Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

CD drives lagging Explorer

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    JParrish

Please consider handling the reading of drives as a task that takes time in explorer.. if I click "My Computer" I should be able to see my hard drive(s) even if my computer is blocking while trying to read a CD I just inserted to figure out if it can autoplay it, or what data to display in explorer.

The CD spin up time, coupled with the time it takes to get the data for the drives display info, shouldn't dictate not displaying the rest of the available drives. It seems to have improved with XP, but just now while inserting a disk and then opening explorer I waited 5-8 seconds waiting to see anything in the view.

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

Heh.  I just posted this last week...

http://weblogs.asp.net/larryosterman/archive/2004/05/24/140396.aspx

Someone should have read my blog Smiley

• User profile image
    sbc

It is often other drives as well - you may get a delay when you have mapped drives and you are disconnected from a network. It often happens with floppy disks as well.

Is it actually possible to patch Windows to fix this (even Windows 2000) - do little updates actually occur that are undocumented (or hidden in a readme file)?

• User profile image
    Manip

This problem has existed since Windows 95 maybe they will fix it in the next version [Giggle]. 

As a temp solution you could use TweakUI to 'remove' the CD-Rom from My Computer. The CD-Rom will still be accessible by typing the path in directly and programs will still have no trouble finding it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

• User profile image
    sbsummer

yes,it's a big problem,I wait so long.

• User profile image
    lars

I think the general Microsoft CDROM drivers have some screws loose. A few weeks ago I had about 200 CDs that I wanted to copy to a new harddrive. And sure, a few of the CDs wouldn't work. What bugged me was how the computer reacted. I got everything from it just disregarding that I'd put a CD in the drive, the infamous "parameter is not correct", windows losing control over the drive, and even Windows locking up.

I tried it with three different brands of drives (LG, Pioneer, Yamaha) and got the same result. I guess Windows losing control over the drive (not responding to open, close, polling for new CDs etc) could be blaimed on the firmware.
    But windows crashing because of a bad CD is just unacceptable. This was on Windows XP SP1 (all updates) and the drivers are standard Microsoft drivers.

/Lars.

• User profile image
    Manip

If your copying CDs:

- Open Task Manager (CTRL-Alt-Delete)
    - End Task on explorer 
    - File > New Task (Run)
    - Type 'CMD'
    - Then use copy and or Xcopy to move the files to the hard-disk.

• User profile image
    object88

Manip wrote:

- End Task on explorer 

I can't say that I've ever found that to be a great practice.  More often than not, my whatsit-- system tray?-- gets all out of whack.  Stuff that was there doesn't show up (although it's still running), whatever's in Startup gets launched again.

I don't think that the system ever expects Explorer to be relaunched, and doesn't like it when it does.

I would hope there's a better way to work around lock(ed|ing) CD drives.

• User profile image
    JParrish

LarryOsterman wrote:
    Heh.  I just posted this last week...

http://weblogs.asp.net/larryosterman/archive/2004/05/24/140396.aspx

Someone should have read my blog Smiley

Yep.. they sure should have.. like the other user pointed out.. it's been a problem for 10 years!! Makes me wonder if it really is so simple that they aren't offloading the IO to a thread.. that would be unbelievable first that it was done, and secondly that it was decided to continue to do it for 10 years.

• User profile image
    Jaz

object88 wrote:
    Manip wrote:
    - End Task on explorer 

I can't say that I've ever found that to be a great practice.  More often than not, my whatsit-- system tray?-- gets all out of whack.  Stuff that was there doesn't show up (although it's still running), whatever's in Startup gets launched again.

I don't think that the system ever expects Explorer to be relaunched, and doesn't like it when it does.

I would hope there's a better way to work around lock(ed|ing) CD drives.

that needs fixing in longhorn, sytem tray shouldn't be so volatile.

• User profile image
    object88

Jaz wrote:
    that needs fixing in longhorn, sytem tray shouldn't be so volatile.

Oh yea, another bad side effect of killing explorer: Task Manager doesn't stay in the system tray afterwards.  You can pull it up by right-clicking in the taskbar, but if you minimize, poof-- it's gone again.  Which is a pain in the butt for me, since I need to frequently get to it to kill aspnet_wp.exe.

So yea, killing explorer, not the best way to go in my book.  Smiley

• User profile image
    lars

I ended up writing a small script for it. CD-drives have been around for ages. It shouldn't matter if I flatten a hamster and cram it in my CD-tray - Windows shouldn't hang anyway!

/Lars.

• User profile image
    Manip

If your silly enough to send taskman to the system tray just
    simply open another copy (CTRL-ALT-Delete, again), isn't
     exactly hard. Also those complaining about system tray
    problems after reload need to upgrade to XP, that is a
    pre-XP issue.

• User profile image
    Jaz

i disagree, i have seen instances where things like ICQ hasn't shown up or various other things that i can't reel off right now.

• User profile image
    OldManCoyote

They really need to put that on a seperate, non determinist thread.

Have a UI say something like "waiting..." while the rest of the explorer operations are uneffected.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.