Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

MSN Messenger 7.5 beta started

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Carlos Luna

Microsoft has now started the Beta testing the next sub-version 7.5 of their popular instant messaging client, MSN Messenger. All those who were recently received an invitation to join the Beta testing program should already have access to the latest Beta which is currently at build 160.

The latest Beta includes several new and improved features such as Dynamic Backgrounds, Connection trouble shooter and a feature similar to MsgPlus' popular Custom Sounds - Voice Clip. The login screen now has a redesigned Interface which sports the display picture.

Microsoft released the beta via Connect, a new portal which allows Microsoft and participating members to collaborate on future products from the company. Connect makes it easy to submit documented bugs and solutions for problems, and is constantly monitored by the developers at Redmond.

Original source here

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Carlos Luna wrote:
    The latest Beta includes several new and improved features such as Dynamic Backgrounds, Connection trouble shooter and a feature similar to MsgPlus' popular Custom Sounds - Voice Clip. The login screen now has a redesigned Interface which sports the display picture

Yet more bloatware and still no mention of toning down the adverts.

• User profile image
    blowdart

W3bbo wrote:

So use Windows Messenger.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

blowdart wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:

So use Windows Messenger.

I already do Smiley

• User profile image
    Andre Da Costa

The only other feature in Messenger I use is Alerts, which also available in Windows Messenger. The only thing they need to work on in MSN Messenger is better support for Corporate networks which already seamless when it comes Windows Messenger.

• User profile image
    Spitfire15

W3bbo wrote:
    Carlos Luna wrote:The latest Beta includes several new and improved features such as Dynamic Backgrounds, Connection trouble shooter and a feature similar to MsgPlus' popular Custom Sounds - Voice Clip. The login screen now has a redesigned Interface which sports the display picture

Calm down dear, it's only a Beta. You'll never know what will happen.

• User profile image
    paulo
  • User profile image
    Maurits

You know what I'd like to see?  A decentralized IM system where I can run my own server.  Like jabber, but where you can register your server in the DNS record of your domain (like an MX record.)

That way I don't have to worry about Microsoft reading my IM... or Yahoo... or AOL...

• User profile image
    Andre Da Costa

I suspect Microsoft is going to turn MSN Messenger in a operating system one day.

I can just picture the file system - MSNTFS-Messenger

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Christ, now they've put a Search the Web option under the ad, so more space is wasted.

Maurits wrote:
    You know what I'd like to see?  A decentralized IM system where I can run my own server.  Like jabber, but where you can register your server in the DNS record of your domain (like an MX record.)

Drop that suggestion on both the Jabber mailing lists and the DNS ones. Jabber has been submitted to the IETF and is called XMPP there. So getting the DNS people to consider a specific record type might work.

Then again, what's wrong without such a DNS extension?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Guys... what's wrong with IRC?

Yknow... someone needs to make an IRC client "that thinks its an IM client", one that specilises in /query mode, rather than /channel mode. 4TW!

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

I had that idea for my IRC client because Avalon doesn't support MDI. But the project's currently on ice thanks to GTA:SA.

• User profile image
    geekling

W3bbo wrote:
    Carlos Luna wrote:The latest Beta includes several new and improved features such as Dynamic Backgrounds, Connection trouble shooter and a feature similar to MsgPlus' popular Custom Sounds - Voice Clip. The login screen now has a redesigned Interface which sports the display picture

Here's what I don't understand: why is everything you don't like bloatware?

I mean, with that logic, your entire site is bloatware because I don't use it.

I don't understand, so, can you help me?

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

Well I can side with W3bbo with the fact that this voice clip nonsense is bloat ware. You've got voice chat capabilities, why would you want intermittent voice chat capabilities? This seems more like a novelty feature that anything useful.

• User profile image
    wacko

I can say I was disappointed with this release I personally would like to see a sleek new UI because I am not a fan of the current one, maybe something like
    UI

• User profile image
    W3bbo

geekling wrote:
    Here's what I don't understand: why is everything you don't like bloatware?

I mean, with that logic, your entire site is bloatware because I don't use it.

I don't understand, so, can you help me?

Google Definitions sums it up nicely.

My Windows Messenger 4.7 does exactly what it needs to, but with only 8MB of RAM.

MSN Messenger does more than I need it to, but seems to want to hog 30MB of RAM, plus another 4MB for each conversation window I open. Windows Messenger only claims 500KB for each new window.

• User profile image
    dnrfan

wrote:
    Calm down dear, it's only a Beta. You'll never know what will happen.
    Messenger should always be concidered "BETA"

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.