Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Ideas for Improving MSDN

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

I'm sure all the "real" programers around here will have ideas for this - or are happy with it the way it is - but as a non-programmer / designer, here are some quick thoughts on making it easier ( for me anyway)

1. Ready to run samples
    In the IE 3 / 4 days there use to be lots of downloadable Samples on MSDN.  There would be a description - but also a download of a RUNNING WORKING script or app or flyouts etc.

These days i find you have the description broken down in lines of code - then a paragraph describing what it does - then more lines of code etc.

For intermediate users, it is MUCH more helpful to just grab a working sample and hack away at it - learning as you go.

2. Perhaps break site down into Beginner / Intermediate / Advanced / Enterprise

3. on Asp.net - the Starter kits ( portal etc)
    again - ALL require programming knowledge to get functioning - please post working running samples with install instructions

4. MSDN SIMPLE Search ( laid out like google ) without useful articles purged ( ie; type an error in google - and youll find the error and fix - at MSDN - more times than not - you wont find anything - or get links trying to sell you stuff

5. Please remove and redesign the Frontpage website from the office website and integrate it into MSDN.  Position it as a Visual Interdev lite or what have you. * As youve removed it from Office it shouldnt be there - although you should bundle Frontpage LITE with all versions of office - as it helps us sell the tool to clients ( see Frontpage post)

Ideas for headings could include:

- Step by step RSS with Frontpage
    - Content management with Frontpage
    - Vectors in Longhorn explained - free tool

Lastly - if Frontpage REALLY is suppose to be a dreamweaver competitor - then USE IT ( eat your own dog food) at microsoft.com

so to summarize:  More web dev - more sample code - less programing ( remember this is for non-programmers who still need to build tech releated stuff)

• User profile image
    lars

There are so much example code in MSDN and Codewize that it would take a lifetime to look at it all. Then there are documentation, webcasts and instruction videos and books. Not to mention all the communites and newsgroups.

"it is too hard READING about it.."

Do you think it's that easy for everyone else?!

/Lars.

• User profile image
    jamie

"There are so much example code in MSDN"

yes but not like before - there are not as many - "Download this sample" as their use to be..

theres lots of sample code - if you no where to put it / use it

• User profile image
    jamie

replying to myself before the 50 RTFM posts lol

Some people are more visual - so to Shining Archaine - who said in another post " just learn .NET" ... well ive tried... it is too hard READING about it..

but if there was a running portal or content management or polling systems - then i could learn it.. by playing with it - seeing it - using it - like ive "sort of" learned asp - javascript / dhtml /html

by samples

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Point A is 10 inches away from Point C.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Shining Arcanine wrote:

Tongue Out

• User profile image
    MadRaven

Shining Arcanine wrote:

I don't want to argue or something, but actually it is wrong what you are saying.
    It is only one solution to the question, namely when A, B and C are on the same line (road, whatever) and B and C are on the same side of A (to the right of left, doesn't matter).
    But if all are on the same line and B is on the left and C is on the right of A the solution is quite different. It is 10/3
    And the question doesn't mention that they are on the same line. So basically you cant tell the distance between A and C

• User profile image
    jamie

lol

thats why i like WORKING samples Smiley

• User profile image
    warren

FrontPage is a website design application.

It is NOT a full-fledged content-management services solution, which is what a company like Microsoft needs to maintain their truly vast network of websites.

Microsoft very likely uses their own Content Management Server, in conjunction with Visual Studio.NET to write aspx templates, and in conjunction with a web-based client for people to contribute content.

FrontPage is not the right tool for the job... that's why they don't use it.

• User profile image
    jamie

thats why im saying to make it able to be used for a world class website

theres no reason why i cant
    it is a world class application

im saying add whatever it lacks - position like interdev - and on the other end of the spectrum - put fp lite back into all versions of office - highend - lowend

• User profile image
    jamie

also re; "Do you think it's that easy for everyone else?!"

not sure..

i just no if i read about code - i get Calvin face

but if i have it working to begin with and play around with it - i can alter it / customise it to be completely different from the original

* and NO i cant even figure out the above puzzle Wink

• User profile image
    lars

Here's some stuff that should get you started:

1) Get a copy of one of MS Press Step by Step books.

For instance Microsoft Visual Basic .NET Step by Step. They guide you with examples from a very basic level.

From the Amazon reviews:
    "If you are a complete novice to programming, but somehow own a copy of Visual Studio .NET (perhaps unlikely!!), then this may be the book for you. The book covers all the basic programming concepts such as 'if' clauses, loops, and variables in an easy, friendly way."

2) Download the 101 Visual Basic and C# Code Samples

"This download includes a master set of Visual Basic and Visual C# code samples demonstrating various aspects of the language in the following areas: syntax, data access, Windows Forms, Web development and Web services, XML, security, the .NET Framework, file system and file I/O, interop and migration issues, COM+, ADO.NET, and advanced topics including graphics with GDI+, remoting, serialization, MSMQ, and Windows services."

3) Watch Visual Basic At The Movies 

Here is where you get that free copy of VB.Net btw. Smiley

And don't forget to watch the VBTV series. They're just too funny!

Happy codin'

/Lars.

• User profile image
    jamie

thanks for taking the time to write that out lars..  perhaps i may give it a shot..

• User profile image
    timw

I've heard alot about MS and new search technology, lets have some on the MSDN site or on any MS site, I have to use google to find the content I'm looking for. 

• User profile image
    lars

MSN search is pretty funny. I just found out through my web server logs that my movie review blog is result number three when searching for the Swedish translation of "the worlds worst crooks" ("Världens största bovar") on search.msn.se.

LOL!

/Lars.

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

lars wrote:

3) Watch Visual Basic At The Movies 

Here is where you get that free copy of VB.Net btw. Smiley

And don't forget to watch the VBTV series. They're just too funny!

Happy codin'

/Lars.

Looks like they just ran out of the free copies...per the MSDN site:

"Due to overwhelming demand, supplies of the complimentary Not For Resale copies of Visual Basic .NET 2003 Standard Edition* are now exhausted. Tens of thousands were claimed by developers. If you wish to explore Visual Basic .NET on a trial basis..."

• User profile image
    lars

I guess generating them product keys is a full time job. Wink

/Lars.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.