Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Microsoft Comic Chat

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lazycoder2

Whatever happened to MS Comic Chat? It came with IE 3.0 waaaaay back when.
    I found a page at MS Research about it and every now and then I'll see a web comic based on the characters. Where did Comic Chat go? It was a blast!

http://research.microsoft.com/vwg/projectsheets/comicchat.htm

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Comic Chat was an IRC client. Microsoft kinda has it in with IRC since it isn't exactly "Home User Friendly" nor does it tie in with their "Corporate" image, so they dropped it in favor of their "MSN Chat" services and MSN Messenger.

That... plus virtually every IRC network bans the ComicChat client because it adds about 12 letters worth of metadata to every chat line.

• User profile image
    lukes

I remember the good old says of comic chat. I downloaded it a few months ago (ohh the memories). This site has links to where you can download it from.

• User profile image
    JBTWeb​Hosting

Hey,

Comic chat is alive and well, but with only private indivduals like myself. Click here to download and install Microsoft Chat 2.5. Then, click here to connect to my IRC server.

You can create and control your own rooms, transfer files to onw another, and best of all you get away from boring old text line chat that is hard to follow. Visit http://comicchat.geekgalaxy.com for more details.

If you prefer textline chat visit http://thetopicroom.com.
    Please note: These sites relatively new, please help spread the word about them!!

Smiley

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

They prolly realised that letting every peterPhile on the net appear as 'Tigger' wasn't a great idea.. ....and rightly so.

• User profile image
    JBTWeb​Hosting

That is probably true. But there are hundreds of different characters out there now because you can make your own.

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

JBTWebHosting wrote:
    That is probably true. But there are hundreds of different characters out there now because you can make your own.

...so we could see an MS Chat with a neeekid scoble! Expressionless

• User profile image
    W3bbo

JBTWebHosting wrote:
    Yeah that is possible, but unlikely. Bots monitor most of the rooms and will ban users who are mental. Besides most pervs are in regular chatrooms these days.

Bots cannot monitor those seeking to abuse children, their messages are impossible to tell apart from those from the people they're impersonating. The monitoring has to be performed by real people.

...and you're forgetting there's no such thing as a ban on non-whitelisted IRC network.

• User profile image
    JBTWeb​Hosting

Yeah that is possible, but unlikely. Bots monitor most of the rooms and will ban users who are mental. Besides most pervs are in regular chatrooms these days. The people I've run into in comic chat seem to be decent people from all over the world. Then again, I am relatively new to it. My IRC server is here if you want to discuss it.

• User profile image
    JBTWeb​Hosting

Either way parents or guardians should monitor their kids. Thats the bottom line! Comic Chat is still cool I think!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

JBTWebHosting wrote:
    Comic Chat is still cool I think!

It's not "cool", it's a gimmick.

The idea of chatting as a "character" just returns spine-tingling memories of MUDs and MUCKs that I'd rather not remember... ever again.

If you want to chat/exchange text messages, you want to do it in the most efficient way possible, and that's the "traditional" IRC "[Username] Message\n" format.

Yahoo Instant Messenger tried to re-vitalise the concept with their "IMvironments" released in 2003, they went nowhere.

• User profile image
    AndyC

IRC is, of course, irritating and rubbish. The idea behind the comic part was interesting though. I'm sure there's a use for something similar if done right, however.

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

AndyC wrote:
    IRC is, of course, irritating and rubbish.

One man's junk, is another man's treasure

• User profile image
    AndyC

UlsterFry wrote:
    One man's junk, is another man's treasure

Yeah. But I was 'doing a W3bbo' and dismissing it because I don't like it. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

hehe,  just like me and Nvidia cards at the minute! 
    Grrr Nvidia bad, bad Nvidia Big Smile

• User profile image
    ally-the-​great

[hya
    Smiley

• User profile image
    ally-the-​great

have u msn bbz:)

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.