Coffeehouse Thread

36 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

[Poll]Will you upgrade your graphics card with the new Longhorn Display Driver Model in late 2006?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    leighsword

1.Yes.
    2.or No.
    3.I'll buy a new PC when Vista is released. [append]
    4.depend on the current graphics card is good enough for Vista, for example, If my FX5700 is enough then no. [append]
    5.I don't know.

Me frist.
    1.Yes
    because my current motherboard(integrated with graphics card) is very cheap.

• User profile image
    Steve411

No mam, sir, it, him, she.

I'll buy a new PC when Vista is released.
    Steve.

• User profile image
    eddwo

Probably not. My home desktop has a GeforceFX 5600, and at work I have GeForce FX 5200. Neither were ever top of the range, but both should be good enough for Vista.

• User profile image
    krishnakuma​rhere

Steve411 wrote:

Roger that...

I'll do the same...

Smiley

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

If my FX5700 is enough then no. I might consider a Vista-based Media Center PC though.

• User profile image
    krishnakuma​rhere

Is it just the graphic card that needs to be upgraded...?

What about RAM and Hard drive..? they too need to be upgraded...

RAM in terms of size and HDD in terms of speed(RPM)

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=91624

check this out and prepare a list of things to be upgraded..

And start saving money too.. Wink

• User profile image
    leighsword

krishnakumarhere wrote:
    Is it just the graphic card that needs to be upgraded...?

What about RAM and Hard drive..? they too need to be upgraded...

RAM in terms of size and HDD in terms of speed(RPM)

check this out and prepare a list of things to be upgraded..

And start saving money too..

Extreme minimum requirements:
    1.4 GHz processor
    256 MB memory
    64 MB videocard
    7200 RPM HD 2 MB cache

For the highest settings (speculation):
    3.6 GHz processor
    2 GB memory
    1 GB videocard with WGF 2.0 support
    15000 RPM HD 1 GB flash memory
    what about 'will you upgrade your machine for Vista in late 2006?'
    1.Yes, I will.
    2.No,I won't use Vista.
    3.I'll buy a new PC when Vista is released.
    4.Depend on the current machine is good enough for Vista.
    5.I don't know.

• User profile image
    Pimp Daddy

It looks like two of the three computers that are currently in my house will be able to run Vista straight away. However, I don't think I'll be getting the OS anytime soon.

• User profile image
    Erisan

leighsword wrote:

Extreme minimum requirements:
    1.4 GHz processor
    256 MB memory
    64 MB videocard
    7200 RPM HD 2 MB cache

For the highest settings (speculation):
    3.6 GHz processor
    2 GB memory
    1 GB videocard with WGF 2.0 support
    15000 RPM HD 1 GB flash memory

what about 'will you upgrade your machine for Vista in late 2006?'
    1.Yes, I will.
    2.No,I won't use Vista.
    3.I'll buy a new PC when Vista is released.
    4.Depend on the current machine is good enough for Vista.
    5.I don't know.

Can't believe those are requirements. Those are way too high ...
    But if those are real, my answer is 2 (or even better "I don't need Vista")

• User profile image
    Pimp Daddy

I realise there will be a point where XP will move onto extended support (isn't Win2k on this at the moment?), but what will happen to all those average home users who can't afford a Vista compliant PC after the extended support deadline has passed. Some of them might not know the best places to go for help instead of the people who made the OS.

I recently fixed a system for someone that was still running Windows 98! That hasn't been supported in any way for a while, but it proves that some people can't afford to keep up to date with the OSs.

• User profile image
    athan

Steve411 wrote:

Considering that Vista will be released after a year+ I think that Steve411 is right. A new PC will make migration to Vista much smoother and trouble-free.

Of course, everything depends on device driver availability! Remember what happened when Win2000 was first released... Wink

• User profile image
    Steve411

sakisp wrote:
    Steve411 wrote:I'll buy a new PC when Vista is released.

Considering that Vista will be released after a year+ I think that Steve411 is right. A new PC will make migration to Vista much smoother and trouble-free.

Of course, everything depends on device driver availability! Remember what happened when Win2000 was first released...

I'm always right, and thanks. Tongue Out(just kidding) There is no point in worrying about Vista now. Personally it's all still a myth until I get to use it . Tongue Out

Steve.

• User profile image
    leighsword

sakisp wrote:
    Steve411 wrote:I'll buy a new PC when Vista is released.

Of course, everything depends on device driver availability! Remember what happened when Win2000 was first released...

as i know, win2000 was huge successful because of enterprise users is what win2000 focus on, but i don't know what happend when win2000 was shiped.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

I'm pushing my upgrade away until there'd dualcores and full PCIe hardware. The graphics card will however be a moderately priced model until some time after Vista.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

(3) Vista = new computer.

Didn't Microsoft announce they were creating a light-weight XP version for older computers (not Starter edition)?

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

I'm not going to go out and BUY Vista retail. I'll get it with a new computer or whatnot. That said, I just snaggeda  Radeon 9800 Pro (256MB) card on eBay for 50$ so I'll be good Smiley

• User profile image
    krishnakuma​rhere

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS AND RESOURCE USAGE
    Vista uses a lot of memory, but it uses it for a good reason. Vista doesn't even have loading times when you're using Explorer, Internet Explorer or any other primary Windows component. The big amount of memory thats being used isn't just for the textures but it contains every important file thats needed by Explorer when running a primary Windows application. When you start a game, the Vista graphics interface immediately unloads everything out of the memory that isn't needed by your 'game hardware' (video, sound and physics card) such as the 3D Windows Desktop. Users are able to change the way Vista reacts when they boot up a game or 3D application. WGF is fully customizable to your own needs. For example, you can keep the Windows Desktop loaded and play a game at the same time, or if you have a fast system run both in split screen. To do all this fast loading and unloading you need to have fast memory and ofcourse a fast harddisk. But here's the problem. The harddisks we use today are far too slow (12000 RPM is not fast enough) and will be a huge bottleneck when loading huge amounts of files into the memory. That's why Microsoft and Samsung are working on a new Hybrid hard drive that will use 1 GB flash memory as a buffer. They want to take part of the load of the spinning drive and to lower loading times and boot times drastically. Vista will fully support this technology. Microsoft and Samsung are still working on a way to unload files very fast from the harddisks flash memory. Next year Microsoft will start a huge marketing campaign for new hardware they are developing and they will give an update on the development of the Hybrid harddisk. When using a Hybrid harddisk in a mid-range computer of today (2 GHz, 1 GB RAM) you will have boot-times of about 5-10 seconds. Imagine how fast a high-end PC in late 2006 will be.

Taken from this post

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Not this article again. Whoever made that one up, thanks for that. >Sad

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.