Coffeehouse Thread

116 posts

Anti-Vista Petition

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Since "Vista" has been derrided by a lot of members, myself included, I've started this petition/list thingie.

Gentlemen, start your keyboards!

• User profile image
    blowdart

W3bbo wrote:
    Since "Vista" has been derrided by a lot of members, myself included, I've started this.

Gentlemen, start your keyboards!

Oh for crying out loud.

Right I've started this

• User profile image
    yyy

Good idea - I've already added my suggestion Smiley

• User profile image
    cravikiran

If you don't like it you can always do a silent protest and if its the general feeling, maybe it'll catch on as an unofficial boycott.  But, give it a chance.  See what they do with it. 

• User profile image
    j0217995

This is silly we going to have a pettition for every thing that W3bbo or whatever doesn't like?  I know next time MS comes up w/ a product Steve or Bill needs to ask him how what he thinks

• User profile image
    blowdart

j0217995 wrote:
    This is silly we going to have a pettition for every thing that W3bbo or whatever doesn't like?  I know next time MS comes up w/ a product Steve or Bill needs to ask him how what he thinks

• User profile image
    yyy

What's wrong in suggesting better names? After all, we are the customers...

• User profile image
    AndyC

yyy wrote:

What's wrong in suggesting better names? After all, we are the customers...

Because that's what marketing drones are for...

• User profile image
    Tensor

yeah lets run everything as a committee - that way we can please everyone all the time.

Good grief.

• User profile image
    Cider

How about Windows Life?

Then when we have the likes of w3bbo complaining about pointless stuff like the name of the OS or CSS 3.0.23233.2121, we can tell him its better in the latest version of Windows and so he should Get A Life.

• User profile image
    brussell

They already have released the name and have a site for it. Do you really think they'll change the name because a few people don't like it?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

brussell wrote:
    They already have released the name and have a site for it. Do you really think they'll change the name because a few people don't like it?

Honda did.

• User profile image
    Arran

I really don’t think there will be that many people that don’t like it.

What reason do you have to dislike it?  Its easy to just decide you don’t like something.  Its not as easy to say why and give a solid argument.

Its a name of a product and it has meaning (even if that’s in a marketing sense), it does not have a impact on the really important stuff about it.

Also quite like the video on
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx

• User profile image
    Nata1

What's Vista?  Is that the new Longhorn name or something?

That's not a good name

• User profile image
    Nata1

I don't know, actually its kind of catchy.  It works

The font they use makes it work

because of marketing, and how big Microsoft is, people will accept that everywhere and won't even think of the name.

Hey, I even like it now!! Thats marketing.

• User profile image
    BenZila

Nata1 wrote:
    I don't know, actually its kind of catchy.  It works

The font they use makes it work

because of marketing, and how big Microsoft is, people will accept that everywhere and won't even think of the name.

Hey, I even like it now!! Thats marketing.

Hehe, changed opinion in 2 posts Big Smile The power of microsofts marketing team Wink

• User profile image
    Arran

The thing is MS go through this every time.  People crying out "What's wrong with using <insert code name here> as its name". 
    If they used that it would not be its code name its the name.  I doubt code names are thought about that much and i very much doubt marketing monkeys are involved.

Just accept it and move on.  Put your effort into reporting more beta bugs or offer real product feedback.

There is nothing wrong with saying what you think, but stop taking things too far.  Its just plain boring!

• User profile image
    lars

W3bbo wrote:
    brussell wrote:They already have released the name and have a site for it. Do you really think they'll change the name because a few people don't like it?
    Honda did.

I think the Honda case was a little bit worse...

"Car maker Honda introduced their new car "Fitta" in the Nordic countries during 2001, only to find out that "fitta" is an old word, currently used in vulgar language to refer to a woman's genitals in Swedish, Norwegian and Danish. It was renamed to "Honda Jazz" for the Nordic market. According to newspaper articles, Japanese ads said that "[Fitta] is small on the outside, but large on the inside". It's now called the Honda Fit in Japanese markets."

Source: Marketing Translation Mistakes

It's one of the most vulgar and offensive words in the swedish language. To make it even worse, that word is also slang for "coward". With that name they wouldn't have sold a single car.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.