Coffeehouse Thread

51 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Media Player 10 -- Technical Beta Starts

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    scobleizer

Just released: the new Windows Media Player 10 technical beta. All the usual disclaimers apply: this is early code and Channel9 hasn't been tested with it yet (we're getting it the same time you are).

• User profile image
    arkan

Shouldn't it be, "Windows Media Player 9.5"?  Figuring, the codecs are all still wm9. MS should save the 10 designation for longhorn's media player...better yet drop the player part and call it, WMX(10) Tongue Out.

• User profile image
    Dr. Shim

It has no new feature, just a nice new interface... Oh, and you can browse online movie/music stores.

• User profile image
    Jaz

so will it have any features weve been begging for or will MS continue to ignore us?

• User profile image
    Steve411

scobleizer wrote:
    Just released: the new Windows Media Player 10 technical beta. All the usual disclaimers apply: this is early code and Channel9 hasn't been tested with it yet (we're getting it the same time you are).

If you did not test WMP10, now you get to witness for you self what it has to offer. Smiley

• User profile image
    Epsi

First thing I've noticed... how do you change skins in this version? There's still a button for going into skins mode, but no way I can see to actually change skins.

Also, I was deleting playlists in the library, and I noticed that when I deleted one in the left bar, it didn't disappear in the middle bar, leading to an error if I then tried to delete it in the middle bar.

• User profile image
    amg

So far...not impressed at all.  Having tested the early pre-beta builds...I'm really surprised that so little innovation is being put into this product.

Evolution will not win this game.  Revolution will.  Even if you want to play "software in a vacuum" and pretend you aren't competing with the new standard (iTunes)...this isn't even a very good evolved version.

Last time I checked...beta stood for "feature complete".  If this thing is feature complete...I'm sad.

• User profile image
    Steve411

amg wrote:
    So far...not impressed at all.  Having tested the early pre-beta builds...I'm really surprised that so little innovation is being put into this product.

Evolution will not win this game.  Revolution will.  Even if you want to play "software in a vacuum" and pretend you aren't competing with the new standard (iTunes)...this isn't even a very good evolved version.

Last time I checked...beta stood for "feature complete".  If this thing is feature complete...I'm sad.

Ok..
     I just noticed something..
     When you minize WMP10 into "Toolbar mode" the Play Button DOES NOT WORK!
     Yea, a song was playing then it finished, then again teh button would not work...   
     And when a song is playing the stop button does not work, neither do the "Go forward" and "Go Back" buttons....

• User profile image
    yotaku

Jaz wrote:
    so will it have any features weve been begging for or will MS continue to ignore us?

What features is it that you want?  I'm not on the WMP team, and they probably know, but I haven't heard much of an uproar for features.  Here would be a great place to mention features you want, as I'm sure someone on the WMP team will see it.  The feature I hear most is less bloat - more like winamp 2.  So it would make sense that there wouldn't be a huge number of new features.  On the other hand, I expect that the WMP team is also working hard on a LH version, and I suspect that that version will be more revolutionary.

Also if you read the change log, it sounds like a lot of the work in this version is to work with syncing mobile devices.  I suspect that once MS's mobile media players start to come out these features will become more apparent.

• User profile image
    raptor3676

Yes, I agree with yotaku, so far every mediaplayer I've tested (wmp9, realplayer, musicmatch, QuickTime, WinAmp3/5) is a resource hog, except for WinAmp2 and I'll stick to it.  But from all of them WMP9 is (surpraisingly) closer to WinAmp2.

The only reason I prefer WinAmp2.91 is that Media Library is easier to use. So WMP Team if you improve the user experience on the WMP10 Media Library and you keep it lean and mean on resource usage, you already win my vote as the prefered media player.  WMP9 is faster than WinAmp2.91 when showing videos.

By the way if WMP10 uses the same WMP9 codecs... I should be named WMP9.5

• User profile image
    amg

yotaku wrote:

On the other hand, I expect that the WMP team is also working hard on a LH version, and I suspect that that version will be more revolutionary.

Also if you read the change log, it sounds like a lot of the work in this version is to work with syncing mobile devices.  I suspect that once MS's mobile media players start to come out these features will become more apparent.

Two years from now is an acceptable time frame for a major operating system (and that's only my opinion...many would disagree).  It is an eternity in the exponentially growing e-music arena.  That's two years for "iPod + iTunes" and Winamp to become even more entrenched standards.  If the goal is to create a mediocre player to let 3rd parties shine...then...it's being met very well.  I only wish the same type of attention to qualify and entertainment value given by the MS Games division to their products was directed at WMP.  Maybe someone could talk Ed Fries into coming back and heading up MSN Music and WMP?

I don't see a single player in this technical beta that wasn't also supported in WMP9.

• User profile image
    fatboy_au

Has anyone else had trouble with the uninstall? After using the add/remove option to run through the uninstall which it says is compelte. It does not change anything.

