Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

July CTP of Visual Studio 2005

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    irascian

Just in case anybody else downloaded the July CTP of Whidbey from MSDN over the weekend and was wondering why the installation of SQL Server Express fails! 

A colleague has just forwarded the following:

"10:00 AM – So, our detection logic is causing SQL Server Express installation to look like it failed (as the post-install check looks for the version the build was generated with). Decide to push this into Known Issues that accompany the download as the install actually succeeds but only looks like it has failed. Also, its too late now as the media is being burned as we speak."

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Is this the new CTP that fixes the XML-Element coloring bug?

• User profile image
    irascian

W3bbo wrote:
    Is this the new CTP that fixes the XML-Element coloring bug?

I don't know whether it fixes the XML-Element coloring bug. It's the new CTP that was made available to MSDN Universal subscribers last weekend. There is also a July CTP of VSTS in Virtual PC format which was made available just last night.

Tell me how to reproduce "the XML-Element coloring bug" and I'll tell you if it's fixed.

• User profile image
    Sampy

Could be worse.

Sometimes spend 4 hours getting a daily build just to find that debugging doesn't work Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

irascian wrote:
    Tell me how to reproduce "the XML-Element coloring bug" and I'll tell you if it's fixed.

Right here.

• User profile image
    irascian

It's fixed Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

irascian wrote:
    It's fixed Smiley

Is this one fixed too? Smiley

• User profile image
    irascian

That's not fixed Sad

• User profile image
    HellSnoopy

I guess this is newer than beta 2 ?

• User profile image
    irascian

HellSnoopy wrote:
    I guess this is newer than beta 2 ?

Yes, but probably less robust.  I think Beta 2 was equivalent to April CTP and they've issued June CTP since.

I've just installed the VSTS 2005 July CTP which has been put up as a Virtual PC 2004 image which is really cool because installation is lightening fast. You just run the .exe and assuming you have 1.5GB memory spare to allocate the virtual PC you can have a Windows Server 2003 PC with everything installed running as a virtual PC inside Windows XP. Very cool.

I think I'm going to have to make sure my next laptop has AT LEAST 2GB!

Unfortunately I can't log in. See separate post!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.