Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Enhanced Virus Protection

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    eagle

AMD’s enhanced virus protection security technology in combination with Microsoft’s Data Execution Prevention in the upcoming Windows XP SP2 is designed to help render some viruses, specifically buffer overrun exploits, inoperable and prevent them from replicating and spreading to other systems.

• User profile image
    Manip

Something I wish had happened is, currently we have two new big technologies moving in.. 64bit CPU's AND Execution Prevention. Why didn't anyone think to combine these so we can assume that ALL new 64bit CPU's have execution protection.

• User profile image
    eagle
  • User profile image
    Jaz

intel is coming out with the same stuff soon

• User profile image
    eagle

Intel has told the press they will include it, but if you search their website there is not a word about it. Intel recently hit a WALL, the Pentium 4 3.40 LEEKS! It is not as fast as the Pentium 4 3.0, so it is back to the drawing board for Intel as all the roadmaps are under construction.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

eagle wrote:

Intel has told the press they will include it, but if you search their website there is not a word about it. Intel recently hit a WALL, the Pentium 4 3.40 LEEKS! It is not as fast as the Pentium 4 3.0, so it is back to the drawing board for Intel as all the roadmaps are under construction.

The 3.4GHz P4 is faster than the 3GHz P4. The difference is in the cores. Intel's "Prescott" core is slower and hotter than their previous "Northwood" core. They say that they are going to come out with new steppings that will fix that.

• User profile image
    eagle

Never listen to what “they say”, System Builders were the ones who told them the P4 3.4 was a dud.. I don’t think they will “fix” it, they are abandoning the architecture.   

Intel, the world's largest chipmaker, publicly acknowledged that it had hit a "thermal wall" on its microprocessor...

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

eagle wrote:

Never listen to what “they say”, System Builders were the ones who told them the P4 3.4 was a dud.. I don’t think they will “fix” it, they are abandoning the architecture.   

Intel, the world's largest chipmaker, publicly acknowledged that it had hit a "thermal wall" on its microprocessor...

Intel announced new stepings that would fix it and I'm sure that they are going to release them as they plan these things months if not years ahead of time. Chances are that they planned for the 1st Prescott's performance to be below the Northwood's performance.

Last check (a week ago) Intel planned on releasing a 3.6GHz processor later in the year.

By the way, overclockers manage to get the P4 to 3.8GHz on air cooling and 5GHz with exotic cooling. With those figures in mind, you would think that Intel could push their processors to at least 3.8GHz if they wanted to.

• User profile image
    Manip

MAYBE they could. But they assume everyone uses the supplied PCF, it would cost them more to supply a better one. Which would make the CPU appear more expensive.

Everyone automatically assumes that hardware vendors under-clock their products so they can sell an update later but in reality this is only possible in a monopolistic market. When there is competition it is in Intel's best interest to sell their CPU's as cheaply and fast as possible, not to screw around with customers as AMD would just clock past them and match price.

PCF: Processor Cooling Fan

• User profile image
    eagle

I don't see this correcting the fundamental problem of leakage.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.