Coffeehouse Thread

2 posts

The First Developer Days, anyoneremember it?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    OldManCoyote

I think it was back in '91 or '92, I forget.

But anyway, one of the themes was "Finding Bill Gates." During the program, between demos and interviews, the group manager for Developer Division/UE would ride around in a small red sports car. I think it was an MG. He would ride around the Redmond campus and a few places around redmond and Bellevue I think. He was acting like a reporter, looking for the 'ellusive' Bill Gates and chatting about the campus. There was a video camera mounted in the passanger seat so we saw him in real time.

This was all done live, even the roving group manager and beamed to over 50+ theatres around the US and other countries.

He never did find him, BillG, during the show...

(I think MS is too serious now; they should put it more 'fun' or 'silly' items in their presentations again.)

• User profile image
    DaveBost

I'm not sure it was that early, maybe it was.  But if it's the same DevDays I remember the topic was Windows 95.  And if I'm not mistaking, Robert Hess was the host and the set was made to look like a coffee shop.

The person driving around looking for BillG was going to deliver him the golden "propeller beany", for being the ultimate geek (or something along those lines).

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.