Note: This is not a dev system and only had XP and Office 2k

• User profile image
    scobleizer

I haven't tried to uninstall yet.

Seems to work better overall on my system. Scrolling pages with videos is noticably nicer.

I like the new cleaner UI.

So far pretty stable. I'll have to try ripping some CDs and such.

• User profile image
    arkan

I've actually had a problem with scrolling dir(s) with video/thumbnails. It stopped responding wile refreshing thumbs. I actually had to reset and it curupted some files. Maybe, it was just a coincidence?

• User profile image
    Dr. Shim

yotaku wrote:
    What features is it that you want?  I'm not on the WMP team, and they probably know, but I haven't heard much of an uproar for features...

I see your point. On the outset, there don't seem to be many features, but I myself can't really think of anything to add. I suppose better integration within the operating-system (such as Outlook might have in Longhorn), and to be more responsive. For instance, when I click on a file in the playlist, sometimes the entire application (this is with Media Player 9 too) becomes inactive for, at the most, five seconds. I know it's doing alot under the hood, sure, but that's all I can come up with...

Oh yeah! Nicer, WinAMP 5 style, vizualisations would be awesome! Like real-time 3D stuff!

Well, that's about it, really. Tongue Out

Tuning into WinAMP radio stations would be nice, and to watch TV (like in WinAMP 5) would be also a neat feature.

• User profile image
    juliankay

So far this version is kinda 'meh'.

Features I would like to see:

A /decent/ default skin (for skin mode). One that perfectly matches the default main skin.

Ability to turn off buttons. (like Sync and the Online stores)

Better intergration with IE. If I'm listening to an album, then click a video link in IE, it should pause my album and show me the video, when the video's finished it should go back to my album where I left off!

Though this sync stuff is nice, it should be part of the OS (lets hope longhorn does this and 0wns isync)

Ability to watch TV using a TV card - I'd love to be able to record too!

Right click on the miniplayer!!

I have more, but I'll have to post them when I get home...

I also think this version really should be 9.5.

Why does everything have to be a major version number these days!?

• User profile image
    nektar

yotaku wrote:
    What features is it that you want?  I'm not on the WMP team, and they probably know, but I haven't heard much of an uproar for features...

You say that users complain that WMP is overloaded with features. In my opinion this is not the problem but the issue is that WMP9 uses a bulky interface which affects negatively its performance as well. Users are actually asking for new features and especially for some minor improvements which will make life simpler. I'll try and summarize from other discussions (this are for WMP9 I have not tested WMP10 yet):
    Shorter startup time.
    Current interface is poorly designed.
    Other background processes should not affect playback quality.
    The process for selecting songs to playback should be fast and simple. The same for listening to purchased music.
    A rich  codecs collection supporting most formats for playback and ripping preferably available also through Windows Update. Support for more formats should include MP2, MP4, Quicktime, Real Audio/Video, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, DivX, XviD, etc. This support should come with the OS itself. (Real Player 10 supports all those formats already and even more).
    Icecast/Shoutcast support by default.
    Ripping to wav should be supported. (many sound editing programs still support only wav).
    Ripping should not make the computer unavailable for other tasks.
    Recording from line-in, so that we can record our tapes from a single program and compress them by any codecs we like!
    Recording from streaming audio/video should also be supported.
    Downloading and installing different codecs should be made seemless and without errors. (Supporting more formats will not harm WMA/WMV but will instead make users happy for the seemless experience and give them choice.)
    Why should we install a load of media players just to play different formats?
    A codecs organizer should be included showing codecs names, versions, file types supported, etc and allowing codecs more customization.
    Simpler and customizable keyboard shortcuts. (like in Winamp v2).
    Play/pause with the spacebar.
    Fast forward / rewind with the cursors.
    Fast forward / rewind by using the mouse whill.
    Ability to seek (jump) to a specific time in a song/video. (Like in Real Player pressing ctrl+e and then entering a time).
    Ability to fade-out the current song by a keypress.
    Support controlling playback and other features like equalizer by the keyboard.
    Where is the always on top?
    Include a simple default skin which is saficient for most users.
    Skin size should not affect maximum video scaling.
    More and richer plugins. (Winamp has a richer set of plugins).
    WMP9 should not load in the Media Guide at startup by default.
    Media Guide should have better content and should not include any pop up advertisements.
    Consistent volume control among different programs.
    More helpful error messages.
    Better randomization of songs.
    A simpler way for switching into and out of full screen.
    Ability to pause the current item, play something else and then continue with the one previously paused, like you can do with the old tapes.
    Sharing of the media library through the network and by other programs.
    Printing of playlists should be supported.
    An easier way of making screenshots of videos.
    Printscreen should always capture what is on the screen.
    Better dual monitor support.
    Tv support.
    Maybe ability to run multible instances of the Player like in v6.4.

Including more codecs for supporting other, popular at least, formats is the top user request and WMP10 does not in any way fulfill this request!

• User profile image
    Jaz

theres a whole thread on what we want in WMP

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.