superior in all ways to Windows and you guys are inferior to me because you use Windows" attitude then yes, I do.  If he cant drop it, if itr bugs him that much that people do use Windows for the same things he uses Linux for, then no.  As a person I like Beer, he hasnt done anything to me.

  • User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

    Surely you wouldn't expect this statement from me, but Beer28 wasn't nearly as bad as the REAL trolls posting on Scoble's blog!!! :O

    That said, he is very narrow-minded, cannot admit when he's wrong, and really seems to live in a world of his own (no sense of reality - which really pisses people off...).

    Sometimes, I found it very funny, bUt above all, it confirmed the (sad!) reality that the Linux community is a sh*thole, full of decadent people...

  • User profile image
    PeterH

    I didn't really know Beer28. But if this was the first thread I read when I came to this community I would be out like a shot. I can see that some people find Beer28 an annoyance, but he has as much right as all of us to use this community. Those of us encouraging him to leave should perhaps consider their own existence in this community.

    How are we supposed to turn this into a thriving website if we are sending people away.

    Anyway, the odd argument or disagreement is partly what makes this community special, for me at least.

    Beer28, please stay.

  • User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

    PeterH wrote:
    I didn't really know Beer28.

    Perplexed  OK, so the rest of your comment is pointless!
    Please, refrain from posting things that you don't fully understand or know about. That was just the mistake that Beer28 made so many times: he was commenting on Windows and MS technology, although he really didn't master it, and hadn't even used it for the past few years or so...

    Personally, I will never comment on a thread in which a subject is discussed that I am ignorant of. I will learn from it, and accept the things that people with authority in that field say.

  • User profile image
    PeterH

    dotnetjunkie wrote:

    Perplexed  OK, so the rest of your comment is pointless!


    That is what you're forgetting, who ever it is, even if I'd never heard of them, they deserve to be treated with respect.

  • User profile image
    Minh

    dotnetjunkie wrote:

    Perplexed  OK, so the rest of your comment is pointless!
    Please, refrain from posting things that you don't fully understand or know about....
    The old king died, and apparently we have ourselves a new king.

  • User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

    That's a wise thing to do, no?
    Didn't your mother teach you that? Smiley

  • User profile image
    irascian

    dotnetjunkie wrote:

    Please, refrain from posting things that you don't fully understand or know about. That was just the mistake that Beer28 made so many times: he was commenting on Windows and MS technology, although he really didn't master it, and hadn't even used it for the past few years or so...

    Personally, I will never comment on a thread in which a subject is discussed that I am ignorant of. I will learn from it, and accept the things that people with authority in that field say.


    I fail to see why one should only be allowed to post on things that you fully understand or know about. On that basis I would suggest that many here (including myself) should be forced to leave immediately! All opinions should be equally valid so long as they don't become too hectoring and belligerent and don't resort to personal attacks.

    As for your second paragraph I've seen several postings that I would say contradict what you say above. In many ways, and this may be coloured by only having read a few of your posts, you are fixed in my mind as the "Microsoft" version of beer28.

  • User profile image
    Steve411

    Good conversation gone totally bad. Smiley Another one for the history books.

    ps. thanks for agreeing charles
    Steve.

  • User profile image
    daytrip00

    Charles wrote:
    Come on, Beer. You know you're welcome here. Don't leave. As we all need to remind ourselves from time to time (including yours truly): just be respectful and all will work out.

    Keep on posting,


    When did Beer say he was leaving?  I think i missed that thread.

    I used to hope Beer would leave but in the past month or two, he toned it down a bit and I now enjoy having him here.  I say stay.

  • User profile image
    Cider

    It seems to me that one of the biggest errors made in all this is that people who aren't here, the people who aren't reading the threads are the ones defending Beer - as these are the people who, despite what I've said, despite what Manip's said, despite what Sven's said, come to this conclusion that the animosity towards Beer is a Linux vs Microsoft thing.  It plainly isn't.

    Look, if a rabid Microsoft fan started to hack servers and boast about it, register goodspyware.com and say he's going to write spyware and say he doesn't care about the consequences, steal licenses (need I point out the nAntPad thread, where someone was rightly pulled up about their license stealing), act the a-hole and generally contribute nothing to the community, there would be as EQUAL a backlash against them.

    I think the fact that Charles initiated this thread speaks volumes.  As least Jonathanh has the decency to read and contribute to threads...

  • User profile image
    daytrip00

    Cider wrote:
    It seems to me that one of the biggest errors made in all this is that people who aren't here, the people who aren't reading the threads are the ones defending Beer - as these are the people who, despite what I've said, despite what Manip's said, despite what Sven's said, come to this conclusion that the animosity towards Beer is a Linux vs Microsoft thing.  It plainly isn't.

    Look, if a rabid Microsoft fan started to hack servers and boast about it, register goodspyware.com and say he's going to write spyware and say he doesn't care about the consequences, steal licenses (need I point out the nAntPad thread, where someone was rightly pulled up about their license stealing), act the a-hole and generally contribute nothing to the community, there would be as EQUAL a backlash against them.

    I think the fact that Charles initiated this thread speaks volumes.  As least Jonathanh has the decency to read and contribute to threads...


    I read this forum all the time.  And, from time to time, I suffer from a disease which is RAMPANT on these forums: jump-to-conclusion-itis.   I check this forum usually once or twice a day (or more on bored days).

    I missed the comment where Beer said he was leaving (which I searched for near and far I might add).  Instead of saying my opinion is worthless because I don't hit refresh every 30 or 40 seconds, how about, instead, pointing me to where Beer said he was leaving.  A little chat thread history linking would be nice too.

    I think we should all conciously attempt NOT to attack and give people the benifit of doubt in absence of a preponderance of evidence to the contrary.  Not every thread has to be a flame war folks!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.