Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

I'm never buying songs from iTunes again...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

For school, I had to get a song and the only way I knew how to get it was iTunes as Walmart didn't have it. So I installed their software, brought the song, burned it and uninstalled their software. Apple has charged my Credit Card for $0.99 and has a hold on $1.02... I am ready to call them up and demand that they delete all records of my Credit Card from their systems as that $1.02 does NOT belong to them and they never stated that they would place a hold on funds.

You could say that I'm overreacting but I hate it when people place holds on funds that do not belong to them. By the way, I can't wait for Microsoft to come out with its own Music service; I'm sure that Microsoft will not hold on to money that does not belong to it.

Edit: I called them, a recording told me to go to their support site (first company I have ever dealt with that does not have customer service over the phone). I sent them a formal request to remove my Credit Card from their systems via their website and told them that they will never have my business again. Hopefully they will comply with my request.

• User profile image
    cageyjames

Shining Arcanine wrote:
    I'm sure that Microsoft will not hold on to money that does not belong to it.

Maybe Microsoft wouldn't, but you don't know about their "processing agent".  I doubt it is Apple doing this anyway.  *shrug*  A friend used his ATM card to buy gas one day, used Credit instead of ATM because he didn't want to enter his pin, and the gas company put a 100 dollar hold on his checking account causing him to bounce checks.  Happens all the time, you just never know about it.

• User profile image
    lars

Ey, wait a second... shouldn't you be complaining on an Apple messageboard? Wink

/Lars.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

lars wrote:
    Ey, wait a second... shouldn't you be complaining on an Apple messageboard? Wink

/Lars.

Maybe I will post a complaint on one but I prefer complaining about the competition on Microsoft's forums as the people here are nicer. Smiley

• User profile image
    librarian

All this for $0.03.  Kinda crazy.  It might be your bank thought because mine only holds $0.99 for the songs.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

librarian wrote:
    All this for $0.03.  Kinda crazy.  It might be your bank thought because mine only holds $0.99 for the songs.

You misread what I said. I said that they charged me $0.99 and have a hold on an additional $1.02.

• User profile image
    AT

Usually your on-hold money must return back to you in 48 hours.

This shortcoming is based on two-step nature of credit card processing.

First step is Authorization to secure money and another is Settlement to take them from you into merchant account.

This kind of on-hold usually occur then you take cash from ATM not from your bank. Processing center secure as much as possible money on-hold to be able get commission - because it can vary based on Bank-to-Bank agreements and complex commission structure.

But I'm unsure what happened in your case. If it's processing center or Apple fault.
    It can be possible that Apple authorized your singe purchase twice - but settled only one. But in this situation it must be simply another 0,99.

Total $2.01 is something really strange for me.

The best way to deal with this kind of problems is to call your bank first for advice and inform them on your problem. Only in case if bank will be unable to help or ask to contact vendor - you can contact a merchant.

P.S> After reading Apple site I start to believe that this is a part of Apple technology process. "To minimize the number of charges to your credit card, Apple consolidates purchases into individual charges of up to $20. ".
    They probably make heavy optimizations with Auth/Settle to not pay too much for processing fees.

• User profile image
    object88

Shining Arcanine wrote:
    You could say that I'm overreacting [snip]

You're overreacting.  Not to mention spreading FUD.  I'll don my grumpy old man hat now.

Have you ever used Amazon's A9 service?  I signed up for it (including credit card info, for later purchases), and they preauth'ed a buck.  I only noticed it because I happened to be balancing my account later that night.  A day later, the pre-auth was gone.

This going to become commonplace in tomorrow's online market.  If you enter a CC#, they're going to test it for validity, esp. if it's a scenario involving multiple transactions.  Look at it this way-- say you've selected 10 songs, so you're giong to get chanrged $9.90.  Now, your card isn't going to get rung up for $0.99 ten times, is it?  They can queue the charges until the end of the day, and ring you up then.  But if they don't test your card first, then they can get screwed.  Or would you rather wait until the end of the day to get your downloads?

What makes you think the Microsoft would do anything different?

And you think it's odd that the iTunes website doesn't have on-the-phone customer support?  Have you ever tried to contact a human being at Amazon.com, or eBay.com?  At least you found a phone number.

Again, I say you're overreacting.  Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.